Help me pick which Core model as first PRS

Tanax

Hi!

New here. Hopefully this is posted in the correct forum!
I've always been an EBMM guy but recently got super interested in getting a PRS. I've been checking out a lot of reviews and think I'm gonna go for a Core model straight away as they are immensely beautiful as well as sounding good. This will be for home/studio use and I always believe guitars are not only amazing musical instruments but also art for the room :)

I'm having some trouble choosing which model though. I've "narrowed" it down to:

- Custom 24-08
- McCarty 594 Singlecut
- DGT
- Studio

Yeah, I know. Still a lot of narrowing left to do, lmao!
Since I don't have the possibility to test any of these guitars (there are almost no physical stores left in my area...), I guess my questions for you are the following:

- How do these differ in terms of usability, playability, shape, etc?
- How do these differ in terms of electronics?
- How do these differ in terms of sound?

I know some of these things are highly subjective, especially sound, but I'm looking for a ball park the general thought behind the models. I also know that some of these things are written on their product page, I'm looking for the information that isn't written there that might only be apparent for those of you that owns these models :)

If it helps, I'm looking for mainly rock tones. Everything from hard rock, classic rock, heavy rock, 80s rock (think AC/DC, Def Lepard, KISS, Europe) to modern rock (think Band Maid) type of tones. But of course, if it's versitile and can do many things, that might be preferred!

Sorry for a huge question like this, as my first post :)

Depending on preference for 22 or 24 frets, from the guitars listed: the DGT or CU24/08 will cover those bases I think.

Oh, and welcome!

Instead of having us guess blindly...

Which EBMM guitar(s) do you normally play and what do you like about them?

That will give us clues as to where your preferences lie.

I am of the opinion that some flavor of Custom 24 is the best way to get into PRS.

And Kanami of Band-Maid rocks one.

Eimt1khXcAIQuQ0

Of your list I’d go for the 24-08, it’s my favorite version of the Custom 24. If you wanted to stay with 22 frets and have a slightly thicker neck then I’d go with the semi hollow special.

I gotta get on board with the Cu24-08. Good enough for Kanami! The SC594 is going to put you in vintage G style of guitar. Of course, if you're a EBMM guy, likely already have a 24 fret guitar? If so, and you want to change up then the DGT, Studio and 509 are all good choices. The 509 is going to have the most convincing single coil sounds. If that's important to you, keep that in mind. The 509 has a 25.25" scale, so that will be a little closer to your EBMM. The DGT has a unique neck carve that "changes" as you move down the board. It's a little narrower, and has bigger frets.

All things considered, you can't go wrong with any of your choices.

- McCarty 594 Singlecut
- DGT
I would say that these are going to be the most versatile. The 509 is a different bird in that it does its own thing and does it really well. The DGT is a great all around guitar especially with all the coil taps and such. The Singlecut is just a straight ahead rock machine that can delve into other genres. I would honestly say try and find them in the wild and see what you like. Weight wise the singlecut will more than likely be the heaviest versus the DGT and 509 which will be in the 8lb range.

First make a list of the “must haves”. I recently just bought my first PRS and my list was only three. Made in Maryland, fixed bridge, and bird inlays. From there I went to neck profile. I am a Gibson guy at heart and I am most comfortable with a Gibson 60’s slim neck. So the only PRS neck profiles I was willing to roll the dice on were the pattern regular and pattern thin. After all that, I ended up with a S2 McCarty thin line. I could not be happier.

Having just received an NF3 today, and really digging what the Narrowfields can do, I’m liking that Studio as a first choice. A big ‘bucker and two NFs is going to cover a lot of ground. The 509 is another Swiss Army knife of a guitar. I played a pair of 513s (the 509s predecessor) for many years in a variety band, and they do it all.

Either would cover what you listed but, frankly, so would all the others! You can’t really make a poor choice from that list.

As others have mentioned, all are great options. A couple years back I started playing with a custom 24-08 and loved it and the next year I got a 594, and then a CE DW...and now I have a PRS addiction. So far I love them all for different reasons.
I bet you will enjoy any of the guitars you have on that list.

Still too way broad of list to pick for you. The batting order for me is-

Studio
DGT
24-08

But if I didn't already own a PRS the answer is easy, 24-08. Period. The Custom 24 should be you gateway drug and then pick your next fix after that.

Back