Help me pick some humbuckers for my CU24

Nah. Just not the same. A lot of great players don't like 24 fret guitars because the neck pickup doesn't sound like it does in a 22 fret guitar, and there's nothing you can do if that sound is lost because the pickup is not under the second octave harmonic anymore.

But clearly it doesn't bother everyone.

I know what you mean, but i have to admit im not sophisticated enough to use both humbuckers lol. Being super honest, i stay on the bridge most of the time and i just play with the tone and the volume.

I know what you mean, but i have to admit im not sophisticated enough to use both humbuckers lol. Being super honest, i stay on the bridge most of the time and i just play with the tone and the volume.
Eddie Van Halen made a lot of great music on a guitar with just a bridge humbucker so it can certainly be done. He even made it sound good playing clean chords. Growing up playing two pickup Gibsons, I've gotten used to the sound of a neck humbucker on a 22 fret guitar. Just what I'm used to. The neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar sounds as much like a middle pickup as a neck pickup, and it's a good sound...just not what I'm used to.

Eddie Van Halen made a lot of great music on a guitar with just a bridge humbucker so it can certainly be done. He even made it sound good playing clean chords. Growing up playing two pickup Gibsons, I've gotten used to the sound of a neck humbucker on a 22 fret guitar. Just what I'm used to. The neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar sounds as much like a middle pickup as a neck pickup, and it's a good sound...just not what I'm used to.

Lou, whats a good price for a pair of Dragon I ?

Lou, whats a good price for a pair of Dragon I ?
Dragon 1's are rare to find for less than $400 a set. You'll see them for $350. sometimes. There's several on Reverb.

Dragon 2's are less. $225 -250. They have nickel covers and the neck pickup seems to be the same pickup as in the Dragon 1 set.

But the Dragon 2 bridge pickup is not the same as a Dragon 1. It's 12K, not 20K, and it doesn't have a ceramic magnet. It has an alnico 4 magnet like the neck pickup and like some '59 Gibson paf pickups. Different sounding pickup.

The two pickups in either Dragon set are magnetically out of phase and meant to work with that 5 position rotary switch.

With a 3 way switch you'll get a thin out of phase sound when the two pickups are combined.

With the rotary switch you never combine the two pickups as you would with a 3 way switch.

The middle sound is one coil from the bridge pickup and one coil from the neck in series so it forms a humbucker that sounds just like a middle humbucker.

If you want to use Dragons with a 3 way switch, like in a Les Paul, you'll need to loosen the baseplate of one of the Dragons, slide out the magnet and flip it to reverse the polarity.

Then it'll be magnetically in phase with the other and sound fine when they're combined.

Last edited:
PRS really ought to bring back the Dragon 1 set. It's such a great pickup set for rock and for overdriven rock tones.

Make it in two versions:

1. magnetically in phase for use with a 3 way switch.
2. magnetically out of phase for use with the 5 position rotating switch.

They'd sell a lot of them.

They ought to put them in CE-22's and 24's again.

It would be nice if every guitarist had at least one PRS guitar with Dragon 1 pickups.

And one PRS with 50's paf style pickups. Like this black Korean SE Singlecut with Duncan Antiquitys.

I probably have $800 in it and it sounds like a top of the line guitar.

Last edited:
Back