Help me make an A/E guitar

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

After thinking for a few years now, that the Taylor T5z was something I was going to buy, I think I’ve finally decided against it. Here’ s why, and it matters in what I want to make. The guitar feels and plays great. Taylor is pretty much the acoustic version of PRS, in that they play and feel better than the others, and that they build great guitars VERY consistently. This guitar “seemed” to be in the wheelhouse of what I was looking for. I need something that I can do electric tones and acoustic tones.

What I don’t like... The T5z has a top mounted 5 way switch, of which one setting is the “acoustic” setting and the other 4 are various “electric” settings. I VASTLY prefer the setup of my JP12, which has a 3 way switch which is either Acoustic, Electric or both. It then has a full set of electric guitar puckups, switches and knobs, and back mounted controls for the acoustic tones. It also has dual output jacks. This means, that you can have complete playback chains specialized and dedicated to a whole output type. I can run an acoustic based output chain and an electric based output chain, feed each directly through IT’S OWN output from the guitar AND, flip between them or both, with a simple 3 way switch. Acoustic rhythm, electric leads? Flip one 3 way switch. PERFECT! Blend of some acoustic and some electric tones for either? Simple 3 way switch. The T5z had one output, so on top of the out of the way switch, you have to have an A/B switch on the floor to switch output chains.

So why not just use the JP12? Well, I have. And it works exactly as you’d expect. But in some instances, I’ll need lots of acoustic parts and a few electrics, and.... may need to change tunings on the fly between songs. So... yes, I need a fixed bridge.

All that said, here is where I’m at now. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to buy a new PRS SE Hollowbody II. But with no back plates, I have NO idea how to get into the insides of that guitar to add the needed wiring and switching. (Dang it! I really like that guitar and think it would be perfect for this!).

So, I figured I’d look at other SE models. Hmmm, Mira looks like it would work. Wait... I have a core Mira. Should I just get a Graphtech Ghost replacement bridge and add the wiring and switching to the Mira I already have? Does anybody know of a better acoustic system to add?

I know I could buy a used P model, but I REALLY want an S2 594. But that has the two piece fixed bridge. Should I get one of those and mod it? I’d prefer to mod the used Mira I already have, all other things being equal. Graphtech makes 1 and 2 piece bridges, so either style would work. I think I’d rather mode the Mira, unless there’s a better way.

Hoping for input on guitar models and on the piezo systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
If not just buying a HB with the integrated system (or P22/24), my first thought was to use an S2 Singlecut Standard. You can use the three way toggle like the JP and make a custom pick guard with a control layout that suits your needs. A stereo jack could be added or possibly put the dual jack with battery access on (if it fits). They used to be available in the accessory store.
You could probably do this with the Mira too, but I think it has a thinner body, so you might not have as much room to get it all in.

Oh, and there’s a rumor circulating that an SE Hollowbody with a piezo is due later this year. If they make it in blue, I’m screwed, blued and tattooed. An I don’t have anywhere to put it.

This was going to be my suggestion since I was the one who heard the rumor straight from the horse's mouth at the factory in March before the shutdown.

This was going to be my suggestion since I was the one who heard the rumor straight from the horse's mouth at the factory in March before the shutdown.
They have horses at the factory? I don't recall seeing them there during the Exp 2018 open house...do they use them to power the sanders?

:D

I must say, if the SE hollowbodies get released with a piezo option, I will also be all over one of those. Love my piezo-equipped PRS guitars!!

They have horses at the factory? I don't recall seeing them there during the Exp 2018 open house...

The horses have always been excluded from Experience events, mainly because it's supposed to be a celebration/promotion of PRS, and the horses are well-known neigh sayers.

Just ask Frau Blucher.

Last edited:
Well then, I think I just found my solution! That's worth waiting for.

They have horses at the factory? I don't recall seeing them there during the Exp 2018 open house...do they use them to power the sanders?

:D

I must say, if the SE hollowbodies get released with a piezo option, I will also be all over one of those. Love my piezo-equipped PRS guitars!!

Well the glue has to come from somewhere...

The horses have always been excluded from Experience events, mainly because it's supposed to be a celebration/promotion of PRS, and the horses are well-known neigh sayers.

Just ask Frau Blucher.

Not even for the mane event?!

Back