Help me decide....

Which is the singularly most awesome?

• Total voters

markd21

Getting ready to buy my next PRS. Looking to get something that's not too redundant to what I already have. I have narrowed it down to 4 potential choices...but two of these I think are a bit redundant, so I am seeking the opinion of those that own them.

My biggest concern is that I am gonna drop the cash on something that is TOO similar to my Brent Mason. That is already is my heavy rotation, as is my old EG 3.

Here's what I am considering:

1) 509. My concern is that it's "HSH" with lots of options. The BM is "HSH" too, with the mini-switches. Big differences? Obviously bolt-on vs. set neck. Steel bridge vs. Gen III (I think the BM has the steel bridge - haven't really looked).

2) Something in the 594 family - SC or DC. I would probably lean toward the SC594. Concern? My number one is the SC245 57/08. Mine has been modded to have the individual push/pull taps. Anybody with a 245 and a 594? Are the differences significant enough?

3) DGT. I am currently without a McCarty, and this one is attractive to me because of the individual volumes. Concern? Neck profile. I am pretty much in love with the Wide/Fat and the Pattern Regular(?) - or whatever the modern version of the WF is....

4) 408. I sold my Paul's because the BM was getting more use. At this point, I think the 408 would be the one that is almost off the list totally, considering I sold my Paul's - BUT....maybe there is something different enough about the 408?

I have a Santana, CU22, P22, SC245, SC250, Brent Mason, EG 3, multiple S2s. So, expert friends...help me out!! Kind of guide me in a direction. For reference, I am kind of leaning toward the DGT. Only bummer is the lack of color choices, lol....

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!!

That’s a hard choice, all are pretty solid.

I can tell you that the 594’s are awesome!
Have you tried the pattern vintage neck carve?

DGT is the logical choice. BUT, like dkilpatick said, the PV neck carve is amazing - if you haven’t tried it, you should. The LT pickups will be a bit different in tone from 57/08s, little less warm, more clarity.

LOVE my 408 ( I own the frost colored one in the below video ) it could be my only guitar :)

Also in love with my DGT that said mine has MIRA pickups in it ( came that way ) but I have played its twin with the stock DGT pickups these are stellar guitars.

IMG_3106 by

I have a 513 and it is also special, I hope to play my first 509 this weekend the 513 pickups have a different vibe that the narrow 408s in your BM.

594 - Not a huge fan of the LT pickups in these, played one with a 59/09 in the bridge and thats better, The 594 would be last on your list just not a fan of the shorter scale, bone nut and two piece bridge, 4 knobs

Well, I ordered a 2019 DGT 10 top with birds in McCarty Tobacco Sunburst. In the meantime, I also picked this up:

Custom 22 Wood Library, 10-top Quilt, Indian Rosewood neck, Hybrid hardware, 58/15LT pickups. I LOVE the CU22 platform, so this was a no brainer!!!

Good times!!! Thanks for the advice and guidance!

I did vote for the 594 - mostly because I love the vintage neck carve, scale length and the tone. Its perhaps not the most unique and could be replaced by most other Les Paul guitars - although not all offer the coil split options and quality of a PRS. If you want a more classic LP type tone, then this may well be a good option but whether its 'different' enough for you with your collection, I don't know.

I think though that the 509 may well be more unique. It may be similar to a Brent Mason but maybe different enough tonally to be worthwhile. The others could well be too similar to your other double humbucker guitars. The other option could be a Custom 24 or 24-08 (do you have a 24 fret guitar?) and with the position of the neck humbucker, that may also give you something different too.

DGT is such an easy response for me, but honestly, it would depend on what else I already had in the family. Personally, though I have a DGT Standard, I could easily justify also getting a maple topped version. There is just something special about s model feels, plays, and responds that defied logic. My weekend has been spent playing Mr. Clean on some new profiles from Mr. Michael Britt and I’m still shaking my head in disbelief. Even on a traditionally heavier “amp”, the Friedman Brown Eye, this guitar did every genre of music I can and cannot play. Even my drummer kept shaking his head with a big grin! With cranked reverb I was doing Ventures and Dick Dale, then changed rigs and fired up STP’s Sex Like Thing. I wish you similar guitar nirvana with your new DGT!

Back