Help me Decide - DGT or CU24

newfmp3

I'm saving for my first PRS. Something I have longed for almost 20 years now. I'm not rich, and after suffering some health issues since 2007 - present, well, I'll skip the story, but this is not a purchase I can repeat again any time soon for multiple reasons. So, I don't want to make the wrong choice. But, I can't leave the house much these days, and playing guitar is something I can do to keep myself from going insane lol. It just makes me happy to play.

I only recently got back into playing guitars. 37 yrs old., started playing when I was 11. So my main music is from the 80's to now. I have small'ish hands. It'll be rock, blues, pop type music. Sadly, I can't try before I buy. Even if I could travel, the nearest PRS shop is quite far away and would require a plane trip. So this is why I am having issues picking one. I have to rely on reviews online, youtube video's etc. Of course the problem with this is that people recommend only what they have. I am thinking this place probably has owners who own both. Some of you guys seem to have a LOT of guitars...I'm jealous! The other problem is that it seems that the new Custom 24 is wearing new pickups, so info online is limited. Just how different are the new pickups compared to 2010/2011 models? anyone got any vids of either guitar?

I have experience with Ibanez, Ovation Elites,Tele/strat and Les Paul necks. I'm thinking of going Pattern reg or thin, and of course the DGT neck. Any insight on this?

Of course, I want something nice too look at too. 10 top, birds, red'ish orange'ish colors ie black gold, violin burst etc. Binding around top. Prefer quilt, but flames are nice too. I really wish they didn't use uncovered pups in the new CU24, I think the new ones are..ugly. Little thing, but just my 2 cents. It wouldn't stop me from buying one put it that way. Sound, playability is more important. This Git will obviously not be gig'd.

So which one suits what type of music better? Which one is more versatile ie more different tones.

thanks

CU24 will be more modern with it's 24 frets and pickup switching. The DGT is geared more toward "classic" tones. 22 fret and slightly thicker body. The difference used to be greater when the CU24 had the HFS pickup in it which is far more modern than the current 59/09. I would probably go with the DGT since it has the thicker body(you could always change pickups if you wanted more modern), but that's just my taste. I also like the dual volume control on the DGT - nice to have volume for each pickup.

I agree, try to find someone with a good return policy.

fwiw - I just went through a similar process and landed with the CU24. This is THE guitar I bought: http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery ... om/s187235

I've dealt w/ Sweetwater before an and they have a good return policy. That said, I wanted a bit beefier neck (pattern regular) even though I too have smallish hands - I have a hard time bonding with really think necks. Also, I really liked the uncovered pu's. The guitar is awesome and far exceeded my expectations.

However, from your description it sounds like you might be a bit happier with the DGT. Even something like having covered pickups (or not) can play havoc on your overall sense of "greatness". Silly but sometimes we do make judgements on visual type things.

My only caveat is to mention that if you don't know this already, don't expect to be doing any dive-bombs with the trem. It's much more of a wiggle than a deep drop (think Bigsby).

Anyways, I don't think you can too wrong with either choice.

FYI - here's a link from tgp on some folks discussion this same issue: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ?t=1016025

Once you do get 'er - please post some pics. ;-)

I don't own a DGT, but I have guitars like it(22 frets, seperate volume pots). If I had only one chance to buy it would be the Cu24 for the versatility you say you value. The Wide Thin neck is also great. The Wide Fat on the DGT might be more than you like. Lastely, if you are very tight on funds, consider finding one (or both).

I don't own a DGT, but I have guitars like it(22 frets, seperate volume pots). If I had only one chance to buy it would be the Cu24 for the versatility you say you value. The Wide Thin neck is also great. The Wide Fat on the DGT might be more than you like. Lastely, if you are very tight on funds, consider finding one (or both) used.

Up until yesterday I would have steered you toward the CU24, but after owning my first DGT (standard) for about 36 hours, I can honestly say it's the most versatile guitar, PRS or other, I have ever had the joy of playing. The pickup blending with the two independent volume controls is INCREDIBLE and tone for days! Love the pickups and arguably the most intriguing coil tap tones I've experienced this side of the O.G. Customs with the 5-way rotary. So many tonal possibilities it kinda made my head swim.

First time I plugged her in, I played for three and a half hours straight. For me, that is a personal best, I just could not put her down.

Try one! You will NOT be disappointed...

thanks folks. All opinions help.

I am in Canada so returning guitars that I don't like gets complicated.

My two choices right now are a 2011 DGT built in Dec. Flame 10 tep
25th Anniv. CU24 with crazy quilt top 57/08's. Smoked burst, all gold hardware.

about same price.
Not sure what year the 25th is? 2010 maybe?

Back