Which model should I get?

• Special Semi-Hollow

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Custom 24-08

Votes: 7 36.8%

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

AlexBohlin

I'm having some issues deciding which guitar I want to go for.

I do not yet own a PRS, but I've been actively researching them nearly every day for the past 8 months or so.

I know all the models and how they work, but with that, it makes it even harder to choose. The only thing I know is that I want it to be versatile (hence why all models in the poll have some sort of coil split function) and preferably that it has a flamed maple top for the looks. Gloss finish.

Budget isn't a factor, since I'm willing to work for whatever pricetag I encounter.

But I need some insight from you guys. What would you choose and why? Is there anything you strongly advise for/against when choosing my first PRS?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you guys!

Out of those I'd probably go with the Special Semi-Hollow, since you specified versatility - you get the middle pickup for a wider variety of sounds.

Out of those I'd probably go with the Special Semi-Hollow, since you specified versatility - you get the middle pickup for a wider variety of sounds.

That's what I've been thinking for a while, too! Out of them all, it's definitely the one that can produce the most amount of tones. The narrowfield really opens up for some sweet tones with the 5-way switch.

John Mayers super eagle really inspired my love for this type of configuration.

Thing is, I've heard so much goodness about the Custom 24 model, thought the 24-08 must be just as good! Haven't heard quite as much about the special yet, but considering it's still new for 2021 after the limited run a few years ago, I guess it's gonna take a bit to hear all about it!

Do you want flexibility? Are you pulled towards a specific type of music or sound (modern vs vintage, etc)?

Flexibility is definitely a plus. I play a bit of everything. Gotten into a lot of Grateful Dead lately, but other than that, blues and R'n'B is something I always come back to.

But then there's everything from pop to rock, occasionally. Plectrum and a lot of fingerstyle, too.

Having owned all of those models, I’d go SSH. It was the most versatile of all of them. Although, I would look for a used one, or a WL model. Specifically, I am talking about the MT pickups in the original Ltd run vs. the LT pickups in the current production model. To my ears, the MTs split better. Having said that, my ME-V Exp Ltd made all of them redundant. I sold my Paul’s and SSH and 513 after I got the ME-V

If you don't need a trem, I'd take a Pauls guitar over any of those.
I was originally about to put Paul's on the poll, but was a little discouraged. Trem isn't a must-have, since I rarely use it, but at the same time I feel it's nice to have the option, especially since I've heard so much great stuff about the PRS trem!

Having owned all of those models, I’d go SSH. It was the most versatile of all of them. Although, I would look for a used one, or a WL model. Specifically, I am talking about the MT pickups in the original Ltd run vs. the LT pickups in the current production model. To my ears, the MTs split better. Having said that, my ME-V Exp Ltd made all of them redundant. I sold my Paul’s and SSH and 513 after I got the ME-V

I actually found a PRS Studio on eBay last night, although for a suspiciously low price. It was $1000 bucks, looked really nice, but felt too good to be true. I asked about the condition, and it has since been relisted at $2500. Feels like the seller didn't quite know what these retail for.

But that's interesting. I like SSH configuration, but I always thought I'd be able to use the Special Semi hollow for that as well, with the tapping function. But I suppose it wouldn't be the same as having that narrowfield in the bass position!

Flexibility is definitely a plus. I play a bit of everything. Gotten into a lot of Grateful Dead lately, but other than that, blues and R'n'B is something I always come back to.

But then there's everything from pop to rock, occasionally. Plectrum and a lot of fingerstyle, too.

I would lean more towards the Special Semi Hollow personally based on that.

I have both a 24-08 and SSH and I think they actually compliment each other quite well. If I had to choose one it would be the 24-08 as I mostly play higher gain and don’t use the middle pickup very often but it sounds like the SSH should work better for what you’re looking for.

Welcome! You have come to the correct place for advice on PRS guitars. The experts are here (not me).
But those models have tremor thingies and I don't know anything about them.
Please show us later what you chose. Good luck and fun in your quest.

Back