Help Me Choose My Next PRS!!! S2 or CE?

CE or S2?

• CE-24

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • S2 Standard 22

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

Jayden Hammer

Hey guys, this is my first post on here (I think I might have had an account when I was like 15 but I can't remember) and I wanted to reach out and ask for some help!

I've had and loved my Stripped 58 since I got it around 4 years ago. I love the singlecut body style but this time around I am looking for something different. I've been looking at two 2019-2019 CE-24's (one in gloss black and one in blood orange burst) as well as one S2 Standard 22 in the black diamond satin finish.

The S2 and the CE are pretty different and very far apart in price, but as I'm not looking for a guitar to do a specific "job" (besides live use) I've had trouble choosing between them. There's no direct comparisons between these two lines online and both seem very versatile. I am looking for a guitar to gig and tour with me, a workhorse guitar that will get dinged and played for many years. One of the main things holding me back from purchasing a CE right off the bat is that I might feel guilty for spending so much money :p But the ones I am looking at are almost $600 cheaper than list price, which is a steal. But is the S2 really such a departure in quality from the CE? I'm also really interested in trying the 85/15 pickups.. ahhh so many factors!

Does anyone own one or both of these that can help me out? I'll be happy with whatever I get, just needing some extra insight:)

The CE is a very different guitar than your SC. There's a much higher maple to mahogany ratio to it. It's going to "feel" and sound different.

The right S2 will be more like the one you currently have. (As much as a double cut can be). The S2s are also excellent instruments from what I've heard, no reports that I remember of anyone having problems.

If what you want is something different, and the cost is making you have second thoughts, maybe pick up a used one from the previous gen. Talking about the ones from the mid 00s. They are excellent instruments and come already ... broken in.

Worst case scenario you sell it for almost what you bought it for!

PS: Saw a vid of yours on YouTube, great playing!

You can’t go wrong with either. If money isn’t an issue, I would pick according to which specs you prefer, and also, if you can play them and what feels best. The CE will be brighter and snappier sounding with the maple neck, and the neck pickup will be more articulate and less bassy because it’s closer to the bridge than on a 22 fret guitar. And it is nice to have the USA pickups on the CE. The S2 will sound fatter, as it’s all mahogany, and the neck profile is slightly more petite, if you have smaller hands that’s a plus (not trying to make assumptions because you’re female, I have small hands too).

I’m more of a mahogany neck person myself, but I have to admit, maple neck guitars do a nice job of cutting through a busy live rock mix.

I’ve got three S2’s, all 22 fret DC’s, they’re very solid guitars. I’m sure the CE is too though!

Also, don’t miss the opportunity to peruse the used listings in your area, or online, there are good deals to be had.

Re-read your post, given what you want, I'd probably go with the CE, as long as you think you can live with the 24 fret wide thin neck, thinner body (than your SC) and floating trem.

It's great to have a second PRS that has a different vibe, but the sound is probably going to be close enough live that you can feel good about taking it instead of the SC and exposing it to the risks of gigging.

I have a newer CE 24, the 85/15s are really good pickups.

You can’t go wrong with either. If money isn’t an issue, I would pick according to which specs you prefer, and also, if you can play them and what feels best. The CE will be brighter and snappier sounding with the maple neck, and the neck pickup will be more articulate and less bassy because it’s closer to the bridge than on a 22 fret guitar. And it is nice to have the USA pickups on the CE. The S2 will sound fatter, as it’s all mahogany, and the neck profile is slightly more petite, if you have smaller hands that’s a plus (not trying to make assumptions because you’re female, I have small hands too).

I’m more of a mahogany neck person myself, but I have to admit, maple neck guitars do a nice job of cutting through a busy live rock mix.

I’ve got three S2’s, all 22 fret DC’s, they’re very solid guitars. I’m sure the CE is too though!

Also, don’t miss the opportunity to peruse the used listings in your area, or online, there are good deals to be had.

Honestly I have pretty big hands, so the neck on my stripped 58 is nice. I definitely prefer it over my Charvel DS1 that has a tiny neck, but that's not to say I dislike the small neck either. I wish guitar stores were open right now so I could really figure out which neck profile works best for me :( I think that, and the price tag may be the only two reasons I haven't gone and pulled the trigger on a CE already. The ones I'm looking at are both "used" (they seem to be pretty much mint) for $1400, which is a steal compared to the normal price. I keep thinking I've made a decision and then something changes my mind again :p

Re-read your post, given what you want, I'd probably go with the CE, as long as you think you can live with the 24 fret wide thin neck, thinner body (than your SC) and floating trem.

It's great to have a second PRS that has a different vibe, but the sound is probably going to be close enough live that you can feel good about taking it instead of the SC and exposing it to the risks of gigging.

I have a newer CE 24, the 85/15s are really good pickups.
Thank you for the advice!! I keep going back and forth. What I've heard of the 85/15's sound amazing, but the "S" versions in the S2's don't sound too shabby either. You did have a point though, worst case I don't bond with the CE and just sell it for the S2.

I guess I should add the prices of each: The CE24's I'm looking at are both mint condition for ~1400 usd (about $600 less than new price) and the S2 I'm looking at comes out to ~900 (about $100 less than new)

I guess I should add the prices of each: The CE24's I'm looking at are both mint condition for ~1400 usd (about $600 less than new price) and the S2 I'm looking at comes out to ~900 (about $100 less than new)
I got my S2 for less than 600. So, I mod'ed the heck out of it.

Honestly I have pretty big hands, so the neck on my stripped 58 is nice. I definitely prefer it over my Charvel DS1 that has a tiny neck, but that's not to say I dislike the small neck either. I wish guitar stores were open right now so I could really figure out which neck profile works best for me :( I think that, and the price tag may be the only two reasons I haven't gone and pulled the trigger on a CE already. The ones I'm looking at are both "used" (they seem to be pretty much mint) for $1400, which is a steal compared to the normal price. I keep thinking I've made a decision and then something changes my mind again :p

The profile on the CE will be about the same width as your SC, but thinner front to back - I won’t say it feels flat on the back at all, but not as deep and round as a W/F profile like on your 58. The S2 profile is kind of like 50/50 between the two shapes, but then shrink the whole thing 10-15%.

I’ve not found a PRS neck that was uncomfortable, they all fit within the zone of acceptable for me, but they do feel slightly different.

How about considering an SC245 as well?

Not 100% on the specs, but the scale is the same as your stripped.

There are a few for sale your side of the sea. Not sure how they compare cost-wise to the CE.

Some thoughts...

Compared to your Singlecut, the CE is going to feel very long and skinny. The length and neck shape of the S2 will likely feel a little more familiar.

Build quality of each will be on par, but the CE has the edge with the USA 85/15 pickups and electronics. It's a great pickup set and the split tones are fantastic. The "S" version is pretty good, but I feel they lack the clarity of the American ones. But with the money you'll save buying the S2 you can buy your favorite set of pickups and rewire it and still pocket some cash.

I think the CE will be a good bit brighter tone-wise than the Singlecut as well. If you like to solo on the upper frets, the CE will have great access.

The satin finish on the S2 guitars feels great. It's thin so lets the guitar resonate really well. It will definitely accumulate road wear a lot faster than the gloss finished models.

All that said, it seems to me the CE is where your heart is.

.....The CE will be brighter and snappier sounding with the maple neck, and the neck pickup will be more articulate and less bassy because it’s closer to the bridge than on a 22 fret guitar.....

This. Your current set neck and fixed bridge -vs- the bolt-on neck with trem. A great pairing, IMO and IME.

Years ago, I would bring my original '90 CE (alder body, maple cap, HFS+VB set-up) into stores to compare with the other beautiful PRSes hanging there. (Of course, I wanted another one, too!) Well, I could never quite find one that I liked as much, even thinking (gasp!) that a few almost sounded *comparatively* somewhat dead. *IMO.* At one point, my local dealer (and a trusted friend) had been listening to me comment as I played... and it was then that he grinned and offered that, since PRS was originally designed to be somewhat of a 'medium' between Gibson and Fender, then my consistent tonal preference might just be because I "...tend to favor the Fender half of the equation" to be found across the line.

HUH. Well, I couldn't disagree, and that observation really sunk in. In fact, the day way back in 1990 that I bought my CE, I had very carefully picked it out from twelve other new PRSes just in—my eyes shut tight for 30+ minutes as my wife and my buddy would swap them out for me—until I decided which PRS was the best one *for me*, especially tonally; and I remember being especially drawn to the overall brighter and twangier tone. (I was also gratified that day to find it was one of the least expensive at the time!)

So, I guess I'm saying that if you already have the comparative thicker Gibson-ish' tone and playing vibe of the Stripped '58 (which I also own—great guitar!), then IMHO and IME, the CE would be a great "Fender-ish' balance to your current available sounds, and that between having only the two guitars on stage. (BTW, I still own both my CE and the Stripped '58, and my comparison stands.)

Hope this helps. :)

I was the only S2 vote simply because I like 22 fret guitars, a CE 22 used is my next guitar BUT I have 3 S2s including one like the Satin In the video posted...

Back