Help make up my mind !

Lawtoncfh

Hi all, I’m new to the forum and have never owned a PRS, but I am ready to buy one now. I’ve always played Gibson Les Paul’s (just got rid of my 2016 Traditional). I’ve narrowed it down to either the USA CU22 or a McCarty 594 (leaning more towards 594). I’d like your opinions of which one is best for heavy rock, has better clean tones, and can handle drop tuning (eflat, d standard) best. Do the McCarty 594’s sound good through Marshall’s and play rock/ Metal well? Thanks!

Last edited:
You can`t go wrong either way. The 594 is more similar to an LP. You may wat to consider a tremonti for the drop turnings and hard rock/metal. That`s where they live.

You can`t go wrong either way. The 594 is more similar to an LP. You may wat to consider a tremonti for the drop turnings and hard rock/metal. That`s where they live.

Thanks for the response! Much appreciated! Do you own either of the guitars I mentioned above?

^^ nailed it...Both are the top of my list I have an SE CU24 and I love it. I am jus beginning to play so it's a great fit for me at this level. When I eventually upgrade to the USA PRSi the 594 is most likely gonna be my choice. You can go wrong a with either IMHO. Good luck!

Are you looking to replace the LP or try something new?

My McCarty 594 is my favorite guitar. Although I play Boogies, I'm sure it will sound great through a Marshall. If you play a lot in dropped tunings, however, the slightly longer scale length of the CU24 might provide better string tension.

You can't go wrong either way.

For hard rock and metal, I would go for the CU24. For classic rock I would go 594. I've owned both.

Either is going to rock for what was described through a Marshall. The 594 will feel more similar to the LP with its shorter scale, but it also comes stock with low output pickups that have a vintage style PAF growl. The CU24 is a high performance machine with a more modern sound. The neck pickup tone is a bit tighter due to it being closer to the bridge.

For hard rock and metal, I would go for the CU24. For classic rock I would go 594. I've owned both.

Either is going to rock for what was described through a Marshall. The 594 will feel more similar to the LP with its shorter scale, but it also comes stock with low output pickups that have a vintage style PAF growl. The CU24 is a high performance machine with a more modern sound. The neck pickup tone is a bit tighter due to it being closer to the bridge.

Thanks ! I meant to originally say Custom 22, not the 24. I play through a Marshall JVM half stack. I figured the CU22 would be good but I really want a 594. Just concerned over the low output pickups in the 594. If they sound close to 57 classic pickups in a Les Paul then I’ll probably be happy

I have both CU24 and 594s. I play them through a PRS HXDA (a Plexi style amp), a PRS DG30 (kinda Vintage Tweed), and a Mesa Lone Star 100.

The guitars certainly work well with all the amps.

Obviously I know nothing about what you like, and it’s none of my business why you sold your Lester, but...that may be a clue about which of the two PRSes you’re looking at might work better for you.

Essentially the CU24 is a more “contemporary” guitar in terms of tone and pickup hotness, though PRS’ Tremonti is made for heavier styles, as someone pointed out, and PRS has made some others for metal players. Also, the CU24 Floyd is a separate model that might appeal more to a metal player.

The 594 is a very vintage sounding guitar, with PAF style lower output pickups. It leans in the LP direction, which is why I asked why you sold your LP.

Of course, none of these descriptions really matter, because you can make any style of music with all of them, I.e., if you play rock/metal well, they will all work well for rock/metal but each will sound a bit different, of course. Also I can’t imagine anything more subjective than what constitutes a great clean tone. Everyone’s different in how they define that.

So here’s the best advice I can give: Even if you have to get in your car and take a day trip, it makes the most sense to play a few models before dropping the coin on one. Advice from a bunch of internet strangers, who know nothing about your tastes and abilities, is going to be worth exactly zero.

Even if you have to get in your car and take a day trip, it makes the most sense to play a few models before dropping the coin on one.

Very much so!

For @Lawtoncfh I'd add that if you haven't had one in your hands yet, make sure you're a fan of the 594's neck profile before doing anything else. If you find you dislike Pattern Vintage, that'll narrow it down quickly (or perhaps vice-versa with CU22). Some players aren't into the asymmetrical carve. For me, it's my favorite neck to date.

You should be just fine in standard Eb or D tunings with little fuss.

The LTs sound excellent when clean, very articulate, and the coil taps offer more variety than I anticipated. The pickups are not designed primarily for high-gain shred however, so your initial results will largely be determined by your amp and operating conditions. There are always remedies should you still find yourself wanting more oomph out of the bridge position.

The 594 sounds pretty metal in this clip -

Try and play both if you can. The CU 22 has the option of a trem and that changes the sound somewhat. It will also be lighter and have different controls.

However, there is only one correct answer for your dilemma...you absolutely NEED both.

Thanks ! I meant to originally say Custom 22, not the 24. I play through a Marshall JVM half stack. I figured the CU22 would be good but I really want a 594. Just concerned over the low output pickups in the 594. If they sound close to 57 classic pickups in a Les Paul then I’ll probably be happy

Ah! Well my original recommendation still holds. My CU22 is proving to be the better all rounder, while the 594 is classic blues rock heaven for me.

The 85/15 pups in my CU22 are brighter and clearer and give a bit more push. But I think that as an LP lover (reformed) you'll appreciate the growl of the LT pups and the 4 knob layout on the 594.

I like the LT pups for anything, but if they don't please you, a pickup swap is easy. From what I know of the 57 Classic, the LT will be a little bit cleaner sounding. Less punch in the bridge compared to a 57 Classic Plus.

Ah! Well my original recommendation still holds. My CU22 is proving to be the better all rounder, while the 594 is classic blues rock heaven for me.

The 85/15 pups in my CU22 are brighter and clearer and give a bit more push. But I think that as an LP lover (reformed) you'll appreciate the growl of the LT pups and the 4 knob layout on the 594.

I like the LT pups for anything, but if they don't please you, a pickup swap is easy. From what I know of the 57 Classic, the LT will be a little bit cleaner sounding. Less punch in the bridge compared to a 57 Classic Plus.
Thanks so much for all of your insight! Yeah, I like the Les Paul tone and crunch but want the better PRS quality and playability so I think I'm going to give the 594 a shot 1st.

Thanks so much for all of your insight! Yeah, I like the Les Paul tone and crunch but want the better PRS quality and playability so I think I'm going to give the 594 a shot 1st.

Right on man. I think deep down you knew that before you started the thread. ;)

Now for the real decision: single or double cutaway?

@Lawtoncfh, another thing you should consider (and you name two different constructed guitars (especially bridge and scale)), whether with vibrato-/tremolosystem or not.
594 comes along with a LP-style bridge, which makes it relatively easy to handle down tunings without adjusting a floating vibrato-/tremolosystem.
Soundwise - by the layout of potis - a 594 allows more nuances in the voicing of your guitar sound.
On the other hand, if you require a vibrato-/tremolosystem, you should head for a CU22.

(But if you are keen on a very versatile guitar, my recommendation is something completely different ;))

Back