HELP! Looking for some effects pedals

Texas_minor_blues

Rosewood or Bust
So currently I am running T.C. Electronics stuff (Hall of Fame Reverb and 4xFlash Delay) while I love what they do I am wanting to try something else. I want to keep using them but I want some variety

Looking for Delay/Echo, Reverb, Chorus, and possibly tremolo

For reference looking for things along the line of David Grissom, Sonny Landreth, Albert Lee, and early Eric Johnson (I don't want nor can I afford an echoplex...)

The Wampler Faux Tape Echo is pretty cool. This is sweet for Vibe/Trem stuff. They're in Europe, but I had it about 10 days after I ordered it.

I always used to like the mxr carbon copies for delay

If you like analog tremolo effects but want something that goes a bit beyond and makes crazy noises, look into the Moog ring modulator pedal unit. Worth the asking price if you ask me. Very interesting piece of gear. Depending on how you set the frequencies and the LFO etc you can get very deep, modulated trem effects.

Might I recommend upgrading within the TC Electronics line? I have both the Nova System and the G System and they are both excellent digital systems with an analog front end (which is the only way to do dirt, IMHO, as of yet, digital technology doesn't emulate dirt so much as mimes it). Alternatively, they may have a multi-FX unit without the analog portion, which I'm sure are quite flexible as well. (I have zero experience with these with guitar, although I do have one of the VoiceLive boxes for vocals which I have sitting in the corner collecting dust...so let's just say I have zero experience with it...)
link
Alternatively, Eventide has the lust-worthy H9 and H9 Max, which should render all other modulation pedals moot.

While I'm sure there are better units out there, these are the ones I personally like the best:

Delay/Echo: MXR Carbon Copy (analog delay); t.c. electronics Flashback X4 (digital delay - a word of caution on this one. It's quite pricey and mine only lasted a year before it stopped working completely.)
Reverb: n/a [never had a reverb pedal, i use the Roadster's reverb if I need any]
Chorus: Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Tremolo: Boss TR-2 Tremolo

And just for $hits and giggles, here are a few more I would recommend highly:
Flanger: MXR Micro Flanger
Phaser: n/a [used to have a Phase 90 but the newer ones sound like poop, never really used it much anyway]
Overdrive: Ibanez TubeScreamer Mini
Noise Gate: ISP Decimator
Tuner: Korg PitchBlack

I'm an MXR fan, personally.

Owning only 5 pedals...four are MXR boxes, which I would swear are actually bulletproof. (My 5th is a Polytune 2).

I'm running a Super Badass, Chorus, Carbon Copy Bright, and Reverb into my Sonzera 20W, and they all sound great.

Now just need a nice chorus pedal :)
Yeah, I'm still trying to decide on a chorus myself. I'm leaning towards the Roland JC-120. :p
But that's (a lot) more than 6 clams. Or the Moogerfooger. Or the EQD. Or the Strymon. Or the Seppuku Mind Warp (yeah, I would want it mostly for psychedelic tones, not subtle thickening). Or the ProTone Yvette Young signature chorus (if it was stereo, it'd be perfect).

...or...or...or...(head explodes)

You can see why I don't have one yet.

Last edited:
A Strymon Mobius will cover all of your modulation needs. Then all you need is a reverb and a delay.

Back