Help Identifying Used PRS... Again

munrodeo

Good Morning All!

I am in the market for my first PRS and have been keeping an eye on the used market for a CE24 or Custom 24. I first played my guitar instructor's PRS about 15 years ago and I figured it was finally time I picked one up.

Not knowing a ton about model variations year to year, could anyone help me identify the model based on the attached pictures? I am hesitant to put all my faith into the text on the truss rod cover.

It is priced around $1050 USD which honestly seems low for a Custom 24.

I have asked the seller for some more information, but any help and insight you can offer is greatly appreciated!

lcbyPdm.jpg

aVQNr2q.jpg

41WLVk5.jpg

EgGbxE6.jpg

That, my friend, is an S2 Custom 24. Excellent bang for the buck. I have one that gets gigged regularly. They have immaculate American construction with a scarf jointed neck and less costly body carve. The electronics will be from overseas. The trem and tuners are as well. Take a picture of the back of the headstock, so we can tell what year it is and what pickups it has.

The reason for the lower than normal price is that this is an S2 version of the Cu24. You may be looking for the Core version. The S2 is a made in Maryland guitar but has some Korean made components in it. It's an attempt at a lower priced USA guitar. They are really good instruments and can get you into the PRS market without a ton of money. However, if you have been looking for 15 years and are expecting a core instrument, you can find one for only a few hundred more in the used market.

Good luck.

Ok, awesome. Thanks for clarifying. I was aware of the SE series, guess I overlooked the S2!

I will continue searching for a previously loved 1988-2008 CE24 or core series Custom 24. Or Maybe a McCarty...

I have a feeling this could be a slippery slope!

Ok, awesome. Thanks for clarifying. I was aware of the SE series, guess I overlooked the S2!

I will continue searching for a previously loved 1988-2008 CE24 or core series Custom 24. Or Maybe a McCarty...

Very slippery! Hang on tight. The ride is a blast.

Yes, the slope is slippery.
But lots of fun.
Toronto is a pretty big market, so good odds you can find something local and not have to care about the current exchange rate.

Yes, the Canadian peso certainly makes shopping accords the border not as attractive right now. I am looking forward to the journey. Thanks again everyone!

OP In my opinion that's a little pricey for a used S2, I have 3 S2s and love them but I got 2 of them new for cheaper and the used one I grabbed was from Daves and it was just under 800 dollars….Keep looking and look at Davesguitar.com or the Guitar Center used section there are steals on there as well, good luck and let us know what you grab! BTW I saw a used CE 24 for 1100 on the GC site tonite so keep an eye out and get what you want its out there!

Good Morning Everyone! Been keeping an eye on Reverb and a 2003 Custom 22 has popped up that I’d love an opinion on. It is listed for $1285 USD. I am hoping it is a clean example of a core model.

Would appreciate any thoughts on how this guitar compares to a McCarty, as they are both 22 fret stoptails (I understand body thickness and pickups will be different).

JHSg4ri.jpg

9eQNa6V.jpg

4Bkbwu2.jpg
YGChdqj.jpg

4QbKu0v.jpg

Last edited:
Don't see anything wrong with that!
Differences are the body thickness, the pickups (higher output on the Cu22), neck shape is wide thin on the Cu22 vs wide fat, locking tuners on the Cu22 vs vintage style tuners and control layout is 5 way rotary on the Cu22 vs the 3-way toggle on the McCarty.

Don't see anything wrong with that!
Differences are the body thickness, the pickups (higher output on the Cu22), neck shape is wide thin on the Cu22 vs wide fat, locking tuners on the Cu22 vs vintage style tuners and control layout is 5 way rotary on the Cu22 vs the 3-way toggle on the McCarty.

Ok, awesome. Thanks for clarifying the neck carve, switching and tuner differences!

That price is fair and maybe even a couple hundred less than typical for the model. If it pushes all your buttons, go for it. However, if what you have your heart set on is a McCarty, wait for a McCarty. The differences will be just enough to keep you guessing on what you should have done. If you are just in the market for a great PRS, that one fits.

That price is fair and maybe even a couple hundred less than typical for the model. If it pushes all your buttons, go for it. However, if what you have your heart set on is a McCarty, wait for a McCarty. The differences will be just enough to keep you guessing on what you should have done. If you are just in the market for a great PRS, that one fits.

Thanks for your insight! I am looking for something to compliment my 335, and having experience with Gibson, I know the McCarty 594 is in the same vein as a Les Paul. The specs I am certain on are 22-frets with a stoptail. Everything else is negotiable based on price.

Thanks for your insight! I am looking for something to compliment my 335, and having experience with Gibson, I know the McCarty 594 is in the same vein as a Les Paul. The specs I am certain on are 22-frets with a stoptail. Everything else is negotiable based on price.
Then the one you are looking at is a good one. Two things to know about it:
1. Some love the rotary selector some hate it. I like it but I'm guessing I'm in the minority since PRS stopped using it. If you end up lot liking it, it's not hard to switch to a 3 way and a push pull for the splits.
2. The pickups are an acquired taste. Again, some love them some, not so much. I haven't played them but they say they are a more modern sound. Again, you can change them out if you don't love them.

Then the one you are looking at is a good one. Two things to know about it:
1. Some love the rotary selector some hate it. I like it but I'm guessing I'm in the minority since PRS stopped using it. If you end up lot liking it, it's not hard to switch to a 3 way and a push pull for the splits.
2. The pickups are an acquired taste. Again, some love them some, not so much. I haven't played them but they say they are a more modern sound. Again, you can change them out if you don't love them.

So I made a deal and purchased the guitar, it should deliver this week or next. I will definitely stick with the rotary switching and pickups for a few months before I decide to change anything.

Back