Help Identifying a GC Mystery guitar

jcolmn

Hello

I saw this guitar on the GC used website priced attractively. It was listed as a 2009 Custom 22 Honey Burst.

It looked special to my eye and I had the notion that they did not identify this correctly. Since it was after hours I pulled the trigger. I planned to call in the am to get some in hand pictures, but got the shipping notice before they opened. I called anyways and the person there knew nothing about the guitar or what a tune o matic bridge is. I thanked him and started googling. Anyhow, the long waiting period has started and I wonder what I'll get.

Here are some grainy pics to start the ID

PRS TOM by jcolmn, on Flickr

PRS TOM 2 by jcolmn, on Flickr

I see:
TOM bridge
22 frets
Nice birds
Curly Maple
Zebra Pickups (hopefully stock)
McCarty tuners

Is that a PRS hand signed headstock?
With some special writing between the E string tuners?

The waiting is the hardest part.

I'm guessing McCarty. My son works at a GC, and they misidentified a MCRosie. Somebody pulled the trigger before I could raise the money. They stole it. Looks like you scored big time.

I agree, it's some variant of a McCarty. The Cu22 didn't use the Kluson tuners. I suspect it's a limited edition of some kind. Nice find!

Even if it is a Cu22, I think you still scored. That's a beautiful top and colour.

great find, let us know how she sounds with zebra buckers when she settles in.
oh and don't forget to post many closeup pictures.:)

Don't know the price you paid, but it looks like it is a custom order McCarty... I don't remember a limited run of 22 fret guitars with a tune o matic type bridge. Do you have the serial Nr. to identify the year? I doubt it is a 2009, it would look more normal to me if it was a 1999 one. But on the other hand if it was a custom order, or artist guitar, they could have used the old style birds anyway...
I would also be interested to know the body thickness used. This would tell us if it is McCarty based or Cu22 based, or something else...
Also do not forget to pull out the pickups. There could be some writing that could clarify things a bit more.

Don't know the price you paid, but it looks like it is a custom order McCarty... I don't remember a limited run of 22 fret guitars with a tune o matic type bridge. Do you have the serial Nr. to identify the year? I doubt it is a 2009, it would look more normal to me if it was a 1999 one. But on the other hand if it was a custom order, or artist guitar, they could have used the old style birds anyway...
I would also be interested to know the body thickness used. This would tell us if it is McCarty based or Cu22 based, or something else...
Also do not forget to pull out the pickups. There could be some writing that could clarify things a bit more.

My thoughts exactly.

Stunning photography by GC, as usual. That top looks incredible though, which points to a special edition of some sort. The way the inlays reflect make me think they're MOP. I don't remember seeing a TOM bridge with the Kluson style tuners before, either.

I believe they used TOM bridges on a limited number of Custom 22/24's and McCarty's back in the 90's - it's a rare bird, and a great score!!!

Is it me or does that look like a potential 10 top?
The flame is continuous to the edge and doesn't fade.

The top is hot! Looking forward to learning more details about this unicorn. Never seen anything like it since the Sig and LE runs of the early 90s.

Back