HELP! Honeymoon seems to be over...

I used Formby's lemon oil for decades. Still have half a bottle left in the back on a shelf somewhere.
Yes, commercial "lemon oils" are really just mineral oil with lemon scent but they work well enough and they don't build up.

When buying linseed oil for fretboards always be sure to get boiled linseed oil, not raw.
Raw linseed oil dries very slowly, tends to feel sticky, and over time it can polymerize into a varnish.
Boiled linseed oil contains penetrating & drying agents to prevent such problems.

I only treat my rosewood fretboards at two year intervals unless one really looks dry - which is rare.
Every three years for ebony (which has tight grain) and Brazilian rosewood (which is naturally waxy).
More often than that is unnecessary.

Oiling is really more a cosmetic thing than actual conditioning.

More importantly, I don't let my guitars become dessicated.
Actual dryness is a serious issue that's completely separate from lack of sheen.

I used Formby's lemon oil for decades. Still have half a bottle left in the back on a shelf somewhere.
Yes, commercial "lemon oils" are really just mineral oil with lemon scent but they work well enough and they don't build up.

I like Formbys products. I sell several varieties at my hardware store. Also, you are right, boiled linseed oil is ideal. Raw stuff is way too sticky.

Oiling is really more a cosmetic thing than actual conditioning

I mildly disagree, at least in the context of using linseed oil. Lemon oil stuff to me is for sure more about cleaning and making the board look nice. Boiled linseed oil does more for external moisture resistance. I've probably been using linseed oil for a decade now, and no probs. If one goops it on though...thats a sticky situation. Ebony fretboards I treat a bit differently. The grain is so tight, they dont need much maintenance.

i guess now i should start my posts like this: "Dear diary" :

-i had enough and removed the PU covers. Boy! i was missing some highs and this was a true surprise. It did some subtle but noticeable change in tone (for good). Also raised the polepiece screws.
-Also tried to flip the magnet in case i was missing somehting. NADA, was flipped back.
-Lubed bridge and nut with Tune-it while i removed the strings. Tunning improved marginaly.
-Hidrated the fretboard with lemon oil, this girl (cough,milf) needed it!

I may be changing my mind on Dragons now...will replace the switch and will see.

Over and out ;)

fkXPZ9y.jpg

aaWTV3H.jpg

04Zdjp3.jpg

8Wv4Qln.jpg

Would that not specifically be a McMilf?!;)

For the future, I suggest linseed oil. This is gonna be a matter of contention among players, but for me its the only thing I use for fretboards. The reason is...the stuff that we commonly buy called lemon oil really isnt. Its more like mineral oil with a small amount of lemon oil in it. Pure lemon oil is very acidic, and I advise never to use that. Mineral oil doesnt coagulate very much when it dries, however linseed oil will. Thats a good thing because it will stay in the open pores in the woodgrain and thus do a better job at blocking moisture from getting in. If you ever use it, use a very small amount, and only twice a year at most. Linseed snot can be a good friend, but too much and it can be an enemy leading to grubby fingerboards.

Other than that, looking good!

Yeah there is only one true and proper way to clean that fretboard ;)

I use a fretboard conditioner and rejuvenator from an English Guitar company that rhymes with Crimson. They are great products and I probably ha e enough to last me until they decide who gets my guitars!

I use a fretboard conditioner and rejuvenator from an English Guitar company that rhymes with Crimson. They are great products and I probably ha e enough to last me until they decide who gets my guitars!
I like a dry guitar tone, this one it's a little too wet for my tastes.

Or...

Isn't this how PRS does it? I've seen the spray clean booths at the factory where they come out all shiny after the spray clean.

:D

C'mon, you've been around long enough to know there is only one correct way to clean a PRS :p

Not going to have worry about the fretboard drying out. :p

Hahahaha had a pretty good laugh on your comments guys. One last blasphemy question… oh before that: yesterday I had a jam with my friend that has the rehearsal space, and I’m falling in love with the sound again.
ok, now the blasphemy: I want to try different tuners. I have sperzel and Gotoh on mind. Schallers are too heavy hence are discarded. Any word you can give me on that? I like-prefer- Sperzels for weight and operation, not sure on the measures of the guitar tho.

Hahahaha had a pretty good laugh on your comments guys. One last blasphemy question… oh before that: yesterday I had a jam with my friend that has the rehearsal space, and I’m falling in love with the sound again.
ok, now the blasphemy: I want to try different tuners. I have sperzel and Gotoh on mind. Schallers are too heavy hence are discarded. Any word you can give me on that? I like-prefer- Sperzels for weight and operation, not sure on the measures of the guitar tho.
I use pretty much only Gotoh Mag Locks. I'm just a lazy b@$tard who doesnt want to mess with post wrapping anymore.

necrobump!
Spare parts finally arrived. Will change the rotary this evening, Nut will be changed on next string change. I've noticed the newer ones has nothing to do with the one installed (which seems to be just plastic,didn't noticed before :confused:) hence maybe why this girl doesn't hold tune well. Previous owner made a few changes i'm not happy with right now :mad:. Hope this will help to keep Cecile improve and make me love her more and more.
fxMRroW

necrobump!
Spare parts finally arrived. Will change the rotary this evening, Nut will be changed on next string change. I've noticed the newer ones has nothing to do with the one installed (which seems to be just plastic,didn't noticed before :confused:) hence maybe why this girl doesn't hold tune well. Previous owner made a few changes i'm not happy with right now :mad:. Hope this will help to keep Cecile improve and make me love her more and more.
fxMRroW
Im sure they will. The nut change should help quite a bit. Let us know how it all turns out!

A bit of a news flash:
-new rotary installed, so a new tone emerged. The results are that I could hear like a more “full output” on all positions and noise in the in between positions is now cancelled. The downside? Dragon 1 bridge pup must fly. This is the new blasphemy:
n3GbUhr

Cheers and have a great weekend

Last edited:
Back