Help! Guitar hanger failure!

RedGuitars

Thread killer
I have used String Swing hangers for years with no issues - stud or no stud. Never had one fail as long as it was properly anchored.

I moved about a year ago and replaced the String Swings with Hercules. Not blaming the hanger, but one pulled itself out of the wall - dropping my McNaught to the ground.

Luckily, it looks like the only damage is two minor blemished on the rosewood neck - and the tremolo bar.

It appears the tremolo took the brunt of the fall. I'm thrilled since that is the one piece most easily replaced! The trem is bent into an L shape and the plastic tip is busted all to hell. But the guitar is in fine shape considering what it went through. It went between pictures hanging on the wall (knocked one down) and my Kemper, which sits on an MBritt cab, which sits on a short TV stand table. Could have been much worse.

So - Hey Jamie! (or others) - what is that bar you had/have that can be anchored into studs and then hangers slide into it? That's the route I want to go.

Thanks!

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

Last edited:
That sucks.
I don't know the answer to the question you asked, but for what it is worth...
When I put up a hanger (or my wall cases) I used screws that come with a metal plug. Before hanging, you drill a hole big enough to insert the plug, screw the screw, which pulls the metal plug into a big T behind the wall. Then remove the screw and use it to hang. It won't ever come out. You would have to dig it out and then patch the wall. I tested each hanger by putting a dumbbell in it over night.

That sucks.
I don't know the answer to the question you asked, but for what it is worth...
When I put up a hanger (or my wall cases) I used screws that come with a metal plug. Before hanging, you drill a hole big enough to insert the plug, screw the screw, which pulls the metal plug into a big T behind the wall. Then remove the screw and use it to hang. It won't ever come out. You would have to dig it out and then patch the wall. I tested each hanger by putting a dumbbell in it over night.

I can vouch for these. I probably have a dozen of the hinged/spreadable pieces laying between walls around the house when I took them out!

I did have a String Swing fail, once. I noticed it happening before the guitar took the fall. Actually pulling out of the wall. When I repainted the guitar room, patched all previous holes and went right to studs. In the basement, I'm using what Peter mentions above. Toggle bolts.....

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Grou...8&qid=1488485468&sr=8-2&keywords=toggle+bolts

Sorry about the axe...wow, you got lucky. Studs for life ...of course, I look for studs when hanging 2 lb. pictures...but slat board and hangers are fun, cuz you can rearrange, as the collection grows. (Slat board into, you guessed it...studs.)

You're all studs, as far as I'm concerned, boys.

Lesteban insists that I keep his guitars cased when not in use. He claims it's the safest thing to do.
I case mine up too. Trying to protect it from damage, but also to minimize fading.

Inspect all hangers monthly. Accidents can happen, regardless of hardware used. Mine are living room decoration and Mrs. B gets upset when there's a vacancy for too long (or if it's the wrong color scheme).

Hangers into wallboard (with suitable "anchors") for lighter guitars is OK, I have a few for the ones that hang a foot up off the floor, but I really do prefer direct into studs.

The problem will wallboard (drywall, plasterboard, whatever you might call it locally) it that it can have very minor internal structural variations that make no difference as a wall per se, but reduce the ability to hang a load onto it.

Hmm, maybe a weekend project for me to re-inforce those non-stud mounted String Swing hangers...

Dunno which weekend - too dang busy the next ten weekends in a row!

I case mine up too. Trying to protect it from damage, but also to minimize fading.

I find it helps the guitars' setups stay good for longer periods. And then there's not having scratchy pots from the goo that the combination of dust and airborne substances, like cooking evaporates, put into the air In every household...

Guitar stands offer their own "please knock it over and break my guitar's headstock off" experience (yeah, I've done that).

For the past couple of years, I've thrown a D'Addario Humidipak into the case, even with the electrics. It keeps the inside of the case at 45% relative humidity year-round (just like the PRS Factory); again, to minimize the effect of seasonal humidity changes. The case also buffers the daily temperature changes that occur in every room over a 24 hour period, and those are the kinds of things that affect the setup.

Never had a guitar damaged when cased. Better odds, I think.

I'm probably overly careful, but damn, it's really nice to pull a guitar out of the case and have it feel great!

However, I've seen some nice wall display cases that do the protecting the guitar job, and that for me would probably be a decent option.

Last edited:
Never been brave enough to hang my guitars. Although I think it looks cool, and would certainly be impressive to walk into my guitar room and have them all hanging, I just cant do it. Among other things, our house gets a bit dusty and I'd be dusting them all the time. :rolleyes:

I need to see my babies :) best art ever

I set up gear for a living and have no interest in opening cases to play , I know they are safer in the cases ( tho some of the worst damage came from a case closing on a guitar as I took it out ;( )

I do check that the hangers are firm to the wall from time to time :) and knock on wood I have never had any issues.

Mine haven't gotten dusty yet, because I'm much more inclined to play them when they're in plain view. I know, they won't get dusty in their cases either, but then I'm less likely to play and enjoy them. And if they don't get played, they get sold!

I agree, they make great wall art!

I have not tightened up any or my Hercules mounts, and some of them have been on the wall of tone since 2012.
But I also drilled into the studs using a Les, er I mean a stud finder.
Used the long screws that came with the mounts, and they are in there tight.

Sorry to hear one of yours pulled out.

1.jpg

I've had one pull out but it wasn't stud mounted (used the plastic molys). Fortunately a guitar wasn't hanging on it at the time!! I've used them for years without issue though!

Which reminds me, since that spot is no longer used, I need to patch and paint the spot.

I've had one pull out but it wasn't stud mounted (used the plastic molys).
You weren't using the mollies in drywall, right? Our handyman strongly advises against. I believe others mentioned toggle bolts for that.

I had the handyman run some wood kinda like moulding around, anchored to the studs. Then I can put the Hercules wherever.

I've been using these for years, with my Off-the-Wall hangers, still rock solid...

bddc0748-d420-4564-80ae-a611f97d5b48_1000.jpg

Back