Help getting through this slump

mezzio

The Force is weak in ^^
About a week and a half ago I had oral surgery. Figured I'd go through it, and have some down time to just play (not like I don't have enough down time as is), but things haven't gone as planned.

The first few days after the surgery were rough, I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia which put me down and out, I got through it though... But now there seems to be another side effect...

I've lost all motivation to even pick up a guitar! I don't know if it's the drugs, the pain, or what, but it's starting to kind of annoy me. I know I want to play, but the thought of it just kinda makes me go "bleh, why bother".

Any ideas on what to do to get over it?! It's been almost 2 weeks of no playing :(:mad:

Buy something new!

Seriously, sorry to hear you're in a funk. Sometimes just powering through is the way.

Force yourself. Not a lot, just 15 minutes a day of scales or arpeggios or chord progressions (mix it up) so you don't lose your touch. Everyone goes through slumps once in a while, just let time pass.

It's hard to do optional things when you're not feeling well.

Just rest up and play when you feel motivated.

From my experience this is the best approach, yes, you can push through things like that sometimes but stepping back from it has a metamorphic affect that should be experienced also.
If you hang out with us on this website there's not a lot of chance you're gonna just walk away from playing so don't stress, take a little time find the motivation and inspiration for the next step in your musical journey.
Like Bodia said "buy something new", go back and listen to some music that got you interested in playing in the first place, plan and compose your next musical masterpiece, there's a lot you can do to get the mojo back.

One last thought, anesthesia, like any other pharmaceutical is a concoction of chemicals that is foreign to your body, you might think about that and maybe look into some internal cleansing. Check out some food, vitamins and drink that may help your body snap back better, I don't have any inside info on this subject but I'm sure it's out there and it may help.

Damn, sorry you're still feeling like crap! You could always just give me all your PRSi, then you'll feel so bad about doing such a dumb thing, you'll be dying to play! :D

What did they tell you the recovery time was? I'd wait til you're off the meds at least before you start worrying too much. Some of that stuff makes one very unmotivated for anything, which sounds like the case for you.

I unfortunately had a death in the family and before that the band I was playing in inhad to quit because of , well honestly i just couldn't Stand being around them anymore . So between being down about all this I haven't had any motivation to play . Until I bought the tremonti se and I have picked up the guitar more than I have since January . I just kind of sat back and listened to more music and got inspired to want to play . Trust me it hasn't been much at a time but a hell of a lot more than nothing . It might time but you'll get back to playing.

Sorry to hear you down in the dumps. Sounds like a good time to get some blues or country playing going. Pop some country or blues music on and see if it motivates you to strum along.

On a side not. Pop on some adult entertainment and play guitar along to the scenes!!!! Did I get a smile for this :cool:

Feel better soon!!!!

Sorry to hear you down in the dumps. Sounds like a good time to get some blues or country playing going. Pop some country or blues music on and see if it motivates you to strum along.

On a side not. Pop on some adult entertainment and play guitar along to the scenes!!!! Did I get a smile for this :cool:

Feel better soon!!!!
I'm not even feeling down, but this put a smile on my face!

Depends on the anesthesia you had, the procedure you had done, the meds you are on as a result, and to some degree your own mind(this isn't meant as a dig...we all mentally handle pain differently). I deal with some patients specifically on their pain issues...more often than not it's management of that pain that gives them their lives back and lets them return to "normal" function. PM me if there are any questions you have or if I can give you any info to get you back on track!

Force yourself. Not a lot, just 15 minutes a day of scales or arpeggios or chord progressions (mix it up) so you don't lose your touch. Everyone goes through slumps once in a while, just let time pass.

Dusty Chalk is right. I have had four heart attacks and the meds they had me on made me not care to do anything but sleep and space out.
I had four back surgeries due to ruptured discs over time as well and felt the same way.

When I knew I was much interested in playing, I just held the guitar and watched TV and just noodled as best I could. As the days wore on and the meds wore off, I began playing more coherently.

Of course, everyone is different, but if you cannot afford to buy a new guitar which might inspire you, if it is the meds, it will wear off in time. If it proves to be indifference on your part brought about by the surgery, don't be hard on yourself. Allow time to recoop and then try to play again. It is different for everyone. Best of luck in recovering.

Sorry to read your feeling down my friend. Just hang in there the will to play is there.
Give it the time it needs don't hurry a good thing, all the best.

I have had four heart attacks and the meds they had me on made me not care to do anything but sleep and space out.

I still only want to sleep and space out, and it's been 7 or 8 months since my heart surgery.

Then again, I only wanted to sleep and space out before my heart surgery... ;)

The first step is often the hardest and like anything else a routine, a deadline and a challenge can all help. Sometimes I don't feel like playing until I start but because there is a new song, a new lick, a new rhythm to learn I know I have to. And then when I start, voila, I don't want to stop.

As roger daltry sang "pick up your guitar and play". Life is short, play hard.

Been a few more days, still feeling blah, but the pain hasn't been letting up, so going in for another follow up tomorrow, maybe the surgeon can figure out why I still feel like crap, lol, I have a feeling I know what the problem is, but I'll spare the gory details.. but I think more stitches are in my near future :(

What drugs are you on?

Oxy for pain, Penicillin because why not continue the trend of making antibiotics worthless, and some anti-nausea med.

Buy something new!

Seriously, sorry to hear you're in a funk. Sometimes just powering through is the way.

I would love to, but I have to wait another month, I just got a new guitar last month, and the boss said I'm only allowed new music purchases every other month, lol.

Tried that, didn't work too well, lol... this was suggested by someone else too, just run scales or whatever, just to get my hands going.

It's hard to do optional things when you're not feeling well.

I was actually thinking of you as this has been going on and wondered if you dealt with something similar after your surgery. This is the first "real" surgery I've had, it's been a hell of an experience.

Damn, sorry you're still feeling like crap! You could always just give me all your PRSi, then you'll feel so bad about doing such a dumb thing, you'll be dying to play! :D

What did they tell you the recovery time was? I'd wait til you're off the meds at least before you start worrying too much. Some of that stuff makes one very unmotivated for anything, which sounds like the case for you.

Nah, I can see a serious case of sellers remorse if that happened. They said recovery can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks :confused: not exactly a great estimate.

Feel better soon!!!!

It hurts to smile, but I smirked, lol.

Sometimes I just can't pick up my guitar even though I want to. I had surgery a few weeks back and now I'm changing jobs. My plan to take over the universe with my guitar just could not happen even though I wanted to.

When you have the emotional strength to start again, you will, but sometime you got to just chill. I think that's what my body/mind tells me to do sometimes.

Good luck with everything.

Oxy for pain
That'll be it then, many folks suffer tiredness, lethargy and symptoms similar to being drunk on oxy. I suppose that's why they're cherished for recreational use?

Back