Help for a newbie!

8-)

First Post!

I’ve been reading the electric and acoustic forums for a while now and I’m really impressed everybody’s knowledge and passion. I have two electric PRSi, one which I really like, and one which I love. I still need to get around to posting my NGDs on the electric forum.

But I’ve taken a real liking to playing acoustic. I’ve been borrowing my son’s cheap Peavey, now I want to take the plunge for a PRS SE acoustic. So I’m hoping you might help with opinions, thoughts, and facts.

I’m leaning towards the soon to be released Lifeson. I like the idea of the thin body, but I don’t like the idea of the tone controls (and other controls too, right?) being internal. (Wow, I feel stupid for asking this, but the controls have no effect when the guitar is not plugged in, right? Or do you just take out the battery to disable the controls?) So I’ve also been considering the Angelus Custom and Standard, since their controls are on the outside. But, really, I doubt I’ll ever plug in my acoustic, so should I even care about the controls being internal? How easy is it to manipulate the internal controls?

Any thoughts on the Dao wood in the Lifeson?

I’ve read threads on the Custom vs Standard Angelus, but any other thoughts would be appreciated. And, if it matters, my skill level is about a one on a scale of ten. But I am working hard to get better!!!

Anyway, thanks for listening, and all opinions and advice will be appreciated.

If you are unlikely to plug in the guitar, it doesn't matter where the controls are. In fact, being on the inside is a good thing, since they are out of the way and keep the body otherwise unaffected by an extra assembly mounted to the side. I have a guitar with internal controls, and although I prefer external controls, they are still ok to use. One good aspect - you won't accidentally bump a control in the sound hole.

If not using it plugged in for a long time, it is best to take the battery out, because idle batteries leak for some weird reason...

Dao wood supposedly is a good wood for such use. I've never played a Dao wood guitar, but I would bet it will sound just fine.

I think the Lifeson will do just fine for you. you might want to visit a guitar store and play any PRS acoustic they have available - probably an SE Angelus Standard - compare it to other brands. And then see if you can find a slim-body acoustic from another brand. It should give you an idea of what to expect from the Lifeson. I'm not sure when they will be available - I would guess later this month?

Thanks Shinksma, that's helpful and good advice. I'm definitely more comfortable now with the controls inside.

Looking forward to the release of the Lifeson, can't wait to try it. And with a birthday coming up, I have a ready excuse to buy it without guilt!

Thanks again for your help.

Hey, no worries, you're welcome!

I will probably pick up an SE Lifeson later this year - the Dao wood will be an interesting comparison to the Angelus Custom I just got, and the size of the body even more so.

One thing about external controls... they typically have a built in tuner which comes in real handy. I hate trying to keep track of a clip on tuner!

I use a tuner app in my iPhone. It's always with me and there is nothing else to carry or keep track of. Boom.

Thanks for the tips on the tuners. I'm a lazy guy so a built in tuner would be sweet, but ultimately the thinner body is more appealing to me.

i really can't wait to have a nice acoustic in my hands!

I use a tuner app in my iPhone. It's always with me and there is nothing else to carry or keep track of. Boom.

good point... I use the heck out of mine when visiting guitar stores and such.

Back