Help Chosing An Amp

I put an MXR Noise Clamp in my rig to cure exactly the same problem, but I suspect any 4-cable noise gate will work. If you're familiar with how to use one of those units to kill noise from pedals, just imagine your guitar's preamp as a "pedal" and insert the gate into the effects loop. It really took the hiss out of my gain channel, with no noticeable tone loss. If you like everything else about your amp, it's definitely the way to go.

The MXR is the cheapest unit around that I know of, it lacks the tight cutoff response of some of the more expensive units but it works fine for my needs. If you're playing really chunky metal, you might want one of the ISP Decimators, but if you just need to kill the noise when you're not playing, like in quiet passages or between songs, the MXR or Boss gates should work fine. My only word of warning, it may cut off your amp reverb when engaged, and you have to put your delay pedals AFTER the gate or they'll get cut off too.

My newest amp is an Egnater Tweaker 15 ( Head and Cab ) lots of options for well "tweaking" and for me after a tube change ( EL34s ) nice amp reasonable price.
I am also a fan of CRGTRs Dallas from Hell
and the 2 Channel H has some great demos.
( also can't go wrong with a nice Boogie )
Good luck in your search

I put an MXR Noise Clamp in my rig to cure exactly the same problem, but I suspect any 4-cable noise gate will work. If you're familiar with how to use one of those units to kill noise from pedals, just imagine your guitar's preamp as a "pedal" and insert the gate into the effects loop. It really took the hiss out of my gain channel, with no noticeable tone loss. If you like everything else about your amp, it's definitely the way to go.

The MXR is the cheapest unit around that I know of, it lacks the tight cutoff response of some of the more expensive units but it works fine for my needs. If you're playing really chunky metal, you might want one of the ISP Decimators, but if you just need to kill the noise when you're not playing, like in quiet passages or between songs, the MXR or Boss gates should work fine. My only word of warning, it may cut off your amp reverb when engaged, and you have to put your delay pedals AFTER the gate or they'll get cut off too.

Thanks for the advice. As I was looking into the pedals mentioned and refreshing my knowledge of terminology, I came across a helpful video about using the 4-cable method without losing signal strength from the guitar to the amp. Before I buy a noise gate, I'm going to play around with my POD HD-500 and see if one of the noise gates on there will work.

Thank you again for the advice!

I'm in the same boat: I'm new to the forums, new to PRS ownership (Bernie Marsden SE), and exploring an alternative to my current setup. Right now, I'm running through a Fender Supersonic 112. I love the sound that I'm getting through it, the problem that I have is that the Burn Channel (Overdrive) is incredibly noisy hissing, but when I try to reduce the gain on the channel, the output is just weak... it doesn't have nearly the punch that I love about this amp. Unfortunately, this problem is also impacting the stage volume in the church venues that I'm playing in.

What I'm looking for is an amp which will give me a crisp clean channel as well as a dependable and tonally clear overdrive... a lead boost would be nice as well.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this simply a problem of wanting too much out of an amp? Would this be an issue that would be solved by switching out tubes in the amp?

Any help or suggestions are welcome!

Changing tubes might help, but I think noise, to some degree or another can be a common problem, especially if using single coil pickups and/or being near florescent lighting. Some kind of noise gate is probably the best way to go, some good advice is above before my post.

I have a SS22 which I haven't been playing much lately. I'll have to check to see if I'm getting the noise you are talking about, or not, because I don't remember. If I'm not, it could be your tubes. I'll check it this weekend.

Back