Help - Authenticity Check

MayPRS

Hi,

I found a PRS Custom 24 online and I want your help to check if everything looks legit. The case I don't think its original but the guitar itself seems to. The problem is: the price is way to good for such a guitar, so I was wondering if you can help me.

I e-mail PRS already and this was their response (I hide serial for privacy purposes as its not my guitar and if it's legit):

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars! Serial #10 XXXXX is a 2010 Custom 24, with a Flame Maple top, Mahogany neck with a Standard profile, East Indian Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays, PRS tremolo, HFS treble and Vintage bass pickups, finished in Tobacco Sunburst, with nickel hardware.

The color does not match the PRS records so what gives? I really appreciate your help - if its indeed real I would be making the deal of a lifetime. Many thanks in advance.

fOFeQ3v.png

4P2ngdi.png

Ks7GwrA.png

SEdKQqy.png

f3HtBfi.png

The guitar in pictures is legit, but it looks like a 2008-2009 Custom 24 in either vintage yellow or Santana yellow. Legit axe, but it doesn't match the info from PRS, obviously....

Maybe other knowledgeable cats can pop in and add sone insight.

According to the PRS Guitar Book, the five-way rotary was replaced by the blade switch in 2010. Now, things are always a bit hazy around the transition time - it's very possible (actually, I'd say likely) that some rotary switches ended up as 2010 guitars. But as markd21 said, that is not tobacco sunburst.

The guitar in pictures is legit, but it looks like a 2008-2009 Custom 24 in either vintage yellow or Santana yellow. Legit axe, but it doesn't match the info from PRS, obviously....

Maybe other knowledgeable cats can pop in and add sone insight.
I agree

The case clearly isn't original, but the guitar has a legit look.

Hard to know for sure. I was taught that if a deal seems to good to be true, it is.

Less than half price of a new one... What bugs me is that it REALLY looks legit... I don't see any red flags (besides the non-matching color vs the PRS records) but I'm no expert on PRS... And if it is it's one hell of a deal...

The case is definitely not correct. It should have been in a rectangle multi-fit case.

The guitar looks legit. The headstock is usually a little odd shaped on the fakes. You can tell the actual year of the guitar since you have the serial number. The first two digits next to the number are the year. The birds date it around 2009 to maybe 2012, maybe a little earlier or later. It looks like it is vintage yellow. I don't ever remember seeing a "tobacco sunburst" color option on any of their guitars. That makes me question the accuracy of the information PRS sent you. They may have made a mistake when they recorded the information. If the person that owns it is willing to work with you, have him pull the pickups and send you pictures of the cavities. There will be some markings in them.

According to the PRS Guitar Book, the five-way rotary was replaced by the blade switch in 2010. Now, things are always a bit hazy around the transition time - it's very possible (actually, I'd say likely) that some rotary switches ended up as 2010 guitars. But as markd21 said, that is not tobacco sunburst.

There was a short time when you had the option in 2010 to order with a blade or a rotary while the blades were being phased-in.

I have a late 2010 Custom 24 (build date of 11/2010) with the blade optioned but it retains the original 5 way switching. Everything else on mine matches this one (mini tuner buttons, TRC, inlays, pickups) except the knobs. Mine has clear lampshades.

The color I'd vote as vintage yellow given the back is red.

I know sometimes during production things change the final product information.

My custom 24 is also listed as a 10top on the tag and in the cavity but not on the headstock which I suspect they determined after carving the top.

Edit: if it's a good deal, buy it and don't look back. These are phenomenal guitars.

The guitar is 110% legit without question. Don't know what to tell you on the color except to check the pickup cavities and the modcat.

Looks legit. I would compare the price against sold listings on eBay and Reverb to gauge how good of a deal it is instead of the original price…

I know I'm late to the party on this thread, but I would caution against it... look at the built up dust on the nut... this guitar obviously sat out a lot and didn't see a lot of play. Which is why it probably doesn't have the case with it. Nitro sitting in a stand for a long time can damage the nitro finish... it COULD have had a finish problem and gotten re-finished at some point which would explain the color discrepancy. Something smells way off with this.

Just my 2 cents... any time something appears too good to be true... it probably is.

I know I'm late to the party on this thread, but I would caution against it... look at the built up dust on the nut... this guitar obviously sat out a lot and didn't see a lot of play. Which is why it probably doesn't have the case with it. Nitro sitting in a stand for a long time can damage the nitro finish... it COULD have had a finish problem and gotten re-finished at some point which would explain the color discrepancy. Something smells way off with this.

Just my 2 cents... any time something appears too good to be true... it probably is.

2010 wasn't nitro.

Last edited:
Back