Help!!About Trem bridge height

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by craig, Nov 18, 2014.

1. craig

craig New Member

#1 craig, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. Chitarrista scarso

Chitarrista scarso New Member

Hello Craig,
    you're right: the rear part of bridge it's in contact with the guitar body, and that's wrong. This can happen for many reasons: too low tension of strings, or too much tension of springs under the bridge, etc.; in my opinion, if you are not expert about settings, is better remember PRS indication: "If you are unfamiliar with making these adjustments, we recommend that the guitar be taken to a qualified repair center."
    Nice guitar! Ciao :beer:

3. craig

craig New Member

Thank u so much!!!
    so...if i just loose spring's crawl screws in the back plate, the whole tremolo bridge will be rise?(about 1/16")
    should i take care anything else or do other setup?

#3 craig, Nov 18, 2014
  4. Chitarrista scarso

Chitarrista scarso New Member

Yes, the bridge will raise up by reducing the tension (loose screws) of the springs.
    But so many factors are involved about the correct bridge position, so this could be not enough... it's the raison why i've only stoptail bridges!
    Sorry for my english, i hope you understand me...
    The screws are NOT the little screws on the backplate, but the big screws in the tremolo cavity, which fix the springs on the wood.
    Take a look here
    http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?5544-Noisy-Tremolo-Springs-What-do-you-do
    and here
    http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?8430-US-Tremonti-Tremolo-Height-Example-Pic
    i hope this will be useful for you!

#4 Chitarrista scarso, Nov 18, 2014
  5. ADP

ADP New Member

A quick and easy way to do it is to find a few pieces of card that come to about 1/16" thick. Use the tremolo arm to raise the rear of your bridge and put the card underneath. Check that your bridge is level or as level as you want it to be. Tune your guitar. Now, with the guitar vertical - sitting on the strap button - gradually back out the screws in the claw. Do it evenly, one screw after the other, a half-turn at a time. When the card falls out, the tension between the strings and the springs in the back will be even. You should only have to make small adjustments to the tuning to get it perfect.

This works with all kinds of tremolos including Floyds. If your bridge were sitting too high at the rear, you'd have to screw the claw in tight first and then do this, but the process is the same.

6. gush

gush New Member

Visually check that trem is resting in thegroove of the six fulcrum screws. All 6 should be the ssame height just dont adjust them until you loosen all the strings or you will ruin them. Loosen each claw screw 1/2 turn at a time until the trem starts to lift off of body. Tune to pitch. If trem isn't level adjust screws then retune.

I have a prs that came to me with claw screwed tight to body. I think my springs are shot because of that. I tune to Eb and the spring claw is only 1/8 away from cavity wall with 4 springs and 10s. I think if I tuned to standard pitch or went to heavy 10s I would run out of adjustment.

Trem isn't as stable on this guitar either.

7. ADP

ADP New Member

It sounds like you just need new springs.

8. gush

gush New Member

Yes I think you're correct. I replaced the fulcrum screws because they were slightly worn so I will order some new springs see if that helps tuning stability.

9. craig

craig New Member

Thank u all guys!!It works for me!!
    But something I confuse....
    what i have to adjust is 6 fulcrum screws in front of saddle or the 2 big claw screws in the spring cavity??if i want to rise/lower bridge height

10. John Mann

John Mann olslowhand
    Authorized PRS Dealer

Check out my thread on the PTC section on how to set up a trem...

11. craig

craig New Member

excuse me....John....
    i'm just a freshman to this forum....could u provide the web link or that article's title to let me search
    Best regards

12. Jazzedout

Jazzedout New Member

That is the link John is referring to: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?11317-How-to-install-a-Vibrato-Bridge

The way I understand it is you either changed to a lighter gauge strings, or downtuned the guitar. In both cases I would loosen the two screws in the spring cavity just a little.
    If you changed your strings to a lighter gauge, intonation might need a setup as well...

13. craig

craig New Member

THANKS SO MUCH!!!so many things i need to learn:top: