Help about finish.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luke kallaher, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Luke kallaher

Luke kallaher New Member

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a prs se multifoil guitar. (A 2018 I think), and I’m tired of taking it out of the case and putting it back in. I want to get a cheap normal guitar stand, but I don’t know if it is safe for the multifoil finish. Does anyone know what multifoil is made from, and if it is safe for those foam guitar stands?

2. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I don't know about the multifoil specifically, you might check the MODCAT. A special finish would be identified. But it is likely poly and that would make it safe. But I would invest in a Hercules. Yeah, it's $50 but you'll be happier in the long run and it won't fall off and break something.

11top likes this.
  3. Luke kallaher

Luke kallaher New Member

I’m a beginner, and I don’t think it would be a good idea for me to unscrew the pickup to find the modcat code. Does modcat identify special finishes material?

4. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Welcome, we like Noobs!:) You don't have to unscrew the pickup. You can unscrew the rings that hold the pickup and set its height. These are the 4 screws on the 4 corners of the plastic that holds the pickup, not the one in the middle of the ring. That one sets the pickup height. The MODCAT is also on the pickup case when it was sold new. If it hasn't been removed you can just look there. If it has a special finish like V12 (which would be clouded by the foam but is no longer used I think), it will be there.

5. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

#5 Black Plaid, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  6. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

In any case, the SE Multifoil is going to be wrapped in a very durable polyurethane finish, you should have no problems with standard guitar stands.

garrett likes this.
  7. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Yep, any stand will be ok with the SE. But, I have to echo the recommendation for the Hercules. Sure, a little pricey, but the best.

8. jvin248

jvin248 New Member

Floor stands are disasters waiting to happen, they get kicked over, banged into, and a hundred other catastrophes.
    A wall hanger is much safer. However, make sure any wall hanger is anchored into a wall stud.

Cheap hanger is go to the hardware store and find those vinyl coated garage rake hangers and then find a family member/friend who can sew and make a slip over cover for the vinyl out of cotton. That way you'll have no worries about (later) getting a nitrocellulose covered guitar interacting with the vinyl. Modern poly PRS SE finishes are impervious to the vinyl. But anchor that hanger into a wall stud.

9. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

First, don't bother looking for a code under the pickups. SE guitars don't have any markings.

The top coat is polyurethane so is fine for any stand.

I like the A frame stands. They are much more stable than the taller type that cradle the neck.

Wall hangers are nice, too.

CandidPicker and veinbuster like this.