Help - 59/09 pickups on my CE22?

RocknPop

I just picked up a pair of 59/09 pups from a 2011 Custom24 and I'm considering putting them in my CE22.

What are your thoughts?
- how do the Dragon II compare to the 59/09?
- will the 59/09s make the CE22 sound like a Custom 24 (or close to it?)
- I am looking for more clarity and crispness, though I really like the Dragon IIs

I really liked a 2012 custom 24 that I played a while back. I liked the pups were aggressive, yet versatile enough to play different styles.

Anyone else gotten the 59/09s installed?

The uncovered 59/09's and covered 59/09's are such different animals to me. Of course, having the uncovered one's in my Westy and covered one's in my SCT ME has a lot to do with it.

In my hands, through my rig, uncovered 59/09's are raw, powerful, and very versatile. The covered 59/09's (same caveat) are great for hot blues (neck pup) and vintage rock tones.

Of course, there will always be people with rigs that can coax more from their pups than me so this is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

So I think yanking the cover from the bridge 59/09 and leaving it on the neck pup would make for a lethal combo in a CE22.

Sounds like you guys like them and that they are more of a favorite compared to the Dragon II pups.

You can get covers from stewmac.com or allparts.com. How do you plan to wax-pot them after you put new covers on?

IMO, you're better off polishing or brushing what you've got.

You can get covers from stewmac.com or allparts.com. How do you plan to wax-pot them after you put new covers on?

IMO, you're better off polishing or brushing what you've got.

What do you mean wax-pot? Also my covers on the CE22 are flaking out... can i still brush them?

Pickups are dipped in paraffin wax to tame microphonic squealing, and it sounds like your covers may be beyond polishing if the chrome is flaking off.
There are some options for replacing your covers without having to re-dip them, including the use of double-sided tape. If you are a high gain type of player you may experience more of an issue with squealing without wax.

I apologize for answering a question directed for Mr. Omatic, but I believe he is busy working on his top 25 desert island albums picks.

Pickups are dipped in paraffin wax to tame microphonic squealing, and it sounds like your covers may be beyond polishing if the chrome is flaking off.
There are some options for replacing your covers without having to re-dip them, including the use of double-sided tape. If you are a high gain type of player you may experience more of an issue with squealing without wax.

I apologize for answering a question directed for Mr. Omatic, but I believe he is busy working on his top 25 desert island albums picks.

Thanks Sergio, I'm not a high gain guy. In fact, I think I would be just fine without the covers on the 59/09s. Would it be bad they are uncovered?

Um... yes! That's what I'm working on. [a'hem] Thank you.

Thanks Sergio, I'm not a high gain guy. In fact, I think I would be just fine without the covers on the 59/09s. Would it be bad they are uncovered?
See 2nd paragraph of post #3 in this thread. Uncovered 59/09's rock.

I have never had the pleasure of playing anything with uncovered 59/09's so I can't speak from direct experience, but I don't think it would be bad, just different.
I would assume the covered ones would have a somewhat tamer output, which could result in a more "vintage" tone, but I am just assuming.

So whatcha gon do with those horribly beyond repair DII's?

I have never had the pleasure of playing anything with uncovered 59/09's so I can't speak from direct experience, but I don't think it would be bad, just different.
I would assume the covered ones would have a somewhat tamer output, which could result in a more "vintage" tone, but I am just assuming.

So whatcha gon do with those horribly beyond repair DII's?

I played uncovered 59/09s on a Custom 24 at Sam Ash a few weeks back. I really liked the sound. I think I should be ok.

Now, I'm not sure what to do with the D II's... suggestions? First thought was to buy a PRS SE and install them in there...

That was my second thought actually, but probably the better idea for you and this forum. Hope to hear a new tone report soon!

I'm probably in the minority but I liked the DIIs in my SE Semi-hollow. They make for a nice upgrade over most of the stock SE pickups.
+1 on the the comments about the uncovered 59/09s. Demoed a Custom 24 with them and it sounded fantastic.

I'm probably in the minority but I liked the DIIs in my SE Semi-hollow. They make for a nice upgrade over most of the stock SE pickups.
+1 on the the comments about the uncovered 59/09s. Demoed a Custom 24 with them and it sounded fantastic.

That's exactly what I was thinking of picking up! A semihollow SE.... tell me more about how they sound in your guitar.

You don't have to wax pot the pups when you add a cover. Just get some silicone & put a dab on the slug side of the top of the pickup & slide the cover on. Search RS Guitars on YouTube & there is a great demo of this exact job. I done it a few times & it worked great every time.

That's exactly what I was thinking of picking up! A semihollow SE.... tell me more about how they sound in your guitar.

They sound great in the Semi-hollow. The semi-hollow is a very bright sounding guitar in general and the DIIs are more open sounding in that guitar than any other I've had them in. It's a pretty good match in my opinion. I've actually got McCarty's in the SE now but I may put the DIIs back in there soon.

Back