Hellow forum. Question on a PRS I'm looking at.

JTWUSMC

Hey forum. This is my first post, but hopefully not my last. Im looking at a nice PRS right now an want to be sure the value is good.

The guitar is a (gently used) PRS 24 20th anniversary custom artist model. It has a burl-wood body that looks spectacular. Can the experts on here tell me what a reasonable deal on this is? Im buying from a local guy and haven't made my offer yet.

Thanks!

My main confusion is that I haven't seen one of these in burl-wood. Is this an upgrade from the maple top? How does it impact the value?

Hi there, we don't reeeally talk about prices on here. Your best bet is to try and find another example on eBay or 2nd hand from a dealer. That might be difficult as the burl tops are not that common, with that in mind, they would command a price premium over a "normal" CU24 20th Anni. Finding a "normal" one would be very easy, so you could use this as a basis as the current market value.

As always, try before you buy. Look it over very carefully, my biggest bug bear is people adjusting the trem when they don't really know what they're doing. Have a good look at the 6 screws which fix the trem to the body. They should all be perfectly at the same height, and set so the trem sits 1/16" off the body of the guitar. Don't worry too much if the trem isn't parallel, that can be fixed easily, it's more the distance from the body, closest to where the 6 screws are.

Good luck, and if you do buy it, make sure you post up some pics, give us a tone report, and stick around for some PRS discussion!

Thanks for the info. I don't see a lot of 24 fret examples out there. Do they generally run the same more or less than the 22 fret models?

If you post pics, people here can generally confirm what you're looking at, too.

Back