Heavier Gauge String differences

Jock68

New HB ll, Is it my imagination or do you need to hit them harder than a lighter gauge string? I also feel that i need to build up more strength in my fingers. Is this a first day thing, and I will not notice tomorrow, or is it something that you need to learn and adapt to ?

First question, I don't know for sure.

About the strength, yes you'll need more if you're trying to play the same way. If you didn't set your guitar up after you put the heavier strings on, that could contribute to it feeling more difficult to play as the higher tension strings may pull the neck more and raise the action.

On a side note, heavier strings allow for slightly lower action because the arc they make when vibrating is a little smaller. If you ever get the chance to play some jazz-cat's guitar that's well we'll set up with super heavy strings, you'd be surprised how easily they play.

I have different gauges on different guitars and it takes a few minutes of playing to get my hands/fingers to adjust when switching between them. If you're completely new to the heavier gauge, your hands/fingers will need to learn how to work with it but that should only take a couple days.

New HB ll, Is it my imagination or do you need to hit them harder than a lighter gauge string?

I don’t remember if I had to pick heavy strings any harder but it was an adjustment in feel.

I also feel that i need to build up more strength in my fingers.

It would probably depend on what you’re used to. If you’re changing from.008’s to .012‘a you may feel you have to fret harder. If you going from .010’s to .011’s, not so much. As was mentioned, it helps to lower the action.

Is this a first day thing, and I will not notice tomorrow, or is it something that you need to learn and adapt to ?

If you play a lot I would assume it might be a first day thing. You’ll learn to adapt. I have .009’s on my electrics and .011’s on my acoustics. If I don’t play acoustics for a while it still takes a few minutes to get used to.

Agree with the above - you'll adapt pretty quickly. I have 11s on my 594 and 10s on my Strat - the difference isn't stark (perhaps down to different scale lengths) but I feel like the 593 with the 11s is easier to control, e.g. less tendency to over-bend or pull too hard on strings when chording. I do tend to have a bit of a heavy hand though.

Back