Headstocks

Albrecht Smuten

Nine of Hearts
As I may have posted before, I'm a HUGE fan of PRS headstock design. Everytime I see one, my heart melts. It almost turns me on.

I just wanted to share, that besides the aesthetic thrill it gives me, I find it very practical for two reasons:

1) When I polish the strings and don't want to touch them anymore, the headstock is very easy to hold with two fingers (index finger goes to A, thumb goes to B), so I can put it in the gig-bag without touching the strings.
2) Since I don't have a guitar stand (and never remember to buy one, until on stage...), the C part allows me to lean the guitar against the amplifier edge (vertical) and it's pretty stable AND there's no risk of accidentally moving the tuners.

Try that with Fender ;)

(the 3-Mike-7 logo is just for fun, no intention to mock anyone, be it PRS or th3mike himself)

2a6poc7.jpg

Last edited:
Hahaha I love it. Also, I'm a huge fan of the headstock. Its one of, if not, my absolute favorite.

It may be sacriledge, but my favorite PRS headstock design is most definitely the Santana shape. Then again, my favorite PRS model is also the Santana...versions 1, 2 and various PS iterations.

Hahaha I love it. Also, I'm a huge fan of the headstock. Its one of, if not, my absolute favorite.

I'm glad you do :)
They're so subtle and elegant, yet a little agressive (which I love too)...

It may be sacriledge, but my favorite PRS headstock design is most definitely the Santana shape. Then again, my favorite PRS model is also the Santana...versions 1, 2 and various PS iterations.

:eek:

I've got to admit that i'm a fan of the PRS headstock too. I love the slightly asymmetrical top curve - it's instant, classic and timeless.

Got to be honest, I think the Fender Strat headstock is a beauty too but the Gibson one - to me at least - seems dated.

I like the way the curve of the headstock mirrors the curve of the doublecut body shape. It's a classic, cool design that doesn't pretend to be from 1890-something.

The PRS headstock is one of my favorites, no doubt. It and the Jackson pointy are my two favorites. Never got into the Gibson headstock shape either, and the Fender shapes were always a bit off to me.

I also love the prs design. I love prs period.
Never had a guitar fit me so well. I play my Sg for a little biy and right back too the prs. Soubd, playability and build quality are too notch.
I agree, Gibsons headstock is dated, kinda boring really.

Of course the biggest practical issue with Gibson headstocks (or at least most of them) is that the combination of fairly large headstock angle (17 degrees, usually, I think), plus neck angle (relative to the body) means that if/when a Gibson Les Paul or ES-335 falls flat on it's back, the impact is taken fully by the end of the headstock. Which is why you see so many used Gibsons for sale with headstock repairs.... Gibson owners of course say that the large headstock angle is all part of getting good tone, but PRSi have great tone with a smaller headstock angle. (And of course with Fenders the headstock is basically parallel to the fretboard, and you need a string-tree or two to get enough downward string pressure at the nut.)

As an aside, I've always liked the look of the Tele headstock, more than the Strat headstock. (And within Strats, I like the smaller version more than the larger 70's version.)

As I type this I am staring at my wall, it looks the same as in my second link in my sig below.

I love my Gibson SG, but man, the headstocks are HUGE.
The PRS headstocks are a thing of beauty.

As I type this I am staring at my wall, it looks the same as in my second link in my sig below.

I love my Gibson SG, but man, the headstocks are HUGE.
The PRS headstocks are a thing of beauty.

Huge? Pffft. Now, THIS is a huge headstock!!

100_5228.jpg

100_5229.jpg

100_4178.jpg

That PRS Headstock I like a lot. The Santana not so much. Gibson's are "ok". The old large strat one is my least fav. Tele's are better then Strats.

I love this shape. On a mandolin. This is a hockey-stick :D

Skating from behind his own net....he flies down ice...eludes the defense-man at the red line.....dekes out the last remaining defender....crosses the blue line....fakes left, the goalie commits too early....He shoots.....he scores!!!!!

Now....THESE are hockey sticks....

$%28KGrHqJ,%21jYE8FFofj-qBPEf%21Dkk5w%7E%7E60_35.JPG
ping

Last edited:
Skating from behind his own net....he flies down ice...eludes the defense-man at the red line.....dekes out the last remaining defender....crosses the blue line....fakes left, the goalie commits too early....He shoots.....he scores!!!!!

Now....THESE are hockey sticks....

$%28KGrHqJ,%21jYE8FFofj-qBPEf%21Dkk5w%7E%7E60_35.JPG
ping

Haha, brilliant. Leaning those against the amp would be immediate disaster.

Gibson Moderne... Now that was a seriously ugly headstock!

GibsonModerne1.jpg

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the Gumby headstocks! I even like the offset, split V thing too. The ones I don't care for are any of the twelve string variations from Fender.

Goldtop

Back