HeadRush Gigboard v. 2.3

I have some of the Choptones IRs. IMHO they pretty much suck.

I'm not sure which ones you bought, but mine are pretty awesome, knowing how I dialed them in and what effects/amps I used. I will admit there are a bunch I don't particularly like, but the ones I listened to and chose so they would work well with my configs, did just that.

Just so I know what playing field we're on, what Choptones IRs did you buy, and what style of music do you prefer?

I have the Van Halen and Pink Floyd packs. The rigs are decent. The IRs, not so much. I play heavy rock.

I have the Van Halen and Pink Floyd packs. The rigs are decent. The IRs, not so much. I play heavy rock.

I think the Plexxi pack would be a good choice for you. I use it for my crunch (MC VERGE) and my EVH rigs, with good success. Like you, I also own the VH pack, but found it a tad harsh with the Peavey amps. I prefer the 82 100W Marshall & '67 Plexi Marshall with Plexxi IR for my EVH rig. The dual stereo dynamic delays in series with 2 FRFR108s is just about perfect for me. I’ve found that the Bogner fills in the frequency gaps the Marshall misses on, and creates this thick, lush stereo wash.

I’ve forgotten that you use you Marshall DSL as your power amp/speaker, which limits the capabilities of the Gigboard. If perhaps you ever decide to try the FRFR route, we’ll be here to lend a hand with these killer rigs we’ve got set up on our Gigboards, just in case you might like to try ours.

I like my Choptones too. I have the Metal packs though.

You know, I tried to like the metal packs, but they just seemed too “over the top” with their tones. I guess if they were paired with the correct amps, I could dig them, but from the CT videos, they don’t describe what you’d like to hear upfront with something other than Mesa treadplates. To each his own. I guess I’m just old school rock regards hard rock tunes.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, I have the FRFR, but it is mostly gathering dust. I’m using the DSL for tone having forsaken the amp/cab modeling in the Gigboard as inferior to the real Marshall tones. The Gigboard handles all of the effects and patches as well as channel switching on the amp.

Like I said earlier, I have the FRFR, but it is mostly gathering dust. I’m using the DSL for tone having forsaken the amp/cab modeling in the Gigboard as inferior to the real Marshall tones. The Gigboard handles all of the effects and patches as well as channel switching on the amp.

Roger that. If perhaps you ever consider using the FRFR instead of the DSL, don't be shy asking about our rigs/setlist parameters. More than happy to help.

Recent MAIN RIG tweaks with images instead of written notation. (Some folks prefer to see things as they exist, not second hand information...).

The MC CLEAN RIG:

pC71lL2.jpg

nKwOwxX.jpg

NG2Nd1Q.jpg

5gJ2uPB.jpg

Last edited:
My feeling is that for the last 3 examples, MC EVH, MC LEAD, and MC VERGE, these are comparatively high-gain amps with significant saturation. In the next few days, my hope is to tame the harshness of these settings by dialing back a little on the treble and tone settings. One thing I've learned is that too much treble results in a fizzy harshness, much like having too much foam on your favorite glass of IPA. Images will be edited to reflect these adjustments and comments made for clarification.

Not familiar with your device, but I generally prefer to tame fizz in the cab block when possible. That frees up the amps tone controls to dial the tone I want, rather than using them to get rid of fizz.

Not familiar with your device, but I generally prefer to tame fizz in the cab block when possible. That frees up the amps tone controls to dial the tone I want, rather than using them to get rid of fizz.

if you're referring to the IR cab, there is typically a hi and low cut tweak you can make, as well as a gain tweak. Do you suggest cutting the high frequencies down to about 8KHz, or what frequency cutoff would you suggest?

if you're referring to the IR cab, there is typically a hi and low cut tweak you can make, as well as a gain tweak. Do you suggest cutting the high frequencies down to about 8KHz, or what frequency cutoff would you suggest?
Depends on the cab IR, and the amp model in use. On the Atomic stuff, with stock cabs, they recommend starting at around 8K and then rolling down from there as needed.

I also have a Jay Mitchell post where he gave a more surgical method of removing it with a parametric EQ block. I might be able to find and copy it here. It's from the Atomic forum.

Depends on the cab IR, and the amp model in use. On the Atomic stuff, with stock cabs, they recommend starting at around 8K and then rolling down from there as needed.

I also have a Jay Mitchell post where he gave a more surgical method of removing it with a parametric EQ block. I might be able to find and copy it here. It's from the Atomic forum.

Thanks for the offer, no need for bringing in the Atomic. I prefer Choptones mostly, and these allow hi & low cut and gain addition or attenuation.

8 KHz seemed like a decent number to begin with, so I'll try that and see where it takes me.

Regards the parametric EQ, most of my effects blocks are occupied regards my high-gain rigs, and I've already learned that it's not wise to run high-gain rigs with too many effects. The problem is, as it stands now, additional effects just muddies up an otherwise clean signal, and being able to clean up with lower volumes is preferable than running high gain amps full up all the time.

The IR cab hi-cuts will be enough for solving my fizzy harshness problem, theoretically. Will report back later this afternoon.

P.S. Thanks for the insight regards the parametric EQ. My personal expertise using parametric EQs isn't that developed yet, so I'll need to step away from trying that for now.

As an afterthought, it might be possible for me to post a question on the HeadRush Forum about this topic. There might be some posts there already that might have addressed this, as well.

Well, the Cab IR hi-cut plus some treble attenuation did the trick. Rolled back the hi-cut from 20kHz to about 8KHz, then checked all of my overdrive and boost EQs. Even dialed back on some amp treble. Result: Much milder, rounder, softer tone. (Read: less spit and fizz from each rig).

Thx, Howie, for the counsel regards the Cab IR hi-cut. My ears can tell the difference; I'd guess yours could if you were sitting here listening as well..

In the image screens above, several tweaks were made to the EQ settings for each of the 2 amps used with each rig. The tweaks are minor and not drastic drops or increases. Most of these are designed to attenuate the strident tones made by upper register frequencies...much the same way a parent might suggest a child use his "indoor voice" at home.

The results were acceptable for my needs. Invariably, though, there will need be some additional tweaks in the future, simply because my ears hear different things throughout the course of a week's time. Perhaps it's better hearing, or less wax, I dunno. Mebbe it's how close one gets to the PA speakers. Anyway, the treble issues have subsided somewhat and I can listen to improved tones simply by adjusting the hi-cut and treble downwards.

Back