HeadRush Gigboard v. 2.3

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Recently. HeadRush had contacted its registered owners stating that a new version off their OS platform was available on their website, v. 2.3.

There are some notable additions to HeadRush's effects and amp line-up: In Amps, 2 new 'Tangerine 30 Channels 1 & 2, In Effects: Anxiety OD V.2, D1 Distortion, K Drive ( a Klon clone), MXR MX Drive, & the Round Fuzz; In Modulation: the Acoustic Sim, a Detune, & an Octaves Up; lastly, in Delay & Reverb, an AmbiVerb.

Although I've not explored these new additions thoroughly, I did try the K Drive, much to my delight. Below are 4 images of what my MAIN RIG Page 1 displays, as well as a JPEG of the internal parameters in table format that you might find enjoyable as well. The JPEG table describes each rigs' parameters.

If you have any questions regards my rigs, please feel free to post some comments. These rigs are always being tweaked ever so slightly to dial in better tones. I think the most recent ones with an adjustment of gain on my boost effects has improved each rig's quality measurably.

FNtclIY.jpg

mDCviZi.jpg

WR03SRi.jpg

M8lwWsd.jpg

zEfgPLl.jpg

EDIT: The rig settings have been modified since the MC VERGE rig underwent a IR cab swap. Previously, a Tone Imperial cab, now a Plexi. Also, some EQ, gain, and tone tweaks. Also the Delay settings in the all but the MC CLEAN were reset to 35% MIX.

In MC EVH, the amps are a 82 LEAD 800 100W, & a 67 Plexi Variac. Settings for each are as follows: the 82 800: M Vol: 60%, PRE: 80%, PRES: 30%, BASS: 55%, MIDS: 50%, TREB: 45%. For the 67 Plexi: N VOL: 70%, H VOL: 65%, PRES: 30%, TREB: 45%, MID: 55%, BASS: 60%

IN MC LEAD, the amps are a 97 Bogner RB-01 Blue Chnl and 67 Blue Line Scoop : Settings for these are: the 97 Blue: GAIN: 80%, PRES: 25%, VOL: 70%, TREB: 40%, MID: 55%, BASS: 50%, BOOST: 50%, BRIGHT: ON. For the Blue Line: GAIN: 75%, PRES: 30%, M VOL: 80%, TREB: 50%, MID: 55%, BASS: 55%. Tremolo/Speed/Depth/Sync: Not Used. BRIGHT: OFF

Last edited:
If there were one rig I'd pick over the others, it would be the MC LEAD with Bogner and Dumble Blue Line models. That rig sounds massive and reminds me of how my tube amps sounded like when I jammed on "We Don't Get Fooled Again." Simply an awesome lead tone.

I'd like to try your settings on my next break from work. I read that the Klon is also great with the screamer in front of it.

I'd like to try your settings on my next break from work. I read that the Klon is also great with the screamer in front of it.

That's how I'd likely write it as well...JRC-OD followed by Klon.

Don't underestimate the White Boost using a Smooth or Analog Warm setting. The extra 20% GAIN puts things together quite nicely and fattens up an otherwise thinner tone. Worked great for my MC EVH.

The IR samples are Choptones, not HeadRush. Choptones has some quality IRs that do a better job of providing amp-like tone than HR does...or maybe I just have not done enough research into what the payoff IRs are.

I DO see a lot of "Sticky Fingers" from outside folks trying to cop some of this, but hey, it's the internet, I'm not hungry, and I've got napkins. Go ahead and enjoy.

Been wondering how does the parallel amps in the series work... do they run at the aame time? Or are they used separately like one for clean and and the other for dirt?

Been wondering how does the parallel amps in the series work... do they run at the aame time? Or are they used separately like one for clean and and the other for dirt?

Apparently, one can click on the 2x option and select a 2nd amp that connects to your IR without needing add a 2nd cabinet. This option adds dimension and depth to your mix, and makes for a richer, fuller tone.

Whatever you dial in for parameters in parallel you can either make clean, dirty, or both. I set my first rig 2 Lux amps for clean, and the remaining 3 rigs for overdriven...

I've not tried running two amps in series (you'd need to switch one in and one out of the circuit for this to work correctly, otherwise you'd be amplifying a previous amp.)

You COULD theoretically run 2 clean amps in parallel, followed in series by 2 overdriven amps in parallel. You'd only need switch out 2 amps in parallel from running at the same time as each other in series.

UPDATE:

After receiving my replacement McCarty bridge studs and performing an intonation, my McCarty is sounding much better than it had previously. How so?

Simply that the intonation set the neck action and pickup height closer to the strings, making for a warmer, fuller, richer sound. This became evident once the McCarty was plugged into the Gigboard v 2.3, and some adjustments made to my rigs.

The MC CLEAN rig now has louder harmonic overtones that begin to overdrive when the guitar volume is dimed. Also the MC VERGE & MC EVH rigs are also louder but with better tone and sound clarity. What was previously more "clouded" now has greater overdriven clarity (read: you can hear both the overdriven and clean notes together, with richer harmonic content). Chords are much clearer as well. Lastly, my MC LEAD rig got beefier and can now feed a family of 4, instead of just man & wife. LOL.

Must admit that when I gave it the HeadRush a chance, it did exactly what it was supposed to do. Now I'm grateful for the folks who provided their input and saved me some silly money had I chosen a Neural Quad Cortex instead.

UPDATE:

After receiving my replacement McCarty bridge studs and performing an intonation, my McCarty is sounding much better than it had previously. How so?

Simply that the intonation set the neck action and pickup height closer to the strings, making for a warmer, fuller, richer sound. This became evident once the McCarty was plugged into the Gigboard v 2.3, and some adjustments made to my rigs.

The MC CLEAN rig now has louder harmonic overtones that begin to overdrive when the guitar volume is dimed. Also the MC VERGE & MC EVH rigs are also louder but with better tone and sound clarity. What was previously more "clouded" now has greater overdriven clarity (read: you can hear both the overdriven and clean notes together, with richer harmonic content). Chords are much clearer as well. Lastly, my MC LEAD rig got beefier and can now feed a family of 4, instead of just man & wife. LOL.

Must admit that when I gave it the HeadRush a chance, it did exactly what it was supposed to do. Now I'm grateful for the folks who provided their input and saved me some silly money had I chosen a Neural Quad Cortex instead.

How great that everything's working right for ya!

I can't play Van Halen's stuff, so I figure I don't need the tone. :)

I can only dream, but since my younger days, that "dream is over."

Back then it was a case of "growing concern."

Nowadays it's watching some bonehead wanker TRY to play Van Halen. (Present company excluded, thanks)

Last edited:
UPDATE: Just thought to re-list my Gigboard settings with updated parameters. While this may not clarify how "busy" it looks, the list provides you with the correct parameters. Kind of like how a pilot's cabin looks when he's preparing to fly or land an aircraft. The touchscreen is simplified, but the internal parameters is what defines the touchscreen's performance.

And no, Leslie Nielsen is not my copilot.

I got a 2nd Headrush FRFR108 cab for my birthday from my family! It sounds so GOOD that I almost wet my pants! It's my first time to try a stereo rig in my 30+ years of pretend playing! It sounds weird - but in a good way! It's like the sounds come from the center but there are some echoes and whatnots going on thrown at me from the left and right!

FRFR means full range-flat response to those who are not familiar. They're great amplification for mfx/modelers as they do not color the tone that the modeler is meant to reproduce.

Now, I have to wait until summer break before I could really play and catch up.

Do I sound excited?

I love my Gigboard, but since I bought my DSL, I am only using it for effects. The amp and cab modeling are good, but not real Marshall good. With the four cable method, the Headrush makes a hell of a great effects rig though.

I got a 2nd Headrush FRFR108 cab for my birthday from my family! It sounds so GOOD that I almost wet my pants! It's my first time to try a stereo rig in my 30+ years of pretend playing! It sounds weird - but in a good way! It's like the sounds come from the center but there are some echoes and whatnots going on thrown at me from the left and right!

FRFR means full range-flat response to those who are not familiar. They're great amplification for mfx/modelers as they do not color the tone that the modeler is meant to reproduce.

Now, I have to wait until summer break before I could really play and catch up.

Do I sound excited?

Well, first of all, I know you're not old enough for Depends, but a big CONGRATS on acquiring your 2nd FRFR108.

If I may so bold to suggest...after your IR, place one dynamic stereo delay after one other, set one tempo for quarter note, the 2nd for 3/16, about the same remaining parameters, save, and play.

(You might need a mop to clean up the subsequent floor. It's that good. Trust me on this, and try it, you'll thank me later...)

I love my Gigboard, but since I bought my DSL, I am only using it for effects. The amp and cab modeling are good, but not real Marshall good. With the four cable method, the Headrush makes a hell of a great effects rig though.

At one point before owning an FRFR, I'd considered the 4-cable method for use with an amp's FX loop, so the Gigboard was only a glorified effects board. My better half asked if it would save money and still provide the tone I sought if I purchased an FRFR, and sold the amp (which would finance both the Gigboard and FRFR)?

I ended up doing the Billy Idol song, "Dancing with Myself" for about 2 nights in a row. After some silly arguments and rationalization, I did the math and calculated the cost of what the pros and cons would be.

And yeah, the Gigboard/FRFR108 won. Even though I owned a decent effects board with boutique amp, I just couldn't deny the fact that the Gigboard would provide just about any effect I'd ever use, and although there are limited amp models, there is a Fender Deluxe, a '67 Plexi Marshall, a 82 100W Marshall, a Bogner Blue and Red model, and a Robben Ford "Blue-Line" amp, supposedly a D-Style amp. With the correct IR, you can do just about anything you'd ever need. Plus a boatload more no mortal human could ever afford to own and store in the same space as a Gigboard / FRFR.

My current setlist includes 4 rigs for my McCarty, 4 rigs for my SE HBII Piezo, and 4 rigs for my SE A60E. For each rig, I stack 2 amps of differing settings into one IR, with stereo dynamic delays following. I can't begin to describe how massive this sounds. No pants flapping, no air push. Just massive stereo effects and amps through quality IRs. With the correct tweaking of EQ, tone, gain, and level, the rigs are just incredible tone machines.

I'm holding back playing live with my Gigboard, because my chops aren't up to snuff yet. But once they are, I'm open-mic bound. That will be a separate post, but if 2 FRFRs are better than one, think how plugging stereo into 2 powered PA speakers will sound at open-mic?

Last edited:
I have the FRFR 112, but the Marshall rig sounds better. I will give the amp modeling/FRFR credit for filling the room well. To hear the Marshall at its best I have to sit right in front of it.

I prefer the built in-cab models in the Gigboard. I have bought a bunch of IRs from supposedly reputable companies, but they all sound pretty lousy.

Overall, the modeling sounds good, but less like an amp in a room and more like the recorded sound of an amp on a record. I still love the Gigboard for the effects, the looper, and the ability to save patches.

I have the FRFR 112, but the Marshall rig sounds better. I will give the amp modeling/FRFR credit for filling the room well. To hear the Marshall at its best I have to sit right in front of it.

I prefer the built in-cab models in the Gigboard. I have bought a bunch of IRs from supposedly reputable companies, but they all sound pretty lousy.

Overall, the modeling sounds good, but less like an amp in a room and more like the recorded sound of an amp on a record. I still love the Gigboard for the effects, the looper, and the ability to save patches.

If perhaps you have not checked out Choptones (their Plexxi, Naked Fender, Tone Imperial IRs, especially), give them a chance. The Plexxi, specifically for overdriven tones. I've heard other IRs, but Choptones seems IMHO, top notch.

Back