Headphones

Chris528

I'm looking for the best headphones in the $100-$150 price range to plug into my amp. Right now I can play my amp as loud as I want, but will be moving in the near future and it won't be allowed. Looking for a nice set that will be good for this purpose.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

As with any piece of gear, there are no "best" headphones, only what works best for you. One big reason why is everyone's head and pinnae (outer ears) have different shapes and sizes. So come sets of cans simply work better on a given head or pair of ears. Another reason is that different folks focus on sound in different ways, and the closer the ear is to the source, of course the more that's going to vary.

For example, there are people who can't stand closed-back headphones, and some who dislike open-back phones, and each of these has certain characteristic sounds. Same with over-the-ear and on-the-ear headphones. Then there is the whole issue of how the pads feel, and how well they seal against your head. And some people like listening at relatively high volume levels, others prefer it lower, and headphones generally vary by how good they sound at high or low volumes.

Then there is the whole issue of impedance; some have very low impedance specs so they can work with iPods, etc., and others have higher impedance specs because they're designed for working with other kinds of equipment. So you definitely want to know your amp's headphone jack impedance to match it for best performance.

Anyway, it's a very, very personal thing. I say this because I have outside talent come to my studio, and I offer several choices in cans to them so they feel comfortable while performing (and for your purpose, a set of decent studio phones probably makes a lot of sense). There are times that the talent listen to a few sets of cans and pick one, and it's always different for different people. Rarely do they pick the ones I'd pick.

I'd certainly look at Grado's entry into that price level, Beyer's DT-770 can often be found for just a little more, Sennheiser's HD 280 are good, lots of people like Sony's 7506, Shure SH440 have gotten good reviews, AKG K240 are sets of cans you see at most studios, etc. Good luck!

Edit: Forgot to mention Audio Technica ATH M-50. Very good cans.

Last edited:
My sweet spot! I have 6 pair of headphones - 2 Grado, AKG, BeyerDynamic, Sennheiser, Sony... and amps for each.

You're gonna have to decide whether you can live with open ear phones (others will hear but good sound quality), or closed - over or on ear, noise canceling?, whether you like more bass or treble/mid range, etc.

Without getting wordy, go to Headphone.com. Even if you don't buy from them, they compile good reviews, ratings and specs for a hella lot of good cans.

(My picks in that range - AKG K271 MKII. Looks a little funny, a little low on bass, but with a decent Fiio amp, they sound awesome. Grado SR80 is another, but others will hear and they tend to fatigue the ears more, though some find them perfectly comfy.)

I'll second what Les said about impedance, I have a set of AKG headphones that rarely get used because they are high-impedance and just won't get loud enough to rock out with.

Funny thing about guitar speakers is that I feel like they are really responsible for a lot of the "tone" shaping of a guitar amp... Kinda wish Celestion would make some headphones designed for bedroom guitarists.

Beyerdynamics Dt 880 Edition 32Ohms.
also have Beyerdynamics Dt 770 pro and AKG but those ^^ are the best.

1012019_10201637794860996_1419887861_n.jpg

that is true, but worth a try.
there is no headphones being that comfortable and great sounding.

Actually, there are some very excellent comparable phones, but they cost a lot more - Grado's 1000 series (absolutely wonderful, and I had a pair I used to check mixes with), Stax SR-009s, Fostex TH900, Sennheiser HD800. Beyer's own T-1. All are well over a grand, and the ones you mention are indeed a great value.

from my personal experiences, do NOT get a Beats headphone for guitar-playing. It's too bass-focused and the mids are awfully scooped.

I've tried the Shure SRH440 and I can't say enough good things about it. Very neutral-sounding, lots of clarity and probably one of the better choices for monitoring and producing music. And it's very affordable too at $99! Of course, the high-enders Audio-Technica and BeyerDynamics are great stuff too, but the prices are a different story here. I can't remember the AT and BD models that I've tried.

Back