Headphone Use?

Was also thinking about building an isolation cab and put it in the garage and mic it to a small small mixer with a headphone tap.

Ages ago I tried the Randall ISOcab and the Rivera Silent Sister. I was not a fan of the sound. The boxes were smaller in dimension than my Rivera C112 cabs, but very deep. The tone always seemed ice-picky to me.

Thanks for the advice. Would be a lot easier just to plug into something and play. Problem is I have played tube amps since the 70’s and nothing to me sounds like a tube amp, but a tube amp. I have not tried a Kemper or the Axe FX though. But not going to spend that kind of money for headphone use.

I have a headphone amp (pretty cheap Mackie HM400) that does an acceptable job for me. My phones are AKG 712 Pro, Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro and Westone UM50 Pro IEM's. I am happiest with the AKG's, but the Westone's are nice when I want a little more freedom and the Beyers give me the best isolation, but are a bit heavy. Tone wise, the Beyers are the most pronounced, the AKG's are the clearest and the Westones are great but they are what they are (IEM's). One thing to note with headphone jammin' is, there is going to be some hiss that you probably don't hear through your amp or monitors. It can be EQ'd out for the most part, and IEM's are going to have it more than a traditional set of cans. Long and short from me would be, run it through a mix board where you have some good control over the signal and then output that to a headphone amp, just don't expect it to be "the same" as playing through your amp!

What are you guys using for silent playing through headphones? I have gone though a few practice amps that had headphone out jacks from Vox, Fender, and Peavey. Clean, they all sound ok. Over-driven, not so great. Had a Boss GT-1 for use as my travel amp through small powered monitors which was just ok. Once again, over-driven sounds just don’t cut it. Someone on another form mentioned the Quilter Superblock UK being very tube like sounding though headphone.

Was thinking about getting a Line Six Pod Go, but read some not so favorable reviews on head phone use. Not going to spend the money for a Kemper or AXE FX. I have quite a number of tube amps, but rarely use them. My wife has some health issues and she can’t handle the guitar playing through an amp. Looking for advice.
If you have a number of tube amps, I like the 2 Notes Captor X.

I have a Captor (not X) for my MB stiletto and use my HX as an IR loader. Works great, however there seems to be some additional/strange distortion in the high frequencies, that is not audible when playing through a cab when the captor is attenuating the signal, nor does my Kemper pick it up when profiling through the captor. Any thoughts?

Otherwise: cool unit and something to check out!

I've used Fractal products for years. Axe Ultra, then Axe II XL, and currently the FM3. Guitar -> FM3 -> Scarlett 8i6 -> DT880Pro. I prefer headphones to my monitors for some reason. My wife prefers it when I use headphones too. :D

I recently bought the Sony model MDR 7506 Studio Monitor headphones and I love them. Can't say how they compare with this and that but for my needs they work real well. Very smooth sounding with a nice, rich bass response.

I've been using a Pod Go since last year. Like the headphones I can't compare it to this or that but I haven't had any problems at all with this unit. I use it for bass and guitar at church and get compliments all the time on how good it sounds. But it's like anything else in that you've got to work with it to tweak in the sounds you like. The soundman also gave his input which meant I had to fine adjust certain things. So if you're using it live or just at home its by no means a "plug in and play" kinda thing. A few months ago I bought a bunch of amp/IR packs from Worship Tutorials and have been putting some of them to good use. Two of my favorites are the '63 Bassman/IR pack and the free Vox AC30/IR pack. Again, you've got to work with them but when you got it, it's like "oh yeah! That's it!"

I'll be honest: I have read at the Line 6 forum of people having trouble when trying to load the Pod Go Edit program and the latest Firmware updates onto their computers or laptops. They say it turned their units into these dumb bricks that won't do anything. I am not a computer person by any stretch and I've never had a problem with either. So I can't say what went wrong on their end.

Before you buy anything, you need to carefully evaluate all the alternatives. Since no one wants to lose money on useless things. There is huge competition in the market today, and companies offer the same products at different prices to attract customers. When buying a soundbar, I spent a lot of time choosing. Users on the forum advised me of a fantastic soundbar at an affordable price. I buy the compact soundbar that transmits sound perfectly.

Last edited:
My mkv25 and Pod Go both have headphone outs. Honestly, I usually use my fender mustang micro. Sounds great, and super easy. It even has Bluetooth for streaming backing tracks or whatever. Headphones are audiotechnica ath m50x.

I have an Axe FX3 and a UA Ox which I use both with headphones most of the time - works and sounds great. I've also used the Torpedo CAB M before which was also good. I have little kids at home and usually can only play when they're sleeping, so headphones are a must.

I am a bit confused ...
why most people here focuses on/talks of/suggests changing the amp rather then the headphones ?

Back