Heading to New York...

Egads

One, Two, THIRTEEN!
Hey Gang!

I'm heading to Manhattan in a little over a week. I've got a conference for a few days, then the wife is coming out to hang out in the city. We haven't been since 2003 or so. I would love to hear everyone's suggestions for guitar shops, food, cocktails, coffee, live music hangouts, etc. Since I'm going to have time before the wife gets there, I'm hoping to hit as many guitar shops as possible!

The conference is in Midtown, but I'm flexible. We love exploring, and plan on covering as much ground as we can. We've got alost a week.

Rudy's, Umanov's, 30th Street Guitars are all on the list.

What are your favorite things to do/see/visit in NYC?

Thanks,

Eric

Time it to see the sunset at The View atop the Marriott Marquis. Did that for my Birthday last year...the restaurant rotates...they set us up perfectly to be facing west just at sunset. Fugo de Chau Brazilian BBQ, Near the MMA. Go with a hungry belly and skip all the side dishes!!

Thanks, Toothace. Sounds like a nice evening.

We've got a Fugo de Chau here, I've been once, sans my vegetarian wife. I've never eaten so much in my life!

It's been a while, but...Pretty sure 48th St has most of the Guitar shops...Rudy's is awesome...they may have two different locations in NYC, though...Enjoy!!!!

Thanks, Bill. I hear 48th has changed quite a bit, and not in a good way. I'll let you know.

So, here's a mid-trip update:

My favorites so far:

Food:
Tamarind
Flatiron Room (see below)
Spotted Pig
Any of the Poke places (I like Pokeworks)

Drinks:
Nomad Hotel bar (OMG)
Flatiron Room (see below again)
Apotheke (the level of pretentiousness is through the roof, but the drinks deliver)
Summer Garden bar at the Standard Hotel

Live Music:
We've only been a couple places, but Flatiron Room is awesome for intimate jazz. I got there mid-set of the first act, so I got to hear a couple good acts.

The Django is pretty cool, too.

Guitars are a mixed bag. Rudy's and Matt Umanov's ate cool and worth seeing. The process were mixed, with some high and some good. The S2 line is on sale at Umanov's, so get your Vela now!

30th Street Guitars is pretty cool, with TONS of pedals. GC and Sam Ash were total sh!t shows. Other than seeing Clapton's actual Blackie and 335 on display, avoid GC Times Square like your life depends on it. I almost immediately had a headache from the ridiculousness of it.

Back