Headed to PRS Day at my local shop - what to expect ?

DogPhishHead

My favorite guitar shop in the PGH area is having PRS Day this Saturday. Chris Magliocca and Bryan Ewald will be there from PRS with what is noted as "special factory selection of awesome gear" and swag.

So I assume Bryan will do some killer demos (I plan to show up just to hear him play), but what sort of special guitars make the rounds on these "PRS Day" events ? I could be tempted to spend some tax return dollars on a unique SE or S2.

Curious what you folks have seen.

I would expect a special selection of awesome gear.

I've seen everything all the way up to an Artist series, I don't think they'll be pushing the SEs or S2s as much as the cores and higher.

You might get a nice calendar or something, though. I got a purple pick, but now that I think about it, that was Chuck's', not PRS'.

That's so cool. I'm going to see Paul and Bernie here in the UK in a couple of wks. First time for me too.
Have a good time and don't forget the pic's mate. !!!

I was actually just there yesterday. No insider info, but I'd expect them to bring a couple core, S2 and SE models, maybe an artist package or two. Stuff that's not in stock at the store, so maybe a Vela, DGT, 509... But that's strictly a guess.

They do have a killer deal on an Archon 50 combo.

I was actually just there yesterday. No insider info, but I'd expect them to bring a couple core, S2 and SE models, maybe an artist package or two. Stuff that's not in stock at the store, so maybe a Vela, DGT, 509... But that's strictly a guess.

They do have a killer deal on an Archon 50 combo.
Yeah, I saw that Archon deal. If I didn't have my Mesa, I'd seriously consider it. That S2 Single Cut is a bargain too (if it's still there).

Oh lord, I just checked the website...a 2017 Trampus Green SE Custom 24 with some nice flame is now in stock. I may have to beg forgiveness tomorrow afternoon from the wife (and have a box from Oakmont Bakery in hand too)

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that Archon deal. If I didn't have my Mesa, I'd seriously consider it. That S2 Single Cut is a bargain too (if it's still there).

Oh lord, I just checked the website...a 2017 Trampus Green SE Custom 24 with some nice flame is now in stock. I may have to beg forgiveness tomorrow afternoon from the wife (and have a box from Oakmont Bakery in hand too)

I bought a strap yesterday and my wife said, "You should probably get a new guitar to go with it." I think that's a different woman than the one who gets the credit card bills.

I'm not overly GAS-ing, but I was looking at a Charvel yesterday. And there's a resonator that I've somehow avoided buying for three years...

ETA: My fear is the appearance of a 594...

Last edited:
I played a very nice McCarty 10 top through the Archon combo, sounded amazing clean. Besides that, it was too crowded and Bryan Ewald wasn't there yet, so I bailed.

Mark Lucas was making every PRS sound amazing, he played a Zach Myers and it was so sweet.

I bought a strap yesterday and my wife said, "You should probably get a new guitar to go with it." I think that's a different woman than the one who gets the credit card bills.

I'm not overly GAS-ing, but I was looking at a Charvel yesterday. And there's a resonator that I've somehow avoided buying for three years...

ETA: My fear is the appearance of a 594...

Don't fight it....you need a 594!

Don't fight it....you need a 594!

Chris regretted he didn't bring a 594 with him. NStuff isn't a "signature" dealer, they tend to have 10 or so PRSi in various levels in stock.

Man...that Archon...still thinking about that amp.

Chris regretted he didn't bring a 594 with him. NStuff isn't a "signature" dealer, they tend to have 10 or so PRSi in various levels in stock.

Man...that Archon...still thinking about that amp.

Oh, you need an Archon too! Hot, hot, hotter than hell!

BBP left too soon - or just in time, depending on how much he was avoiding me!

pns2017ewald.jpg

The man in action on a CU22. Note the adjustable bridge on that puppy!

As BBP said, Brian was a late arrival. In this pic of him and Chris, you can note a couple things. One is the green sparkle top/natural back CE24 noted in another thread. Two, Brian is describing the size of the burrito that delayed him. You can also just see the corner of the Sonzera 50W combo that Brian demoed.

pns2017chris-brian.jpg

Brian gave an outstanding demo on the Sonzera, explaining in great detail how the controls interact, especially the master volumes and the gains, then playing to illustrate the subtle differences. Made total sense after he explained everything, and it convinced me that I was wrong - I'm not done buying amps. The only thing that kept me from leaving money behind was I'm not sure if I want the 20W or 50W.

He also gave excellent explanations about some of the guitars and pickups and what makes them react and sound the way they do (see that other thread for details about the CE24).

Humbling moment of the day - Brian was talking to another gentleman about what this guy was looking for and what he wanted to know about certain pickups. All the while he's gesturing and explaining, and then he finally told Brian he's missing part of his picking hand, and said, "It kind of affects my palm muting, but that's about it." Yeah - felt about 3" tall for bitching about some of my playing shortcomings after that.

Right before I left to grab lunch before getting paid to yell at kids, I got a picture with Chris and Brian. Notice that look on Brian's face - "Yes, officer, this is the guy."

pns2017.jpg

Huge thanks to Chris for all the discussion (even though I mostly eavesdropped), and Brian for costing me money...I mean the informative demo!

OK - I give up. Where exactly is this store? What is the "PGH" area? Somehow I don't think it is anywhere near me (Southern California). Would have like to have heard the discussion on the Sonzera and listen to the amp live.
Note to PRS: Please do something like this in my area!

BBP left too soon - or just in time, depending on how much he was avoiding me!

pns2017ewald.jpg

The man in action on a CU22. Note the adjustable bridge on that puppy!

As BBP said, Brian was a late arrival. In this pic of him and Chris, you can note a couple things. One is the green sparkle top/natural back CE24 noted in another thread. Two, Brian is describing the size of the burrito that delayed him. You can also just see the corner of the Sonzera 50W combo that Brian demoed.

pns2017chris-brian.jpg

Brian gave an outstanding demo on the Sonzera, explaining in great detail how the controls interact, especially the master volumes and the gains, then playing to illustrate the subtle differences. Made total sense after he explained everything, and it convinced me that I was wrong - I'm not done buying amps. The only thing that kept me from leaving money behind was I'm not sure if I want the 20W or 50W.

He also gave excellent explanations about some of the guitars and pickups and what makes them react and sound the way they do (see that other thread for details about the CE24).

Humbling moment of the day - Brian was talking to another gentleman about what this guy was looking for and what he wanted to know about certain pickups. All the while he's gesturing and explaining, and then he finally told Brian he's missing part of his picking hand, and said, "It kind of affects my palm muting, but that's about it." Yeah - felt about 3" tall for bitching about some of my playing shortcomings after that.

Right before I left to grab lunch before getting paid to yell at kids, I got a picture with Chris and Brian. Notice that look on Brian's face - "Yes, officer, this is the guy."

pns2017.jpg

Huge thanks to Chris for all the discussion (even though I mostly eavesdropped), and Brian for costing me money...I mean the informative demo!

Alan...I may have seen you there, it was SO busy. I got there around 10:15 and left somewhere around 11:30ish. I was wearing a PRS blue hoodie. You sure that was a CU 22 and not a ten top McCarty ? I could have swore it was a McCarty as I played that axe, after Mark Lucas basically pushed it into my hands.

FWIW - I went back yesterday and bought a Taylor GS-Mini and noticed all those special guitars were gone. The Archon combo was still there though !

Alan...I may have seen you there, it was SO busy. I got there around 10:15 and left somewhere around 11:30ish. I was wearing a PRS blue hoodie. You sure that was a CU 22 and not a ten top McCarty ? I could have swore it was a McCarty as I played that axe, after Mark Lucas basically pushed it into my hands.

We definitely overlapped a bit - I was there right around 11.

I'm not 100% sure it was the CU22 - they were similar colors - but Brian made a comment about how the 22 was "such a different feel" compared to the McCarty. I didn't take pictures of the guitars, so I'm not sure if I have something that shows both.

Not surprised the special guitars were gone. I had a feeling that the CEs were temporary visitors.

It is a McCarty. The uncropped pics show the CU22 still on the wall. And it has a trem.

But it WAS a guitar - I had that right!!!

Back