Head Phones

Great cans for the money to be sure, but open backed and sometimes that's not good for tracking if you're concerned about mic bleed.
you are right here, i use those semi open DT 880s just for mixing or recording without microphones.
or even just for playing and jamming.
for that i use the closed Beyerdynamics DT 770 pro that i have for over 20 years - still great.

Last edited:
you are right here, i use those semi open DT 880s just for mixing or recording without microphones.
or even just for playing and jamming.
for that i use the closed Beyerdynamics DT 770 pro that i have for over 20 years - still great.

Beyer makes good equipment. I like their ribbon mics, too.

i love their headphones also for their comfort.
i can wear them for hours........

i love their headphones also for their comfort.
i can wear them for hours........

Yes, they're great for that.

I find the 880s very accurate, and they make excellent secondary mix references to compare with my monitors; the 770s are hard to beat for tracking when there are mics involved.

I find that the Ultrasones are also very good tracking headphones for acoustic instruments. The ones I have (650 Pro model) get a little inaccurate when they're pushed too hard in a dense rock track.

The best I've ever had here in the studio are the Grado 1000s. I sold them because my Neve summing mixer needed phones with a higher resistance figure (at least 70 ohms). But then I sold the Neve...so...

My studio is never quite right! ;)

wow you had a neve!!!

i heard only the best about the Grados.
in germany they are mostly used for hifi . i guess i should test those...

Co-incidentally I just watched the Sound City documentary by Dave Grohl on BBC Iplayer, man, what a good, deep, show. Loved it.

I just bought the Sonys.
Read the reviews on the 280s and these, and it seems like the Sonys have a slight edge.
They will be here today, going to try them out with both JamUp Pro XT on the iPad, and also for music.
Not to keen on the coiled cord, the 280s also has the coiled cord.
Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone

71beMhQopCS._SL1500_.jpg

It could just be my head, but, I could just never get my Sony headphones to sit on my head in a comfortable position.......:dontknow:

I just bought the Sonys.
Read the reviews on the 280s and these, and it seems like the Sonys have a slight edge.
They will be here today, going to try them out with both JamUp Pro XT on the iPad, and also for music.
Not to keen on the coiled cord, the 280s also has the coiled cord.
Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone

71beMhQopCS._SL1500_.jpg

I have several other Sony headphones at home and work that fit my head good, but they are not on as high a level as these.
Will report back later how they fit and sound.

OK, I really like the headphones.
They sound great with the iPad when running the JamUp Pro XT app, or when plugged into one of my iPods.
I tried plugging into just the new iPod Air without the JamUp plug thing, and they do not work.
Problem is my case/keyboard for the iPod, and the fact that the headphones 1/8" jack has threads on it to accept the 1/4" screw on adapter.
The threads will not let it go in all the way with my case on there, I would have to get a short 1/8" male/female cord to use the headphones alone with the iPad.
But if using the JamUp adapter, no problem.

They do sound great though, and they are not uncomfortable on my head at all.
They feel like I could wear them along tine with no discomfort.

Back