Head Phones

Emrys

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of headphones that are not too expensive to get me buy for the time being?

Just something to get me by record my music till I can get a decent pair of monitors.

Thanks

Several years ago, I was in same situation. I read up as much as I could and had narrowed it down to a few that a local Sam Ash had in stock. I basically sat there and tried all 3 I head read about, as well as another pair their audio sales guy was pushing. I need up buying one of the three I had in mind, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. Not sure I can say exactly why they won out over the others. Since I was planning to use for home recording, I wanted a fairly flat frequency response (not too trebly/mid-rangy/bassy). For my ears, they work well for that purpose and were 1) available, and 2) in my price range.

Everyone's unique, so I'd suggest doing like I did and trying as many as you can and pick a pair that fit your needs. Then again, I always seem to make that recommendation. I guess I'm just a picky shopper that doesn't trust other's reviews - too much astro-turfing.

If you're just tracking, the Sennheiser HD280 Pro have great isolation, probably better than most at that price point. However, the Sony MDR-7506 has better sound with a flatter frequency response. Either one of those are good, it just depends on what you're using them for. If you don't have a decent set of studio monitors, I'd get the Sonys.

Pro tip: the Sony MDR-V6 is the exact same headphone as the Sony MDR-7506. The only thing that's different is that the plug isn't gold-plated, and that's nothing to worry about.

I find the Sony's fatiguing and gave the ones I had away, but every single ear is different, especially in physical dimensions and shape, so these things are very personal, more so than with loudspeakers, because headphones sit directly around or on the ear.

I like the Beyer DT770 Pro for tracking, but it's out of your price range. They're not at all fatiguing, and they sound pretty accurate except that there might be a touch of heaviness in the bass. But I find that bass emphasis actually helps to hear the bass and kick drum, which makes them perfect for me for tracking. Maybe you could find some used ones. I also use Ultrasone 650 Pros for tracking. They're closed back, and very accurate phones, but harder to find and also out of your price range.

If you'd said mixing, the $80 Grados are the best sounding and most accurate cans on the market under $200, but they're not sealed-back phones so you probably would not want to use them for tracking.

The Senns aren't bad, and lots of folks love them.

If you'd said mixing, the $80 Grados are the best sounding and most accurate cans on the market under $200, but they're not sealed-back phones so you probably would not want to use them for tracking.

Exactly. I use those for that and my Grado in-ears (more like $300 but they sound & work great) for tracking which solves the bleed problem and also isolates me better from my amplifier(s).

I've been using AKG K240 Studio headphones for years in my studio. Inexpensive, balanced response, accurate, semi-open design. When it was time to replace them this year, I went with the same model, now the Mk II, at $109 new.

=K

beyerdynamics dt 880 edition or pro.

1012019_10201637794860996_1419887861_n.jpg

I have a pair of swanky AKG reference somethings that I bought in the 90's and never use. My old studio partner and I must've spent $3000 on headphones that clients would brake daily... I'm done with that! I now shop at this place called 5 Below for headphones- They're 5 bux and usually have a few to choose from in funky colors that are sealed and I use those to give to sweaty stinky musician types to step on. I don't find them to be any better or worse than any headphones that cost $200 or less.

I have a pair of swanky AKG reference somethings that I bought in the 90's and never use. My old studio partner and I must've spent $3000 on headphones that clients would brake daily... I'm done with that! I now shop at this place called 5 Below for headphones- They're 5 bux and usually have a few to choose from in funky colors that are sealed and I use those to give to sweaty stinky musician types to step on. I don't find them to be any better or worse than any headphones that cost $200 or less.

You're lucky, man!

I have ad music divas who come to my studio and say stuff like, "these cans aren't comfortable" or "I don't like the sound of these, have you got another pair" when I hand them $300 headphones of several varieties.

I finally started just asking them, "Do you want me to pay you for the gig or do you want me to go out and buy you new headphones, and you do the gig for free? It's your call."

No one's ever chosen the new headphones option...

AKG K240 MKII Studio Headphones - $110. Best bang for the buck on non-open. Otherwise, i go with Grado SR80's

You're lucky, man!

Nah, I just have a pile of 'em and let the singer choose some. I actually need to have a bunch not just because they break but because I need some for people with bigger hair and dreads or if they're rockin' a turban or some sh!t.

The only downside is that I can't easily replace the ones I like most because the stock is always changing. Here is my favorite pair, I wish I could grab $50 worth of 'em:

See how the AKG's headband has a crease in them? That's cause they've been sitting on a hook unused for so long!

To the OP: Look man, if you just need some cans to track on you can be cheap as long as they are sealed. If you plan on mixing on headphones.... I don't know.. Just don't. Even $200 MAudio or Samson monitors at a low volume will yield better results than mixing on some expensive headphones IMO.

I'm partial to my Sony V-6. To me they sound good, are sorta reasonably priced and you can get replacement parts.
I'd say they are the "standard of the industry" but that would start a battle.
I once tried a set of Grado, and they blew me away. They are expensive, and look fragile, but sounded GREAT!

I once did a recording with me narrating over music, and I used the Sony's. I thought it was as good as I could do.
But after making a CD, and playing it in different players, there wasn't one that sounded the same. Car, home, computer, they all lacked that "certain something."
So, you do the best you can, and send it on it's way.

I've got a set of AKG K514s which I use with my Mac and Guitar Rig 5: work well for me although I could have spent more but decided not to go mad,

I've also got a pair of Sennheiser HD219 on-ear headphone - which I think maybe have better sound quality but don't isolate things as well since they're not an over-the-ear design.

Back