Head and cab vs combo question

Prs2studio

Looking to buy a new amp. I have been using software on the Mac and want to get back to a nice real amp. I am finding that a head costs just as much if not more than a combo of the maker and am curious why. It's the same chasis correct in a smaller box. In theory you would think the cost would be less. Am I missing something

There may be specific exceptions, but the average combo is definitely more expensive than a head. Depending upon your application and preferences, one may work better than the other. However a head + cab is generally more expensive than a combo. I prefer a head + cab config for flexibility but I've had combos that just sound magical and couldn't be matched by the head-only version.

From what I have found the head alone is the same price as the combo or +/- like 50 dollars.

You'll definitely pay more for a head & cab over a combo. With combo is easier to carry; the head/cab gives more options. I've usually seen heads $100 or more cheaper than he comparable combo. Basically, the price difference comes from the cost of the speaker--more wood/tolex doesn't cost much.

From what I have found the head alone is the same price as the combo or +/- like 50 dollars.

Depends on the maker.

But as someone noted, you're talking about maybe a dollar worth of extra wood and tolex for the combo, the cost is in the speaker.

Back