He Taught Me a Lesson

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Yesterday, I thought I had chanced upon a higher meaning to life when watching a college football game. Once I'd discovered it, I was besides myself with joy.

One of the commentators had said to the other sitting next to him, "Don't worry, they'll figure it out soon enough."

To which I said (to the TV, of course), "Heck, if you people didn't make it so confusing in the first place, we wouldn't need to figure things out." I was rewarded.

Then, today, I was taught a lesson. I had hoped to enjoy some guitar practice with my recently rebuilt effects board.

What was the lesson?

Before shipping the pedal, I had rebuilt my effects board so that the correct amperage draws would be portioned out to my 2 power supplies, which could handle the appropriate mA draw.

Yet when I plugged in this afternoon and powdered up, no signal. Could it be that the repair was faulty? Not likely. So, I struggled with the effects board for about 1-½ hours, trying to learn what the diagnosis was for my no-signal issue.

Then I remembered some advice from a guitar forum member once gave: Work backwards and check each continuity point.

I first tried each pedal to check if a pedal was faulty. Nope. Each pedal checked out individually as passing signal.

Then, working from amp output to guitar input, I checked each effect cable connection at the loop switcher points, being sure that the effects were powered on, had adequate levels, and passed signal as I went towards the beginning of the effects. Each effects connector cable passed muster except for cables that were not part of the loop switcher I/Os.

The cables that weren't part of the loop switcher I/Os were then removed, and tested each for continuity with my cable tester. Each passed muster.

I couldn't figure it out. The loop switcher tested OK. What was the problem? My patience was getting thin.

I then looked closer with my flashlight at the loop switcher inputs. The dagblurn tuner was plugged into the loop switcher input, not the tuner out. I nearly peed myself, I was both so overjoyed and so pissed regards my lack of insight that I then realized something profound.

Yesterday, I was so happy I had found something universally understandable while watching a football game, but today, I was humbled because what I couldn't figure out was caused by my own two hands that created an error. Apparently, the lesson was that people make things confusing and complicated by their own hands, when if we were to keep things uncomplicated and the way life was intended, we'd not need to try to figure the mysterious things out.

Thanks, Big Guy, I owe you one and then some...

Last edited:
I am on my 6th full football game watched this weekend. 2 live, 4th on tv. Man, I’ve really enjoyed the results of my high school, UC, OSU and of course, the Bengals SUCK. I was not even looking for pedal board wiring tips at ANY of these games. I mean, I’ve watched football all for over X amount of years... WHO KNEW?

Tonight, I played live though for well over 500 people. The singer (who the band was only there to support) missed the cues and blew the intro, and then was so flustered, she messed up the words on the first chorus, and almost blew the intro to the second verse.

Afterwards, I almost wished I had plugged my tuner in backwards.

So, you’re about ready to be a “guitar straight into amp” guy, huh?

I am on my 6th full football game watched this weekend. 2 live, 4th on tv. Man, I’ve really enjoyed the results of my high school, UC, OSU and of course, the Bengals SUCK. I was not even looking for pedal board wiring tips at ANY of these games. I mean, I’ve watched football all for over X amount of years... WHO KNEW?

Tonight, I played live though for well over 500 people. The singer (who the band was only there to support) missed the cues and blew the intro, and then was so flustered, she messed up the words on the first chorus, and almost blew the intro to the second verse.

Afterwards, I almost wished I had plugged my tuner in backwards.

So, you’re about ready to be a “guitar straight into amp” guy, huh?

I usually don't watch football myself. I prefer to be more of a guitar practice, gardening, cooking, computer guy. I guess that's about the same thing as football, so there's that.

Congratulations for playing for over 500 people. My chops are still not up to snuff to even begin thinking about playing at that level, so I'm currently happy just practicing until then.

My effects board 'no-signal' issue was quite the problem trying to diagnose. Thankfully, just as I thought I had reached am impasse with nowhere left to turn, the closer look with the flashlight revealed the errant tuner connection.

You've likely never seen someone curse a blue streak and jump for joy at the same time. That was me Sunday evening.

And now that my effects board is working correctly again, it's now feeling like the "season" once again, and no need to be a "guitar to amp direct" guy. Whether that season be about football, or more joyful times because when things work correctly, life is good.

Now, if I could only say the same for my much-in-need-of-a-car-wash car. Poster child for the off-road and dryer sheet experience speaking for sure.

Last edited:
Seriously???? You do know I'm married, DON'T YOU???? :D:p

Oh, I don't doubt it. I've learned patience myself in many ways. I've not quite mastered the ability, but am cautious about being relatively joyful, because invariably, someone, somewhere, is not happy and will try to make sure I know about it.

(Read: the chef who has to make a pan of lasagna and smile through the practical jokes the rest of the family is pulling.)

Don't know if anyone ever fully masters that one...

We could all use some patience, especially when small stresses add up and might trigger us. (Am a firm believer in keeping one's shirt on, and learning to work at a steady but slower pace...) And remembering to thank others for their patience.

But hey, everyone has their own way of handling problems. Some go at it aggressively and full on. Others have cooler heads and approach life more easily.

I think I'm somewhere in between these 2, between taking a pro-active stance and a laid-back one. Which may work in some instances, but not all.

Back