HBII/P22/P24 Question: Can blend knob be changed to second volume knob?

JDutch

Hi, guys. I tried doing a search of the forum, but couldn't find an answer to this question. I have a P22 and a HBII, both with the piezo pick-up system. I was wondering whether the blend knob could be repurposed as another volume knob, so that I'd have a separate volume for each humbucker. I assume that this is possible, but would the piezo work without it being hooked up to the blend knob? Ideally, I'd still like to be able to use the piezo, I just don't need to blend the piezo with the humbuckers when both are active. Being able to activate the pizeo with the 3-position mini-toggle would be sufficient for my purposes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That shouldn't be a problem, but you would lose volume control on the piezo, and the tone would probably change a little, since you are changing the load on the signal (removing the load the volume pot puts on the signal). If that's not an issue, have at it. A good tech should be able to square you away.

I think I remember a post saying that the P22/P24/HBII piezo system cannot be used with 2 volumes. If you want a PS with piezo and 2 volumes it has to be a different piezo system.

Thanks for your help, Egads and dsenoj.

That shouldn't be a problem, but you would lose volume control on the piezo, and the tone would probably change a little, since you are changing the load on the signal (removing the load the volume pot puts on the signal). If that's not an issue, have at it. A good tech should be able to square you away.

I hadn't thought about whether affecting the load on the signal from the piezo would affect it's tone. That's a good point.

I think I remember a post saying that the P22/P24/HBII piezo system cannot be used with 2 volumes. If you want a PS with piezo and 2 volumes it has to be a different piezo system.

I'm hoping this isn't the case. If the PRS piezo system truly can't be used without the blend knob, maybe I could buy a substantially similar piezo that could be installed into the guitar. Anyone know who makes PRS's piezo systems?

JDutch,

PRS tells you that the P22 piezo is made by L.R. Baggs:

https://www.prsguitars.com/p22/

The P22 is the company’s original piezo-equipped solidbody guitar, providing musicians the versatility of wielding both acoustic and electric guitar tones in one instrument. PRS and LR Baggs partnered more than a decade ago to design the piezo system found in PRS’s original hollowbody models....
The P22 comes standard with a figured maple top, mahogany back, mahogany neck with a 22 fret rosewood fingerboard, and a redesigned PRS/LR Baggs piezo system.

Altair-IV

Back