HB II 3-way toggle bridge pickup cutting out

banditcosmo

I have a SC HBII 25th aniv and the 3-way toggle is sometimes not working on the bridge pickup, I have to keep moving the switch back and forth and sometimes the pickup will start working but other times there is no volume or very low volume. Ever since I got this guitar (used) the 3-way has been a little scratchy but then this started happening.
Is there a way to fix this without replacing the switch? I'm not even sure where to get the switch as it's not listed on the PRS accessories site. I've never messed with the electronics on a guitar so I have no clue what to do. Also I do have some DeoxIT so I wonder if spaying that in the switch would help?

https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/3-way-toggle-switch-pickup-selector

This is the appropriate switch. Bear in mind it’s not exactly easy to replace for a level 1 guitar tech. I had the same problem on a HBII that turned out to be a poor pickup replacement job which left the braided shields loose and occasionally bumping the bridge hot. It’s pretty easy for them to accidentally short something if they’re not tied together correctly and tightly.

https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/3-way-toggle-switch-pickup-selector

This is the appropriate switch. Bear in mind it’s not exactly easy to replace for a level 1 guitar tech. I had the same problem on a HBII that turned out to be a poor pickup replacement job which left the braided shields loose and occasionally bumping the bridge hot. It’s pretty easy for them to accidentally short something if they’re not tied together correctly and tightly.
Thanks Malloc :)
Costly, $55.00 then I will probably have to pay a tech to replace it. Guitar is all stock but I didn't buy it new so I doubt PRS would take care of it.

You might be able to loosen it and get a look if anything is stuck in between one of the paddles, but yes to really diagnose it will require disassembly.

I just had a similar issue with my DGT, but fixing it required access to the switch. If there's enough slack in the wiring, I'd think you could feed it over to the f-hole, then pull it back, but my guess is it would be a tad tricky.

On mine, all it took was a little contact cleaner and gently bending the tines on the switch.

alantig is exactly right the 3 pole switch can be removed through the f hole. If you do decide to remove it yourself, make sure you take some blue low tack masking tape and cover the f holes to avoid scratching them, I also lay some cloth towels over the top to help prevent dinging it. The stock switch I have in my 25th SC HB II is made by switchcraft, it’s switchcrafts right angle L-type toggle. I just checked and both StewMac and Amazon have them listed on there sites. I would try cleaning the contracts first and then slightly bend them like alantig suggested. I’ve fixed the switchcraft 3 pole switches in a 82 Hamer Prototype and a 68 Les Paul just that way. As a reminder make sure you keep the top covered while working.

Back