Hazing rearing it's ugly head

g.wizz

Nabs
Hi everyone

I just noticed this today after nearly 5 years the V12 is showing hazing on the curve of the cutaway
running up the lip on my 513

Ry28S1y.jpg

oBmAG69.jpg

yOfpzeF.jpg

On the mahogany right? My 2000 Cust24 started at the cutaway only on the maple, then other parts of the maple top. I was the original owner, PTC refinished guitar. I have hazing on the heal of the neck on my 91 Signature Series, and couple of other places. Mahogany parts only on that one. Both my guitars did not have V12.

No other part of the back or the maple top is affected the neck is solid RW, we've been having a very humid weather this year
So maybe this is taking it's toll.

No other part of the back or the maple top is affected the neck is solid RW, we've been having a very humid weather this year
So maybe this is taking it's toll.

I don’t know what causes it, read somewhere it’s water vapor escaping from the wood under the finish but PRS dries their woods thoroughly. I’ve seen it with other guitar brands also.

I just noticed this today after nearly 5 years the V12 is showing hazing on the curve of the cutaway

Every now and then I think they have a small run where this happens...whether it's a bad mix in the spray booth or a problem with the HVAC in the factory or what...5 years old ages it a 2013, right? My 408 from that year had a similar issue...sent it to the PTC and they took care of it. Have you contacted them yet?

Every now and then I think they have a small run where this happens...whether it's a bad mix in the spray booth or a problem with the HVAC in the factory or what...5 years old ages it a 2013, right? My 408 from that year had a similar issue...sent it to the PTC and they took care of it. Have you contacted them yet?
10/23/2013 is the birth date, I live in Byblos Lebanon (Middle East) so shipping is very costly not to mention the complications with customs etc... It's a No No for me brother.

By far the most disappointing thing for me, when it happens.

I'm sure they won't but will the factory fix it for no charge if you aren't the original owner? I have a Hollowbody II that has the hazing pretty badly. It was like this when I bought it a couple of months ago but I figured I could live with it for 1500. The guitar is in great shape besides that and sounds awesome it's just too bad about the finish.

P6z5w3J.jpg

3PvoARG.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone

Ry28S1y.jpg

oBmAG69.jpg

yOfpzeF.jpg
On 2 of my guitars where the same happened, buffing with a coarser compound did remove or improve significant portions of the hazing. The hazing portions were small on my guitars; in fact one occured at exactly the same spot as yours.

Just wanted to share that with you. It would seem in my case, the hazing occurs on the external of the finish.

Do you permanently store the guitar out in the open or in its case?

On 2 of my guitars where the same happened, buffing with a coarser compound did remove or improve significant portions of the hazing. The hazing portions were small on my guitars; in fact one occured at exactly the same spot as yours.

Just wanted to share that with you. It would seem in my case, the hazing occurs on the external of the finish.

Do you permanently store the guitar out in the open or in its case?
I keep it hanging on the wall all the time,away from direct sunlight.

I don’t know what causes it, read somewhere it’s water vapor escaping from the wood under the finish but PRS dries their woods thoroughly. I’ve seen it with other guitar brands also.

The high temps and direct sunlight can have that effect.

A friend works in Cyprus and his Taylor acoustic has hazing on the right hand side, that is exposed to the sunlight. As you can imagine intense sunlight and high temps, also he plays outside regularly!

The high temps and direct sunlight can have that effect.

A friend works in Cyprus and his Taylor acoustic has hazing on the right hand side, that is exposed to the sunlight. As you can imagine intense sunlight and high temps, also he plays outside regularly!
Sunlight and high temps are sure to be blamed for this and the way my 513 is hanging on the wall it is exposed from the left side but the upper cutaway is affected somehow although it's not in direct sunlight and no extreme heat. But I turn on the AC when I'm home playing guitar so is it possible that the fluctuation between warm and cold could be the culprit?

I saw this on an Ibanez Acoustic at Guitar Center. At first I thought it was a factory second, but the manager insisted it wasn't. I then realized the humidity and temperature control in the acoustic room was not functional. Humidity in the room was out of control.

Sunlight and high temps are sure to be blamed for this and the way my 513 is hanging on the wall it is exposed from the left side but the upper cutaway is affected somehow although it's not in direct sunlight and no extreme heat. But I turn on the AC when I'm home playing guitar so is it possible that the fluctuation between warm and cold could be the culprit?

The consensus of opinion appears to be, that changes in temp and humidity are the culprit.

The earlier of which is less of a problem in Scotland (usually cold and wet), however this year we have been blessed with a warm summer. Not Cyprus hot though (10:30 am and 36c - 97f)!

Laird Alnus of the clan Rubra! (Certified internet expert!)

The consensus of opinion appears to be, that changes in temp and humidity are the culprit.

The earlier of which is less of a problem in Scotland (usually cold and wet), however this year we have been blessed with a warm summer. Not Cyprus hot though (10:30 am and 36c - 97f)!

Laird Alnus of the clan Rubra! (Certified internet expert!)
Well the maximum temp we've seen in my area on average is 33c

Back