Have tuners... ever changed your tone?

Yup. Can’t do the SS. No likey the neck. No likey the knobby knobs.
Try the DC3, has the standard PRS radius, the knobs are out of the way, and has very good single coil sounds. The maple neck feels raw. I have 2. One will find a new home as soon as I get off my derriere. I had the SE EG. Same problem as you, but it sounded great.

Try the DC3, has the standard PRS radius, the knobs are out of the way, and has very good single coil sounds. The maple neck feels raw. I have 2. One will find a new home as soon as I get off my derriere. I had the SE EG. Same problem as you, but it sounded great.

Yep, I had a DC3. I sold it. I loved the neck, hated that the pickups sounded so close to those in my maple necked/Ebony Board Custom 24. I could not tell the guitars apart tonally.

But letting go of that DC3 neck made me very very sad. You are 100% right about that neck. I’m still kinda sad about the whole thing.

I will try the SS again once a more ‘core’ version is created. The vintage radius is less of a problem on that guitar because the thickness of the neck ‘hides’ the way the radius feels. If it were a thinner neck, the vintage radius would be a MAJOR problem for me.

My hand cramps up on anything that feels like a vintage radius.

The curve is very important (read that however you need to)...

o_O

I have to say if I'm hearing two different guitars producing the same undesired tone my thoughts go the amp. Have you played these same guitars through different amps and still the get "tinny" tone you don't want?

While the idea of getting new guitars or new parts for guitars is always attractive (at least to me) I think I might look at a quality EQ pedal. Something in front of the amp will definitely produce a change in tone that any average Joe can hear (chewing any type of gum). Putting the EQ pedal in FX Loop (if the amp has one) might also address the issue if you're hearing improved tone when cranking the amp.

Finally, if it's a tube amp then a quality reactive load box may be exactly the thing you need. You can crank the amp to the moon and play at bedroom levels with tone for days. I've plaed through quite a few load boxes and am more than willing to share my findings if you're interested.

I have to say if I'm hearing two different guitars producing the same undesired tone my thoughts go the amp. Have you played these same guitars through different amps and still the get "tinny" tone you don't want?

While the idea of getting new guitars or new parts for guitars is always attractive (at least to me) I think I might look at a quality EQ pedal. Something in front of the amp will definitely produce a change in tone that any average Joe can hear (chewing any type of gum). Putting the EQ pedal in FX Loop (if the amp has one) might also address the issue if you're hearing improved tone when cranking the amp.

Finally, if it's a tube amp then a quality reactive load box may be exactly the thing you need. You can crank the amp to the moon and play at bedroom levels with tone for days. I've plaed through quite a few load boxes and am more than willing to share my findings if you're interested.

Changing the amp was the first thing I tried. I get ‘tinny’ with both my Mesa TA-30 and my non-tube Quilter.

Oh I’m definitely not going to get different guitars. These two have to get new necks regardless (because I need the McCarty nut width)... the new necks are coming later this year.

Right now my EQ pedal is set with my OD pedal but it’s not used with every guitar so I will definitely try it in the FX loop for these two.

The reactive load box sounds interesting.

Changing the amp was the first thing I tried. I get ‘tinny’ with both my Mesa TA-30 and my non-tube Quilter.

Oh I’m definitely not going to get different guitars. These two have to get new necks regardless (because I need the McCarty nut width)... the new necks are coming later this year.

Right now my EQ pedal is set with my OD pedal but it’s not used with every guitar so I will definitely try it in the FX loop for these two.

The reactive load box sounds interesting.
I came within an eyelash of buying a TA 30. If you ever want to sell.........

A load box REALLY makes a difference in tone for tube amps. They just don't produce "that tone" for me until they're pushed. Even with a master volume down and the preamp pushed they're sometimes too loud; plus I like to get the last bit of punch and overdrive harmonics from the power amp.

I'm a bit of a Mesa Boogie fanboy, but the Mesa Cab Clone is not a good load box. I have two Mark 5:25 heads both with a built-in Cab Clone and (to my ear) they sound fizzy and thin and not at all appealing.

I used to own a Rivera Rock Crusher and it sounded wonderful; except the sound you got was the sound you got. Unless I started doing over the top changes to the amp EQ (both the regular EQ as well as the Mesa 5 band) I couldn't really hear a difference in the tone. It just sort of got stuck on one really great sound.

I ordered a Suhr Reactive load box and REALLY liked it. It sounded great AND I felt like I retained my amp's EQ capabilities when using it. I still have it just in case I ever buy another amp without a built-in attenuator (or get another Mesa so I can avoid the Cab Clone).

I wanted to get a Rivera Rock Crusher Recording but couldn't find one locally. I started looking online at a couple of the Two Notes when I saw the UAD Ox. I'm also a bit of a UAD fan boy. Initially I thought the Ox was over priced and didn't offer much value...... I bought one anyway because I love UAD gear. The OX is AMAZING. If you record, the Ox is simply superb. The tonal flexibility you have with the Ox in selecting cabinets is amazing. These are NOT simple IRs of cabinets, but full blown cabinet models and they sound is superb. You can choose a variety of cabinets, mics for those cabinets, how the mics are set on the cabinet, room mics and how lively the room is. You also get a model of an 1176 compressor in the signal chain as well as reverb and delay. All of these parameters are available for your tweaking. It's an amazing sounding reactive load box that supplies everything for extraordinary tone. If you can swing the Ox, I can't say enough good things about it.

The downside to the Ox is that it's a bit pricey. You DO get a lot, but it's still a pricey unit. The new Two Notes Torpedo Captor X seems to have a lot of the same features as the OX at a much more digestible price. If I was shopping today the Captor X would be at the top of my list. I LOVE my Ox, but the Captor X is something I really want to hear.

So, for your TA30 I'd jump on a Captor X and see what it can do for you from a tone standpoint. Want more oomph and punch with smooth response? Push the preamp AND the poweramp section of your amp. hoose a 4x12 greenback cabinet with a R121 mic and see what it does for you. I'll bet you'll be in love.

I’d be playing around with the pickup height (already mentioned by CandidPicker) before swapping out any parts. You replied but never said if you had or hadn’t. Also mentioned was a good EQ pedal, along with tone controls on both amp and guitar. It could be in the wiring but probably not unless they’re both wired the same.

On the other hand if you just want to venture into the bat cave and experiment for the sake of experimenting there’s nothing wrong with that. The great thing about experiments is you always learn something you wouldn’t have otherwise. It’s also fun throwing a new wrench in the old cogs just to disrupt the status quo and do something fresh.

I’ve a hunch the real problem is boredom and you’re not alone there. I’m looking for much bigger changes to an even bigger status quo, but I’ll take what I can get. Good luck whatever you decide :)

I’d be playing around with the pickup height (already mentioned by CandidPicker) before swapping out any parts. You replied but never said if you had or hadn’t. Also mentioned was a good EQ pedal, along with tone controls on both amp and guitar. It could be in the wiring but probably not unless they’re both wired the same.

On the other hand if you just want to venture into the bat cave and experiment for the sake of experimenting there’s nothing wrong with that. The great thing about experiments is you always learn something you wouldn’t have otherwise. It’s also fun throwing a new wrench in the old cogs just to disrupt the status quo and do something fresh.

I’ve a hunch the real problem is boredom and you’re not alone there. I’m looking for much bigger changes to an even bigger status quo, but I’ll take what I can get. Good luck whatever you decide :)

Both guitars are wired exactly the same. By the exact same luthier.

I had previously raised the neck pickup on one and lowered bridge... and I had to wait three months for my tech to ‘fix’ that particular experiment so I am not too excited to do that again. When I raised the neck pickup, it didn’t fix tinny; it just became an unclear mess.

The pickup heights on each guitar are set differently and are currently balanced between all three. One set was built by the luthier and set accordingly. The other set follows Fndr pickup guidance and is balanced based on that.

I actually don’t have much time to be bored with work and side hustles eating up my hours but I’d really like to be able to play these guitars as much as my other ones because I love the body shape.

I will try the EQ pedal in the FX loop.

Both guitars are wired exactly the same. By the exact same luthier.

I had previously raised the neck pickup on one and lowered bridge... and I had to wait three months for my tech to ‘fix’ that particular experiment so I am not too excited to do that again. When I raised the neck pickup, it didn’t fix tinny; it just became an unclear mess.

The pickup heights on each guitar are set differently and are currently balanced between all three. One set was built by the luthier and set accordingly. The other set follows Fndr pickup guidance and is balanced based on that.

I actually don’t have much time to be bored with work and side hustles eating up my hours but I’d really like to be able to play these guitars as much as my other ones because I love the body shape.

I will try the EQ pedal in the FX loop.

The kind of boredom I’m talking about isn’t from being idle. It’s more like a lack of freshness and it definitely wasn’t a dig on you. Without seeing the guitars or hearing what you’re talking about we’re left to make a semi educated guess. One thing that comes to mind is single coils vs humbuckers. My SSS strat sounds cleaner and glassier than my LP Custom and 594. Some might call that “thinner” but to me it’s just an expected difference and why I bought a guitar with single coils. Can’t really beat them for Gilmour-ish stuff.

A decent EQ pedal can really shape your tone. I run mine in front, not the effects loop because I want to shape my basic tone before any effects. It’s first in line after my tuner pedal. I’m sure it would work either way, I just like to start at the top and work downhill.

Adjusting pickups isn’t hard, it just takes a little fiddling because it has to be done by ear. The specs only get you in the ballpark and everyone hears differently. I usually start at about 3/32” and lower them until they’re obviously thin and then work back up until they start to get harsh, From there I go back and forth to find the sweet spot and that’s easy to hear after going up and down a few times. It’s a little tweaky but worth the effort. One tip is to keep track of the number of turns on the screws as you go.

I think it’s ok to name the guitars in question. Everyone here knows you’re a regular member in good standing with PRS guitars in your stable. In any case best of luck getting the tones you seek :)

I will try the SS again once a more ‘core’ version is created. The vintage radius is less of a problem on that guitar because the thickness of the neck ‘hides’ the way the radius feels. If it were a thinner neck, the vintage radius would be a MAJOR problem for me.

My hand cramps up on anything that feels like a vintage radius.

The curve is very important (read that however you need to)...

Interesting. I find the vintage radius gives my right hand more of a challenge than my left. I’m pretty neck carve agnostic, but I notice that it takes a few minutes to adjust to picking on the Silver Sky.

I'm a bit of a Mesa Boogie fanboy, but the Mesa Cab Clone is not a good load box. I have two Mark 5:25 heads both with a built-in Cab Clone and (to my ear) they sound fizzy and thin and not at all appealing.

I wanted to get a Rivera Rock Crusher Recording but couldn't find one locally. I started looking online at a couple of the Two Notes when I saw the UAD Ox. I'm also a bit of a UAD fan boy. Initially I thought the Ox was over priced and didn't offer much value...... I bought one anyway because I love UAD gear. The OX is AMAZING. If you record, the Ox is simply superb. The tonal flexibility you have with the Ox in selecting cabinets is amazing. These are NOT simple IRs of cabinets, but full blown cabinet models and they sound is superb. You can choose a variety of cabinets, mics for those cabinets, how the mics are set on the cabinet, room mics and how lively the room is. You also get a model of an 1176 compressor in the signal chain as well as reverb and delay. All of these parameters are available for your tweaking. It's an amazing sounding reactive load box that supplies everything for extraordinary tone. If you can swing the Ox, I can't say enough good things about it.

The downside to the Ox is that it's a bit pricey. You DO get a lot, but it's still a pricey unit. The new Two Notes Torpedo Captor X seems to have a lot of the same features as the OX at a much more digestible price. If I was shopping today the Captor X would be at the top of my list. I LOVE my Ox, but the Captor X is something I really want to hear.

I have a standalone Cab Clone. I’m happy with it, but there are times it feels a bit limited. I’m somewhat interested in the new model that will load IRs, but honestly, if I’m going to make that investment, I’ll probably go the few extra bucks and go w/the Ox Box. The flexibility and power are a bit too much to resist.

The kind of boredom I’m talking about isn’t from being idle. It’s more like a lack of freshness and it definitely wasn’t a dig on you. Without seeing the guitars or hearing what you’re talking about we’re left to make a semi educated guess. One thing that comes to mind is single coils vs humbuckers. My SSS strat sounds cleaner and glassier than my LP Custom and 594. Some might call that “thinner” but to me it’s just an expected difference and why I bought a guitar with single coils. Can’t really beat them for Gilmour-ish stuff.

A decent EQ pedal can really shape your tone. I run mine in front, not the effects loop because I want to shape my basic tone before any effects. It’s first in line after my tuner pedal. I’m sure it would work either way, I just like to start at the top and work downhill.

Adjusting pickups isn’t hard, it just takes a little fiddling because it has to be done by ear. The specs only get you in the ballpark and everyone hears differently. I usually start at about 3/32” and lower them until they’re obviously thin and then work back up until they start to get harsh, From there I go back and forth to find the sweet spot and that’s easy to hear after going up and down a few times. It’s a little tweaky but worth the effort. One tip is to keep track of the number of turns on the screws as you go.

I think it’s ok to name the guitars in question. Everyone here knows you’re a regular member in good standing with PRS guitars in your stable. In any case best of luck getting the tones you seek :)

So I have 4 fndr guitars... these account for 2, the others do not sound tinny. They all have maple boards. They are also all played through the same amps, same pedals and same ‘single coil’ setting on EQ pedal. Those are my single coil guitars.

I prefer the sound of a single coil (as compared to a humbucker) so I like the thinness you describe. I don’t like tinny though. To my ears, there’s a difference between a Strat sound and tinny.

Yeah, I’m not that kind of bored either. I get all the freshness I need by experimenting in natural healthcare. It’s a constant stream of freshness because of new ingredients and supplements. I just want these guitars to get to the point that I can play them more often because the Strat body shape is getting to me... and the Strat is my go to guitar for practice.

Interesting. I find the vintage radius gives my right hand more of a challenge than my left. I’m pretty neck carve agnostic, but I notice that it takes a few minutes to adjust to picking on the Silver Sky.

Really? That makes sense actually. On a thick neck, I don’t find the vintage radius to be severe in terms of fretting but picking is a different matter. I only have one vintage radiused guitar right now but I do notice that both E strings ‘feel’ further away, like I have to find them.

Really? That makes sense actually. On a thick neck, I don’t find the vintage radius to be severe in terms of fretting but picking is a different matter. I only have one vintage radiused guitar right now but I do notice that both E strings ‘feel’ further away, like I have to find them.

That’s how I feel - I go through a couple minutes of “where’d that string go?”, then my hand adjusts and it ceases to be an issue. But it’s always weird when it happens.

I came within an eyelash of buying a TA 30. If you ever want to sell.........

A load box REALLY makes a difference in tone for tube amps. They just don't produce "that tone" for me until they're pushed. Even with a master volume down and the preamp pushed they're sometimes too loud; plus I like to get the last bit of punch and overdrive harmonics from the power amp.

I used to own a Rivera Rock Crusher and it sounded wonderful; except the sound you got was the sound you got. Unless I started doing over the top changes to the amp EQ (both the regular EQ as well as the Mesa 5 band) I couldn't really hear a difference in the tone. It just sort of got stuck on one really great sound.

I ordered a Suhr Reactive load box and REALLY liked it. It sounded great AND I felt like I retained my amp's EQ capabilities when using it. I still have it just in case I ever buy another amp without a built-in attenuator (or get another Mesa so I can avoid the Cab Clone).

So, for your TA30 I'd jump on a Captor X and see what it can do for you from a tone standpoint. Want more oomph and punch with smooth response? Push the preamp AND the poweramp section of your amp. hoose a 4x12 greenback cabinet with a R121 mic and see what it does for you. I'll bet you'll be in love.

I have the cab clone. I’ve never been very impressed with it (except for its headphone jack). I will check out the Ox. Thanks.

That’s how I feel - I go through a couple minutes of “where’d that string go?”, then my hand adjusts and it ceases to be an issue. But it’s always weird when it happens.

I totally agree. It just takes a little readjustment, but it’s weird when it happens. I usually struggle with fretting more than picking with the vintage necks but the SS wasn’t as bad as the thinner vintage necks.

Does it have a back plate?
Another thing I cant forgive the SS.

Yes, they have back plates. I have the 3 domino EG in my avatar, and then the dc3, and that’s all I need to get by with single coils. (There is a frankenstrat all the way in the back of the case rack. And the best part? They’re both blue. The sunburst will go bye-bye even though it’s a great guitar because, well, it’s not blue.........

So I have 4 fndr guitars... these account for 2, the others do not sound tinny. They all have maple boards. They are also all played through the same amps, same pedals and same ‘single coil’ setting on EQ pedal. Those are my single coil guitars.

I prefer the sound of a single coil (as compared to a humbucker) so I like the thinness you describe. I don’t like tinny though. To my ears, there’s a difference between a Strat sound and tinny.

Yeah, I’m not that kind of bored either. I get all the freshness I need by experimenting in natural healthcare. It’s a constant stream of freshness because of new ingredients and supplements. I just want these guitars to get to the point that I can play them more often because the Strat body shape is getting to me... and the Strat is my go to guitar for practice.

I’m a diehard LP guy but I recently got a bug up my butt for a Strat. I ended up getting one of the new American Ultras, mostly because Eddie’s gave me a ginormous friend discount on it. I have to say it’s pretty comfy and easy to play. While I absolutely love my 594, I just couldn’t get on board with the Silver Sky. I also kind of wanted to properly represent the American big 3... Gibson, Fender, and PRS. I’m still a carved top humbucker fan overall, but now I know why people love their strats :)

Back