Have tuners... ever changed your tone?

Who me? Have you thought about the nut? Changing both fit and material can make a difference. My luthier and I just had a discussion about string resonance, and how having the action too low can cause you to lose the first harmonic on much of the neck. On my PRS I can pick a note on a string, let’s say octave B on the B string and clearly hear the first harmonic.

Both nuts are bone... but maybe they aren’t fitted correctly?

Certainly, that’s a possibility. Also, the break angle from the nut to the tuners could cause the tone to change. That’s where different tuners might make a difference. Then I would look at the tightness of the neck joint, where it’s bolted to the body. Last, how dry is the wood of the guitar? That’s huge.

Certainly, that’s a possibility. Also, the break angle from the nut to the tuners could cause the tone to change. That’s where different tuners might make a difference. Then I would look at the tightness of the neck joint, where it’s bolted to the body. Last, how dry is the wood of the guitar? That’s huge.

I think the wood might be EXTREMELY dry. Both guitars are 1979 models. They are kept in a humidified room and the necks haven’t shifted throughout the winter.

I know that the luthier had to install a shim in one of the neck joints. Hmmmm.

I should say that I have heard this tinny sound with one other guitar: my 2004 SE. Even the 53/10 pickups couldn’t save that guitar. Flat strings (11s) helped a great deal but I tended to think the tinny sound was due to the neck.

IMHO the only sound difference the tuners are likely to make is their bulk/weight/density. Between the nut and tuner, the only vibration is marginal, and its natural 'note' would collide with the note you are playing anyway.

It should be possible to tape a metal weight to the headstock and see if that affects your sound? (As an experiment of course. I'm not suggesting you keep it there).

Just for fun, consider clipping a "Fat Fingers" (guitar version) onto the headstock. Once upon a time, I had a guitar that tended to sound thin (but was otherwise a joy to play). The sound did seem to improve a good deal.
It does add a bit of "mass" to the headstock. Also, they say, helps eliminate "dead spots" on the neck, which bass players in particular seem to have issues with.

FWIW, I stumbled onto one a few days ago and gave it another go. It did seem to have the same effect, even on a guitar I already love. I think they cost about $20.

Just for fun, consider clipping a "Fat Fingers" (guitar version) onto the headstock. Once upon a time, I had a guitar that tended to sound thin (but was otherwise a joy to play). The sound did seem to improve a good deal.
It does add a bit of "mass" to the headstock. Also, they say, helps eliminate "dead spots" on the neck, which bass players in particular seem to have issues with.

FWIW, I stumbled onto one a few days ago and gave it another go. It did seem to have the same effect, even on a guitar I already love. I think they cost about $20.

Thanks! I will look for one of those

Couple ideas...Changing tuners, as long as they are an improvement, couldn't hurt, but is the axe (oops, sorry...;)) guitar worth it???
I've tried the "fat head" ideas on basses (years ago), and they usually tend to just slightly improve a specific dead note's tone, but also, some have said they actually just shift the dead spot elsewhere up/down the neck.
And the one that was shimmed, I'd imagine the shim's size and material could certainly change the overall sound of the guitar.

And the age old question...What type of gum is in Joe's hand, anyway???? (Wrigley's, Juicy Fruit, Bubble Yum...???)

Couple ideas...Changing tuners, as long as they are an improvement, couldn't hurt, but is the axe (oops, sorry...;)) guitar worth it???
I've tried the "fat head" ideas on basses (years ago), and they usually tend to just slightly improve a specific dead note's tone, but also, some have said they actually just shift the dead spot elsewhere up/down the neck.
And the one that was shimmed, I'd imagine the shim's size and material could certainly change the overall sound of the guitar.

And the age old question...What type of gum is in Joe's hand, anyway???? (Wrigley's, Juicy Fruit, Bubble Yum...???)

Always Hubba Bubba!

After all, he’s gonna cut it down with the palm of his hand! Oops wrong song!;)

Yeah, I think you guys are onto something regarding the shim.

Last night I found that the guitar tone filled out nicely once the amp was cranked. I typically play at bedroom levels and all of my other guitars (including cheap ones with low output pickups) sound great. These two though...

As for Joe, I always assumed he was carrying bazooka gum AND a snub nose .357.

Last night I found that the guitar tone filled out nicely once the amp was cranked. I typically play at bedroom levels and all of my other guitars (including cheap ones with low output pickups) sound great. These two though...

Oh. Well there's your problem right there! Playing louder is always gonna fatten things up.

Back