Have CE24 but looking for a Core: CU24 or 594?

Which guitar is better suited for my needs?

• CU24

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • McCarty 594

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Mark Tremonti Signature (New Option)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

CalvinF

I got my first taste of PRS from a CE24 Semi-hollow. The quality is superb, I can't wait to get my hands on PRS's flagship Core line.

Initially I had my eyes set on CU24 but I went to a guitar store and played a McCarty 594. It was equally mind-blowingly good. I thought I liked Pattern Thin neck but turned out that Pattern Vintage neck felt even better.

I think the general consensus is that I should own both but that'd be $10,000+ there. I have to space it out, get one this year, get another one next year. The question is which one first?

I intend to use this guitar for classic rock (70s/80s) and power metal. For clean tone, I usually go with my SSS strat. I don't do dive-bomb, or whammy bar tricks, so the trem bridge on CU24 is an optional feature. I do like fixed bridge given that it sustains longer. I'd like the guitar to handle high gain well. I want a darker and smoother tone (less treble).

Since I have a CE24, it has the 85/15 pickups (same as CU24). Do you think the sound is similar enough that I won't get much out of a CU24 in near term?

If I go with McCarty 594, can it handle high gain with its LT pickups? Wouldn't lower outputs mean more noise for high gain settings?

Dear PRS owners, your input is greatly appreciated.

For variety, I would say 594.
If you are not sensitive to scale length or 24 vs 22 frets you'll be fine. High gain would be fine. If you don't want to change amp and pedal settings, maybe add a boost pedal to use only with the 594... My 2p and all that....

The LT pickups in the 594 don’t really do high gain tones well for me, I much prefer the 85/15 MT pickups in my 24-08. Since you are looking to be able to do higher gain sounds with the 594 you might want to check out a used wood library 594 at Brian’s that has a 59/09 in the bridge and a 58/15 LT in the neck, that combination should work for you nicely.

I would Go 594 for the variety, and it should be awesome for the classic rock 70/80 you mention..

How do you like the ce for power metal at the moment?

Switching between the 2 may require some amp changes, (boost mentioned above as an idea). Is this going to cause you any problems ?

I think the 85/15 are a great pickup for the CE. I'd go CU24 but with different pickups. The 59/09 in my CU24 are probably my favorite pickups of all, across the board. Perfect in a CU24.

Wow, original post is almost reading my mind, and same experience. My first PRS is also a semi-hollow CE24 (trampas green) and I love it. Came to this forum and found out a lot of us are just clones of each other. Discover PRS, start buying lots of PRSs.

Similarly, I too am convinced my next guitar has to be a McCarty 594 (singlecut for me) and I'm even thinking of selling my sole Gibson (a 2006 Les Paul) to help accomplish this goal. I'm not there yet on letting that LP go.

So... I also have casually looked at S2 McCarty 594, which a lot of people seem to say is a clear bang for your buck winner - And likely would not require selling off the LP.... first world dilemmas.

For Calvin - I say decision would be easy for you - go with the 2 piece fixed bridge 594. That will push off your need for a CU24 for at least X years/months/weeks

How do you like the ce for power metal at the moment?

Switching between the 2 may require some amp changes, (boost mentioned above as an idea). Is this going to cause you any problems ?

I think the CE handles gain really well (surprisingly despite it's semi-hollow) however I haven't blasted it with extreme loud settings. This is why it got me the PRS *bug*, like I can't wait to get more. Also changing amp/pedal/software effects shouldn't be a problem to me. I usually setup everything and practice/record a repertoire of the same genre. Yeah you have a good point

Added! Good call, I found discussion relating to 594 vs Tremonti. Thanks

I think the 85/15 are a great pickup for the CE. I'd go CU24 but with different pickups. The 59/09 in my CU24 are probably my favorite pickups of all, across the board. Perfect in a CU24.

Do you buy a standard CU24 first and then swap the pickups with 59/09? or is it possible to buy CU24 with 59/09 directly from PRS?

Wow, original post is almost reading my mind, and same experience. My first PRS is also a semi-hollow CE24 (trampas green) and I love it. Came to this forum and found out a lot of us are just clones of each other. Discover PRS, start buying lots of PRSs.

Similarly, I too am convinced my next guitar has to be a McCarty 594 (singlecut for me) and I'm even thinking of selling my sole Gibson (a 2006 Les Paul) to help accomplish this goal. I'm not there yet on letting that LP go.

So... I also have casually looked at S2 McCarty 594, which a lot of people seem to say is a clear bang for your buck winner - And likely would not require selling off the LP.... first world dilemmas.

For Calvin - I say decision would be easy for you - go with the 2 piece fixed bridge 594. That will push off your need for a CU24 for at least X years/months/weeks

Haha it's a difficult first world dilemma for many of us. Actually I thought about getting CU24 + Les Paul Standard because it won't cost as much as CU24 + 594. I think 594 is trying to emulate the true vintage LP sound which is probably very rare and hard to find. Typically when people compare Les Paul to McCarty, are they technically comparing the "wrong era"? I don't know how much of the vintage sound is kept in modern Les Paul standard despite it's 50s/60s model. I like the modern LP sound but 594 just feels and plays better.

For your Les Paul, what do you like/dislike about it when you compare it to 594? Thanks

I have both, but...

For classic rock, I'd go 594. If you want to get that style/vibe of guitar, you'll get plenty from it. If you find you want a hotter output, you can (a) change out a pickup or two, and/or (b) just get an inexpensive boost pedal. Either way you'll have all the output you need.

Nonetheless, think of all the great higher gain tones old Les Pauls have gotten for the past 50 years!

The 594 will handle classic metal like Maiden, Priest, etc without a problem. However, the correct answer to this question is a Santana!

I have a 2011 cu24 with 5909s and it sounds fantastic.

I have 8 prs guitars and 3 of them will never get pickup swap.
2011 cu24
1986 cu24
1997 ce22

I too first started on a CE24 before going into the Custom 24/594 realm. My advice would be to go with the McCarty 594 first, especially if you plan to keep the pickups stock. They are lower output than the 85/15s, but you can always swap one or both of them out. I put a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge of my 594 singlecut and its my favorite guitar right now. I also like the scale of the 594 the best out of the Custom 24 and McCarty 594, but that's personal preference. And because the Custom 24 has the same pickups as the CE24 (85/15s), you won't really be adding anything new.

One thing I noticed about the CE24 vs. the Custom 24 is that even though they are both 24 frets, the CE24 feels more like a 22 fretter in terms of scale. Or it feels like the frets are bigger, i dont know. To me, its easier to swap between the CE24 and McCarty 594 than the CE24 and Custom 24 because I feel like the Custom 24 has smaller frets. I also prefer the CE24's 3 way switch over the Custom 24 five way switch. But again, that's personal preference. But I'd say you wouldn't be missing out right now by going with the McCarty 594 over the Custom 24.

Back