Has your McCarty satisfied your “authentic” itch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pseudohobbit, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Pseudohobbit

Pseudohobbit New Member

I have an Eastman SB59/v I’m thinking of parting with. Killer guitar and much better quality than any USA Gibsons I’ve played and owned. That said have an awesome 594, Cu24 and just picked up a Luke III HH.

I’m wondering if others have gotten rid of their LP or LP copies because a 594 and/CuXX covered enough ground, or did you keep your LP. I’m not parting with my PRSes, just considering letting the Eastman go to fund something different.

2. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

I’ve kept my old Les Paul, but rarely play it. When I do, I appreciate what it has to offer sound wise

WA Paul likes this.
  3. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

My LP is a Heritage. I appreciate it for what it does. Not going to get rid of it.

El Fenix and WA Paul like this.
  4. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Plugged In...On Standby Only

Yes, regards my McCarty.

Gibson SG & LP Custom, Fender, Suhr, & Anderson Strats, Suhr Classic Tele, have all been sold. Likewise with most all of my previously owned PRSi.

Culminating in my McCarty for "authentic" tone.

strat63 likes this.
  5. GADonis

GADonis New Member

I can't remember how many "I wish I had never sold that guitar" stories I've heard. But I do know how many "I wish I had sold that guitar stories" I've heard. Zero.

El Fenix and Moondog Wily like this.
  6. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

No shame here…. I have two Gibsons, both for “sentimental” value. An LP my brother gave me, and a 72 SG because that was what I started gigging on in 76. Both great guitars, but they play more on my heartstrings than I do on their steel ones.

The McCarty models I have (HB Spruce, 594 Soapbar, and 594 HB II) cover all the Les Paul/Gibson territory I’ll ever need, playing better than my former Gibsons did. The McCarty shaped 513s cover even more ground, if needed.

Other are gone, zero regrets.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I have no regrets about my 594.

Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't have all kinds of regrets. I figure you should suffer with regret like the rest of us who've sold guitars we liked. ;)

8. Pseudohobbit

Pseudohobbit New Member

Oh, I have regrets! I already have a 594. The question is with that, a Custom, a Luke, and a HSS Strat, do I really need to keep my LP copy? Is it awesome. Yeah. Redundant. Maybe.

I’m seriously thinking a good Tele would complete what I have with the two PRS guitars though.

9. WA Paul

WA Paul All dogs go to heaven

I recommend putting RW necks and trems on shorter scale SCs. As authentic as I need! Plenty of push in the lower mids, great sustain and clarity and sweet top end. Caveat - I have not tried the new SC594 with TCI pickups.

[​IMG]

10. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

Love me some PRS, but I'll always have a LP as long as I have multiple guitars. I've sworn off Gibson on more than one occasion but always come back. Even if there isn't a Gibson, there's a LP of some sort in the house. I don't have a 594, although I've played plenty, but I do have CU24s. One of them is my favorite guitar without question and another is one of my most fun guitars, but they don't scratch the LP itch for me much at all.

I'm an Eastman fan myself... SB59 is a nice guitar. I really dig their acoustics myself.

11. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

I missed this... Tele or LP is tough and a Tele would nicely compliment the guitars you have. Go for it!

If it doesn’t work out you can always grab another LP...

12. jak3af3r

jak3af3r Jake

Always have a tele.

RickP and veinbuster like this.
  13. tiboy

tiboy New Member

Love my R9. Love my 594. Different guitars. They get equal play time. Neither is going anywhere. No regrets.

El Fenix and veinbuster like this.
  14. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

Yep. Not saying an LP wouldn't be slightly different in some ways, but I don't feel the need to go looking for one. Who knows, maybe I'll happen upon one in the future, but for now, there are plenty of other things higher on the list.

15. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I've had 4 Gibsons since the early 90s. A LP Studio Lite, a SG and either a Night Hawk or a Blues Hawk, can't remember which. Those 3 were between 1990 and 2003. Then in 2017 I grabbed a new R58. It sounded pretty good, but I didn't really bond with it. Grabbed an AP Santana that just blew it away. The R58 left. I've had several 594s, the latest being the Joe Walsh Ltd. That guitar is off the charts. I'll never need a LP.

I may grab an Explorer at some point, just cuz.

RickP, Black Plaid and AP515 like this.
  16. Pseudohobbit

Pseudohobbit New Member

I was pretty convinced to keep what I have after I read the first post, then I read this. Ha! First world problems. I actually have an SB59/v. It's such a hard decision because the 594 and SB are so great. I do need a good telecaster. Found a deal on a Suhr Classic T (my SB plus cash), but it's pink and I can't stand the color. Also, I've been looking at the MM Valentine, which is wild but apparently does tele in the bridge and ES335 in the neck very well. Wish PRS made a T style guitar, but doubt I'll ever see that.

SinSir likes this.
  17. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I spent most of my life looking for a LP that really spoke to me and I found one just recently , it does not play as nice as my SCT but there is something about this LP I like and that is unusual.
    PRS has me covered with SSS guitars and I have plenty of other PRS to cover all the other bases :)

SinSir, bodia and veinbuster like this.
  18. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Played an LP Custom for 22 years, 2 fret jobs, God knows how many nuts and it never played in tune. Got an SE Singlecut Soapbar for the cost of a good fret job. I haven’t looked back since. It’s all PRS all the time.

veinbuster, bodia and Black Plaid like this.
  19. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

My 594 satisfied my "Allman tone" desire so I never bought a Les Paul.

bodia, Alnus Rubra and Black Plaid like this.
  20. Pseudohobbit

Pseudohobbit New Member

I’m really going to need more pics to make a valid assessment about these particular axes smile

WA Paul likes this.