Has the SE Custom 22 solidbody disappeared?

Proteus

Tru-Arc Bridgeworks
Or is it me?

I've looked through posts back to the first of the year, and apologize if this has been thrashed to death already and I didn't notice...

... but it sure looks to me like the only SE CU22 this year is the semi - and in the Santana Yellow no doubt left over from last year. Has the solidbody maple-mahogany been discontinued?

I haven't been following SE configurations obsessively for long, but don't I remember that just a couple of weeks ago, there was a CU22 solidbody - and that there were more SE models in general on the SE page? What else has gone away?

And (again because I haven't been following closely for long) does the website often differ from reality, either/both in models listed and in details/specs? That's always frustrating. I'd like to be able to rely on it. And if it differs from reality, what document can I use for reference? Are the price lists generally more accurate?

It sure looks that way. The CU22 solidbodies look to be discontinued throughout the whole PRS line.. it’s a shame.. my favorite Custom..

Last edited:
You'd almost think there'd be more mourners here. Seems pretty momentous to me. Hasn't it been in the line a very long time? After all these years, has the market spoken so decisively in favor of the Custom 24?

I really prefer 22-fretters myself - not that all the used ones will suddenly disappear. And there are plenty more 22-fret models in the line.

You'd almost think there'd be more mourners here. Seems pretty momentous to me. Hasn't it been in the line a very long time? After all these years, has the market spoken so decisively in favor of the Custom 24?

I really prefer 22-fretters myself - not that all the used ones will suddenly disappear. And there are plenty more 22-fret models in the line.
I agree… guess I’ll try to find a used one when the crazy prices come down

Paul has always said "if you stop buying them, we stop making them."

My guess is the SE CU22 semi and the SE Paul's have both cannibalized the sales of the regular SE CU22. And there are other 22-fret SC models too. And the 22 fret SE Mira.

The used market will support wants/needs for solidbody (non-semi-hollow) SE CU22s for a while. When that starts to dry up PRS may re-release the SE CU22 with some new feature to show some kind of evolution.

I know the CU24 is considered their flagship but I would think the CU22 would be up there. I have one and it's definitely one of my favorites. I do not own a 24 fret guitar and strongly prefer a 22. Let's hope they're just revamping the 22 now and we'll see an update!

Back