• Pickups: H-H
  • Bridge: Tune-O-Matic
  • Mahogany Body
  • Quilted Maple Veneer
  • Mahogany Neck
  • Set Neck
  • Maple Fretboard
  • Bird Inlays (Genuine Mother of pearl)
  • Drilled for Tune-O-matic Bridge (No Tail Piece)
  • HH Pickup routes

Not trying to flame, but isn't that a trademark infringement?

I mean, I dig kits and all, but am I overly sensitive in thinking it's a bit rude to ask that on PRSh's site?

I haven't tried any kit but to me, I would question the description.

I can't tell if this is a 24.75" or 25" scale length but I do know the body isn't ready for a 2V/2T control scheme. I also doubt that this would fit a Tune-O-matic bridge as that would require another set of holes further back for holding the strings. A Tune-O-Matic bridge is a two piece but this looks to only have holes routed for a stop tail/wrap around bridge.

Not trying to flame, but isn't that a trademark infringement?

I mean, I dig kits and all, but am I overly sensitive in thinking it's a bit rude to ask that on PRSh's site?

I have wondered about that myself - especially the birds on the neck. I don't know what is trademarked and it doesn't have the Paul Reed Smith signature for example but I don't know how it works. I would think its more an issue if people are making up these kits and trying to sell them as PRS guitars but I don't know if its a trademark if you are not 'trading' them. It maybe that these kits exploit a loophole in that they are not selling a completed instrument or trying to pass it off as a 'PRS' and therefore can sell the kits but if the person builds it, then tries to sell it as a PRS, they will get done for fraud, infringement of trademark laws etc.

These aren't the only ones - Crimson make a 'PRS' kit too and, whilst they have been preparing the kits and haven't come up with a name (they can't sell it as PRS Kit) they have openly said these are PRS type/style kits - similar to saying a kit is a L, T, S style.

As I said, I really don't know what is 'legal' - especially with the 'birds' - if they had different birds would that be too close too? However, that's up to PRS and their legal department to deal with. I personally think the neck and headstock are too similar, the body too that it could be mistaken for a genuine PRS when built. In the UK, we could buy Cannabis seeds, it wasn't illegal, but if you grew them, it was and I wonder if its similar with Kit guitars - ie legal to sell but when built, is that an issue legally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back