Has anyone tried one of these kits ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProgRocker, Aug 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProgRocker

ProgRocker New Member

[​IMG]

PR Guitar Kit - Quilted Maple Veneer, Birds (Genuine MOP) Inlay

$238.55 USD

Description

• Frets: 22
    • Scale Length: 628mm/24.75″
    • Control: 2V, 2T, 3-Way Toggle
    • Pickups: H-H
    • Bridge: Tune-O-Matic
    • Mahogany Body
    • Quilted Maple Veneer
    • Mahogany Neck
    • Set Neck
    • Maple Fretboard
    • Bird Inlays (Genuine Mother of pearl)
    • Drilled for Tune-O-matic Bridge (No Tail Piece)
    • HH Pickup routes

2. DougUSMC

DougUSMC Perpetual Practicer

Not trying to flame, but isn't that a trademark infringement?

I mean, I dig kits and all, but am I overly sensitive in thinking it's a bit rude to ask that on PRSh's site?

Black Plaid and LSchefman like this.
  3. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy/posts

I haven't tried any kit but to me, I would question the description.

I can't tell if this is a 24.75" or 25" scale length but I do know the body isn't ready for a 2V/2T control scheme. I also doubt that this would fit a Tune-O-matic bridge as that would require another set of holes further back for holding the strings. A Tune-O-Matic bridge is a two piece but this looks to only have holes routed for a stop tail/wrap around bridge.

4. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy/posts

I have wondered about that myself - especially the birds on the neck. I don't know what is trademarked and it doesn't have the Paul Reed Smith signature for example but I don't know how it works. I would think its more an issue if people are making up these kits and trying to sell them as PRS guitars but I don't know if its a trademark if you are not 'trading' them. It maybe that these kits exploit a loophole in that they are not selling a completed instrument or trying to pass it off as a 'PRS' and therefore can sell the kits but if the person builds it, then tries to sell it as a PRS, they will get done for fraud, infringement of trademark laws etc.

These aren't the only ones - Crimson make a 'PRS' kit too and, whilst they have been preparing the kits and haven't come up with a name (they can't sell it as PRS Kit) they have openly said these are PRS type/style kits - similar to saying a kit is a L, T, S style.

As I said, I really don't know what is 'legal' - especially with the 'birds' - if they had different birds would that be too close too? However, that's up to PRS and their legal department to deal with. I personally think the neck and headstock are too similar, the body too that it could be mistaken for a genuine PRS when built. In the UK, we could buy Cannabis seeds, it wasn't illegal, but if you grew them, it was and I wonder if its similar with Kit guitars - ie legal to sell but when built, is that an issue legally?

5. Shawn@PRS

Fakes are not cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.