Has anyone told you what guitar you sound best with?

hippietim

Not a new user...
I know we all think we know what we like best, but what do other people tell you? I don't mean from the drunk dood at the bar that goes "that guitar is killer and you RAWK". I mean from someone that either knows you, knows your playing, just really appreciates music, etc. - IOW, an assessment that you respect.

I've been fortunate to have a number of guitars come my way over the years and I've gigged most of them. In the past couple years, I've gotten the most compliments on my playing when I've played my 25th SAS NF. I absolutely love that guitar and I played it at almost every gig I had since the day I got it until I started my Stones tribute band - I've only been using hard tails. Recently I played it at a charity show we did and two different singers that know me fairly well made comments that stuck with me - one said "it's good to see you playing that guitar again" and the other said "that guitar is YOU". I guess it's a keeper - I just wish it wasn't my heaviest PRS :)

So what do people tell you?

prssas25th%20(1).jpg

Great topic!

My wife is the bass player in our band. She's got a great ear for tones in general. I got this Mira recently and I really like how it's a little brighter toned than my black CU22 of 6+ years now, both in the neck and bridge positions. I feel like I gained some clarity and definition, and it's something that's a little different from usual yet still very high quality. However, my wife says the guitar is very loud, not high-output in the sense that it overdrives my amp more, just in the sense that the frequencies it puts out are the more dominant ones on the Fletcher Munson curves. Even our drummer remarked about the Mira's ear-shattering dominance! We really have the tones dialed in with my CU22 and her Lakland Glaub.

My business partner told me yesterday that he really dug the split coil tones I got with the Sig's 408s on an ad track I just finished. Being a keyboard player, he doesn't usually say anything about guitar tones.

Made me happy to know that the Sig was a good investment!

The other guitarist in my band is a bit of a hipster, and has always said that he dislikes PRS everything. A few months back I was out of town and there was some recording going on, and when I come back I found out he was recording with my SE Akesson and SE 30 - and he's never shown an interest in my other PRSi before I got the Akesson, would hardly touch them. So that was a bit of a silent confirmation of which guitar he likes best. I've since dropped a set of 57/08's in that guitar, and he's made a few comments since about how great my rig sounds with that guitar.

Just last weekend at practice... the guys said that my Stripped 58 sounded better than the Custom 22 for the Southern and classic rock we are playing. It is thicker and has a meatier sound, but the CU22 is easier to play and weighs about 1/2 as much. I guess all that wood DOES make a difference! The CU22 is also hotter with the Dragon 1 pups... The Stripped 58 was the go-to guitar for my last band as well... I guess there is something there after all.

I don't play out or with others, but to my ears I sound best with mahogany neck and body, maple top, ebony board and 57/08's. Classic. Articulate. Chunky. Love it.

Yes, it was always when I whipped out the Tele. SO I SOLD IT!!!!! What do singers and drummers know? Busters!

My wife says I sound best when playing air guitar :(

I get that too... and Air Drums... She really hates drums.

I've comments on my Telecaster and my P22.

Last time I got to jam with another guitar player, he kept commenting on the tone of the P22. Since I really love his playing and tone that was about the best complement I could get....

I like the P22...but if it's a Tom Petty song hard to go wrong with the Tele. ;)

My wife seems to appreciate what I do, but she usually only stops and listens when I play my Larrivee D-09. Hard to believe I've had that thing for about 15 years now.

Bonni Pink Tremonti through my Diezel VH4 w/ Diezel 2x12. This combo just straight up kicks some serious butt!

Back