Has anyone replaced their P90s with Mini-humbuckers?

Paul L

Title says it all. I'm thinking about picking up another PRS (McCarty or CU22 Soapy) and, just for kicks, swapping out the P90s with Gibson mini-humbuckers. Has anyone done this successfully? Anything I need to know or watch out for?

BTW, I love P90s but already own two guitars equipped with them, so I'm looking for something a little different. Also thought this might be a fun project.

Funny, I was just commenting on another thread about a SE One I previously owned. For a while I had an Allparts Mini humbucker in mine.

SE-OneWithMiniHum.jpg

There wasn't much to watch out for, other than being careful when drilling the new mounting holes. There are videos on YouTube, one with Jason Lollar doing just this explaining how it all goes together.

Thanks John. Looks like a very clean installation. Did you have to replace pots? I know that humbuckers typically require higher resistance pots than single coils, but I'm not sure what "default" values are for P90 pots. I was also concerned about any issues regarding the depth of the existing pickup routes (although the mini-hums are supposed to be drop-in replacements for P90s).

That does look good.

I keep getting tempted to drop a set of mini hums in my SE Soapbar II. It's white, so I bet it would look slick with all that chrome and black rings.

Just make sure you get the soapbar mount minis. Pots should be fine since buckers and P-90's both typically use 500k pots.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;88336 said:
I wonder if narrow 408's would fit into a P90 adapter ring without routing the guitar.
A CU22 Soapy with triple 408s? Thanks Hans, I didn't need that idea floating around in my head!

I remember back on BAM that someone did that with a McCarty Soapbar. He loved it as I recall.

Back