Has anyone refinished a SE guitar?

Drastion

Got my se custom 24 today. Had originally planned to refinish it since it was more the body color I wanted to use and not the top. So I was hoping it would come with miss matched top so I could tear into it without much regret. Got a bunch of veneer ordered that was close to the out of hand price of the guitar. Got the veneer first because it was such an amazing looking burn I didn't want it to get sold out from under me.

Very happily I was very disapointed with the top. It looks fantastic nicely matched grain with no uneven color on one or the other side. I will post some pics tomorrow So I don't think I am going to refinish it now.

Now I am a bit stuck as to what to do. I am slowly convincing myself that I have to buy another prs se now. Its just the only smart thing to do right? So I am trying to figure out what one. Since going used this time I am going to strip it to bare wood. That way I wont have to care about the original color.

Did different years use different finishes that might be harder/easier to remove?

I have an se 245 and custom 24. Any ideas on something that would compliment? Preferably something that I would be able to show off the veneer with.

I am thinking a soapbar since I never had a p90 pickup guitar and like most things prs se I have heard many great things.

The finish is pretty hard and takes a lot of effort to sand off. You'll want to start with 80 grit sand paper and work up to higher and higher grits so that you don't leave any scratches. I would recommend getting an older style SE with the slab body shape. They are much easier to sand since the are flat for the most part (except for the belly carve, arm carve and small horn)

That's where I am leaning to. These two i already have are real nice so don't see much need to go through all that.

PTC refinished my Korina SE One - along with a new nut and some hardware mods. An SE with US hardware and a PTC setup is hard to beat at any price.

SE1_Starla.jpg
SE1_back.jpg

SE1_Starla_headstock.jpg

Just looking through this post.

prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?624-Show-your-PS!

While I may not have liked all the color choices. That's just personal taste. Every one of those guitars looked amazing. Page after page of just draw dropping beautifull guitars.

Got inspired by veinbuster's crazy wood collection. It took me so many hours of searching to find the right burl. Was looking for some camphor. Then went with some amboyna when I saw how intricate and structured it was for a burl. Has a amount of edge growth on it that I am not sure about. It makes some nice contrasting color to the piece.

I am bummed out now. Spent almost $100 on some veneer. The pictures showed swirling oranges and yellow around almost black voids. So it looked like swirling flames. Kind of like looking down at dozens of tornados lit by a golden orange sunset. Then I get it out of the box and its definetly the same wood but rather flat butterscotch browns. Really dampened my spirit for the project.

I know I wouldn't be able to make something as nice as those american prs. Just what I thought the burl was looked so unique it would be cool on its own.

Back