Has anyone played both the limited run SSH (58/15MTs) and the newer core SSH (58/15LTs)?

Goodsal

I have a 2020 Special Semi-Hollow with the 58/15MT pickups. I've always struggled with feeling that the neck pickup is too hot for my tastes and have been intrigued by the idea that the newer core version uses the lower output 58/15LT pickups. Now that I can easily buy a set of 58/15LT's, I'm considering buying those and making the swap. I do however like the tone of the MT's when coil tapped, so I'm wondering if the LT's will sound good as well. Does anyone have experience with both? I guess I can do the swap and see if I like it better, and if not it won't be hard to sell one of the sets.

Cant help with a direct comparison of the two. But.. Dibs on your 58/15MT if you decide to sell!

Last edited:
I’ve had both. The LTs will be more “vintage” sounding. The MT has better split tones. IMO, the MT has the best split sounds of all of the PRS pickups, with the exception of the Paul’s pickups post 2018.

Absolutely agree...the MT's in my 24-08 (the one in my avatar) sound incredible, both split and in humbucking mode. The neck split is heavenly, and while I don't usually use a split-bridge pickup, the tone is absolutely useable. Both together split is also very inspiring. Hands down some of my favorite PRS pickups.

Love the MT15's!

I have a 2021. IMHO, this is one of those, 'depends on your taste' things, and a lot comes down to what you've become used to, and what your needs are.

I'm not sure I'd make the swap either way. I really like both.

The guitar's volume control is your friend when a pickup is a bit hot.

"That is awfully wishy-washy in terms of an answer."

"And justifiably so."

I’m not entirely sure the LT’s would solve a balance issue between the neck and bridge positions, they’re not that far apart in output.

The way to go, in my mind, would be to get something hotter for the bridge, maybe a 59/09, and keep the MT in the neck, balancing them more while preserving the split sound of the neck MT.

If I did swap the MT’s for LT’s, is it a straight exchange or do I need to add a resistor to match the wiring in the new core SSH?

Can someone who has the newer core SSH tell me if the wiring uses resistors to give more output to the 58/15LTs when split, or if there are no resistors meaning the humbuckers are effectively split completely down to just one coil? The limited edition version I have from 2020 with the MT’s doesn’t need resistors because the pickups are designed to be tapped not split. If I swap to the LT’s I’m trying to figure out if it’s more than a straight swap to achieve the current core specs.

Can someone who has the newer core SSH tell me if the wiring uses resistors to give more output to the 58/15LTs when split, or if there are no resistors meaning the humbuckers are effectively split completely down to just one coil? The limited edition version I have from 2020 with the MT’s doesn’t need resistors because the pickups are designed to be tapped not split. If I swap to the LT’s I’m trying to figure out if it’s more than a straight swap to achieve the current core specs.
Goodsal, did you find out about the resisters? I too have a 2018 SSH and want to get out of the mud zone into clear water. have a set of 58/15 LT here now that they are selling them and trying to figure out what to do.

No, I didn’t get a response. Let’s resurrect this thread and see if anyone has any suggestions.

No, I didn’t get a response. Let’s resurrect this thread and see if anyone has any suggestions.
Hi, Did you put the LT's in? Volume drop?

Not allowed to post links yet, but looking at the PRS West Street Accessory store, Item "Mini Toggle - 6 lug DPDT [SE Products] Cu24-08, STD 24-08, PG" matches what I see in my SSH Accept the bare metal jumpers in my installation are bent to squeeze the toggle bodies right close together like lovers on a cold night.

Looking at Item "Mini Toggle - 9 lug 3PDT with 220 pf Cap [USA Products] Special, CU24-08, PG" which is the drop in for current models with TCI and Caps, I see that the Space between them is tight also but that the switch bodies are wider to accommodate 3 extra lugs. so not a drop in solution. $60 for 10 bucks in parts too.

I'm considering buying some 9 lugs somewhere else and seeing if they fit rotated 90 degrees.... but not only will the change in orientation further confuse my week little brain it looks like a tight fit and the jumpers will need a not so clean path....

I have posted in to the page 7 of

"PRS Wiring Mods Resource Thread"​

as one of the responses to a 408 guy gave me a glimmer of hope...

Happy new year!

I have the same model as you. I had a set of the LT’s installed in mine last year, and now I’m going to put the MT’s back in. The MT’s are much more articulate than the LT’s, and all you have to do is lower the MT’s height to calm it down a bit. Like you, I really like the split coil sound of the rhythm pickup, but was looking for a bit more power from the bridge. I’m thinking of putting a 59/09 in the bridge and reinstalling the MT neck pickup, now that I think of it.
I’ve been listening to recordings of my band over the past year, and the MT’s seem To have more “presence”, overall than the LT’s…in the Special SH. The LT’s sound great in the 594, due to the 2 piece bridge and shorter scale, I believe. The LT’s are more in the “vintage” camp, than the MT’s. Now all I have to do is find a 59/09 with a chrome cover..lol! Either that, or use the squabbin 59/09 I have, and go for the Tremonti look…? ymmv.. good luck!

I have the same model as you. I had a set of the LT’s installed in mine last year, and now I’m going to put the MT’s back in. The MT’s are much more articulate than the LT’s, and all you have to do is lower the MT’s height to calm it down a bit. Like you, I really like the split coil sound of the rhythm pickup, but was looking for a bit more power from the bridge. I’m thinking of putting a 59/09 in the bridge and reinstalling the MT neck pickup, now that I think of it.
I’ve been listening to recordings of my band over the past year, and the MT’s seem To have more “presence”, overall than the LT’s…in the Special SH. The LT’s sound great in the 594, due to the 2 piece bridge and shorter scale, I believe. The LT’s are more in the “vintage” camp, than the MT’s. Now all I have to do is find a 59/09 with a chrome cover..lol! Either that, or use the squabbin 59/09 I have, and go for the Tremonti look…? ymmv.. good luck!
Do you play clean a lot? Im glad to hear that so many people like the MT's, I should have no problem selling them! I just cant get any spank, they are just lifeless to me. I love my vela and its bridge pick up. But the MT's mean changing the EQ a lot to find something that is non existent. What i'm looking for is not in there. Its like playing a P bass with flats and a foam mute looking for a modern sound.

Ive got a set of Fralin Unbukers here that I would put in tonight if I could figure out the wiring. But I think the SSH has one pickup wired out of phase or something so that it can work with the NF in 2 and 4.... Im way too dumb to figure it out. Spent the whole day reading about HB wiring, but everybody uses different wire codes and different terminology so figuring it out is impossible. also there is no Wire Code or Wire Diagram for my generation of SSH on the PRS site so nothing to compare it to.., and the ones posted here by different users do not match each other so I don't know who to trust..... to wire the LTs I just picked up like the current ones (where there are diagrams) I need new toggles with 9 lugs and Im not sure if I can fit them in because the switches are placed closer together on the older SSHs and the 9 lug toggles have a larger body than the 6 lug toggles....

Nobody states how they play also so understanding their description of the sound is impossible. I was on a Bass forum once and these guys were going back and forth about tone of X and Y... then they posted links to their sound... lol their EQs were set to the sound of glass breaking and their guitar players were the ones pushing the bottom. Its all very hard to decipher.

What do you play? What do you play though? at what kind of settings?

I play a just about anything, but classic rock, blues and roots/indie music, is where I live. My main amp right now is a Tone King Imperial. I also use a Dr. Z “Z plus, a 1968 Fender Deluxe reverb, and a modified 1970’s Marshall 50 watter I call “mighty mutt”. The amp I use most is the Tone King. It has a built in Iron Man attenuator, that really works. My basic tone is clean/slightly pushed, but I control the amount with my volume knob. I use a drive pedal sparingly, along with a dab of occasional chorus, a dash of reverb, and a splash of delay if I’m in the mood..lol.
My wife bought my 2019 Special semi hollow Ltd, for my birthday when they first came out. A friend of mine helped her pick it out, and it‘s a killer…not a 10 top, but it’s at least an 8 1/2 for sure. It’s my primary player along with my custom 24, and couple of older Fender custom shop bolt-on types...and a few other assorted gitboxes.

Back