Has anyone fitted a Floyd Rose to a SE Cu24?

godoy.rafa

I don't like the stock trem. So I want to put a Gotoh G1996T in my guitar.
The only challenge would be to drill holes for the posts? Or would I need to route something else?
Has anyone done this project?
Ps. Selling the guitar and buying another that comes with a floyd is not an option.

Thanks!

I don't like the stock trem. So I want to put a Gotoh G1996T in my guitar.
The only challenge would be to drill holes for the posts? Or would I need to route something else?
Has anyone done this project?
Ps. Selling the guitar and buying another that comes with a floyd is not an option.

Thanks!

You're better off with a MannMade NOS2000 trem, and some locking tuners.

I have locking tuners and Tusq nut, so maybe the Mannmade bridge would make a big difference?
250 bucks is very expensive! Is this the only one that fits?

I don't like the stock trem.

Just curious... what don't you like about it? If considering the MannMade immediately as an alternative it probably isn't the way the tremolo feels?! I have two PRS SEs with the tremolo and a PRS CE24 (which has the same tremolo) and absolutely no tuning issues. Or is it the tonal differences you're after?

ust curious... what don't you like about it?

That's the key question right there.

You could do a non-recessed Floyd install fairly easily if you have a drill press. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get the action low enough, though. A recessed install is more involved and requires a router. But either way, you have to figure out how to add the locking nut. After you go through all that time, expense and effort, the direct-replacement $250 MannMade seems like a great deal unless you just HAVE to have a Floyd.

Like Eddie pointed out, John also offers the SE upgrade kit, plus he now offers a nice two-piece bridge that's cheaper than the NOS.

Just curious... what don't you like about it? If considering the MannMade immediately as an alternative it probably isn't the way the tremolo feels?! I have two PRS SEs with the tremolo and a PRS CE24 (which has the same tremolo) and absolutely no tuning issues. Or is it the tonal differences you're after?

It is not about tone, I feel the stock trem isn't too stable. I get a little bit of detune when I use it, specially at the G string.
Maybe the knife edges aren't too sharp and the trem doesn't return to the zero place after use?
I might try to enlarge the nut holes before anything else, as the G string bight get a little stuck in there.
I have tried Tusq saddles - didn't like the tone, took 'em off.
i have a brass sustain block, this one I like.

Definitely make sure the nut is sorted. That's the number one culprit for tuning instability.

Also make sure the saddles aren't too worn. The strings can catch on burrs and go out of tune or break.

It takes a lot of use to wear down the knife edges and the mounting screws, so they're probably alright but worth a check if the guitar has seen a lot of trem use.

Finally, remember it's not a double locking system, so there will always be at least a little bit of instability with heavy whammy bar use.

Definitely make sure the nut is sorted. That's the number one culprit for tuning instability.

Also make sure the saddles aren't too worn. The strings can catch on burrs and go out of tune or break.

It takes a lot of use to wear down the knife edges and the mounting screws, so they're probably alright but worth a check if the guitar has seen a lot of trem use.

Finally, remember it's not a double locking system, so there will always be at least a little bit of instability with heavy whammy bar use.

Okay. I'll check everything before tonight's rehersal and see if I feel any difference. Thanks!
BTW, I got some rust in by trem, where the hand stays. I live close to the beach and used to leave the guitar outside the bag, so it got some corrosion unfortunately.

I feel the stock trem isn't too stable. I get a little bit of detune when I use it, specially at the G string.
I had this on another guitar with the g string. You can easily do a simple test:
Pluck the empty g string. Now push it down a bit between nut and tuning pet on the headstock. Pluck the string again. If it's higher and get's back down to the previous tone after slightly bending it then the string gets probably stuck in the nut. Cleaning/using something like nut sauce might fix this very easy.
Maybe you're using a set of .10s when the PRS SE came with .09s?

I had this on another guitar with the g string. You can easily do a simple test:
Pluck the empty g string. Now push it down a bit between nut and tuning pet on the headstock. Pluck the string again. If it's higher and get's back down to the previous tone after slightly bending it then the string gets probably stuck in the nut. Cleaning/using something like nut sauce might fix this very easy.
Maybe you're using a set of .10s when the PRS SE came with .09s?

I will try that!
I'm using .09s.

So last night I used a 400 grit on the nut slots and lubed them. The result was great, I had no detune at all after 2 hours playing and using the whammy bar (but gently).
I also did the "push it down a bit between nut and tuning pet on the headstock" test and had no issues.
Looks like the stock trem is good after all.
Thanks for the tips guys, this forum is great!

BTW I have a 2011 model with Duncans JB/Jazz, brass block, Grover locking tuners, Black Tusq nut, CTS pots and a mini switch replacing the blade one.

So last night I used a 400 grit on the nut slots and lubed them. The result was great, I had no detune at all after 2 hours playing and using the whammy bar (but gently).
I also did the "push it down a bit between nut and tuning pet on the headstock" test and had no issues.
Thanks for the tips guys, this forum is great!

BTW I have a 2011 model with Duncans JB/Jazz, brass block, Grover locking tuners, Black Tusq nut, CTS pots and a mini switch replacing the blade one.

Nice! Ready to rock! Glad we could talk you off the ledge.

Always great to hear people can get happy with what they already have by minor fixes :)
I have a 2011 model with Duncans JB/Jazz, brass block, Grover locking tuners, Black Tusq nut, CTS pots and a mini switch replacing the blade one.
Sounds like some very nice specs, hope it'll serve you well many gigs to come :)

Back