Has anyone changed the pickguard color on their S2 Vela?

Raykpt

I have the antique white w/ black pickguard. I'm contemplating changing out the pickguard for either tortoise or pearloid white.
Does anyone have pictures of Vela's with a pickguard other than stock?

Thanks!

Quick and REALLY dirty Photoshop. I'll try the tortoise when I get home later today.
white_edited4-1_zpskssm820q.jpg

I personally love the white pearloid. Tortoise doesn't do it for me.

Last edited:
Not yet... I've got a tortoise waiting for my reclaimed whenever it shows up though... ;)
hello,

i have a vela and am going to order a replacement tortoise pickguard...do you know of any video on how to do this, or does it require any disassembly from the controls, or does the pickguard just lift off...thanks

I have the antique white w/ black pickguard. I'm contemplating changing out the pickguard for either tortoise or pearloid white.

Thanks!
hello, I would like to know if it is difficult to change out the vela pickguard....is it attached to the pots, controls, pickups, etc.....thanks

hello, I would like to know if it is difficult to change out the vela pickguard....is it attached to the pots, controls, pickups, etc.....thanks

It is easy to do, but the pickups and controls ARE mounted to the pickguard. It's not difficult to disassemble the 'guard though.

if you have to ask, I recommend you invest some time watching youtube videos to learn and get a cheaper guitar to practice on first.
It's not that hard, but some folks aren't very .... mechanically inclined or handy with tools.
Good basic skills to have, but if you're not confident, you might wanna just pay a pro to do it...

if you have to ask, I recommend you invest some time watching youtube videos to learn and get a cheaper guitar to practice on first.
It's not that hard, but some folks aren't very .... mechanically inclined or handy with tools.
Good basic skills to have, but if you're not confident, you might wanna just pay a pro to do it...
thanks, but I have searched youtube for a 'how to' video...no result....but will give it a go....don't need any special tools so I have been informed...thanks again for replying.

It is easy to do, but the pickups and controls ARE mounted to the pickguard. It's not difficult to disassemble the 'guard though.
thanks for the reply....shawn at prs said same....from what I have been informed, basic screwdriver and some confidence are required....
my pickguard that came with my vela started to lift up in back of the bridge pickup...no big deal, but with a mcarty burst, thought I might change out the black for the tortoise guard.....thanks again...btw, love the guitar....lightest nicest piece of wood I have ever had....all tones great....

Right on, man!!!! It will look great with a tortoise guard!! If I ever get another Vela that's the plan for it :) Good luck, and have no fear - it's quite simple!!

Right on, man!!!! It will look great with a tortoise guard!! If I ever get another Vela that's the plan for it :) Good luck, and have no fear - it's quite simple!!
thanks man for the vote of confidence and your reply
will post a photo of my vela when I figure out how to do it....your guitar sure looks nice....

Thanks!
sounds like it would look nice....I am thinking also about a tortoise guard to replace my black guard which is lifting up in back of the starla pickup...no big deal, but the tortoise against my mcarty burst would look absolutely sharp...
been told that changing out the guard is not that difficult, even though controls and pickups are attached to guard....
I don't think there is any special tools other than a scredriver....

Back