Has any one tried EV12L's for a 2x12 cab with 50 watt amp?

Good question, I have been wondering myself...

I have an OS 2X12 Bogner with V30s. I have a 2X12 Marshall with Greenbacks. The Bogner cab sounds better with Marshall, Mesa, Shiva, Lynx. My Two-Rock Studio Pro 50 sounds amazing with the Greenbacks. T-R sounds like crap with Bogner Cab and Bad Cat 1x12 with a V30. I think it sounds just plain bad with V30s.

I want a new 2x12 for the T-R. I am thinking a Kerry Wright 2X12 with an EV12L and something else, maybe a Greenback. Maybe a pair of EV12Ls, but it would weigh as much as a 4x12 cab...

What kind of amp are you using? What kind of music do you play? What kind of cab do you have/are you thinking about?

I have a 25 th anniversary with 2x12 pine cab vintage 30's. 2x12 birch cab with one celestion alinco blue and one gold used with re issue jtm 45 that is now sold. Considering a new amp purchase that stays clean longer without breaking up at louder volumes (MDT like Brent Mason's or comparable twin, ect...) Looking for stereo.

I primarily play for my church but I also play country, blues and classics (allman bros. primarlily). Due to work right now I only play on sundays.

EV 12L's would go into a birch enclosure to play with 25th anniversary. I have heard that EV12L's are great for 100 watt amps but I do not know how they are with 50 watt amps.

I have an OS 2X12 Bogner with V30s. I have a 2X12 Marshall with Greenbacks. The Bogner cab sounds better with Marshall, Mesa, Shiva, Lynx. My Two-Rock Studio Pro 50 sounds amazing with the Greenbacks. T-R sounds like crap with Bogner Cab and Bad Cat 1x12 with a V30. I think it sounds just plain bad with V30s.

I've had several TRs (great amps!), and they do sound very good with Greenbacks.

TRs are bright amps with a lot of upper midrange, and the V-30s are pretty bright speakers with gobs of upper midrange, so the combination tends to get somewhat ice-picky. Also TRs sound better with open or semi-open backed cabs than they do with closed-back cabs. I will say, though, that I did a lot of recording with the Onyxes I had and a closed back Bogner OS 2x12. Sounded pretty bad in the room, but great through a 57. So there's that.

The best cab I ever used for recording a Two-Rock was a vintage late 60s/early 70s Marshall 4x12 with the original Greenbacks. It was amazing sounding. But I also thought that both my Onyx Sigs and Custom Reverb Sigs matched up very well with Mesa Black Shadow 90s (basically Celestion 80s tweaked for Mesa). Oddly enough, I liked these combinations better for my music than the matching TR 212 with TR65 speakers, though that was also a nice cab with the amps for certain styles, just a little less "rock & roll."

Whoa, 25th Anniversary Head & 2x12 cab? I wouldn't change a thing.

50W and 2 EV12Ls I think would be overkill. You could experiment with 1 EV12L and some other speaker...but I would leave well enough alone and maybe look at a different cab & speaker(s)

EV12L will work with a 50W amp. I have a friend that plays in a funk band with a Port City OS 1X12 with an EV12L. Sounds great, it takes alot to get it to break up.

I've had several TRs (great amps!), and they do sound very good with Greenbacks.

TRs are bright amps with a lot of upper midrange, and the V-30s are pretty bright speakers with gobs of upper midrange, so the combination tends to get somewhat ice-picky. Also TRs sound better with open or semi-open backed cabs than they do with closed-back cabs. I will say, though, that I did a lot of recording with the Onyxes I had and a closed back Bogner OS 2x12. Sounded pretty bad in the room, but great through a 57. So there's that.

The best cab I ever used for recording a Two-Rock was a vintage late 60s/early 70s Marshall 4x12 with the original Greenbacks. It was amazing sounding. But I also thought that both my Onyx Sigs and Custom Reverb Sigs matched up very well with Mesa Black Shadow 90s (basically Celestion 80s tweaked for Mesa). Oddly enough, I liked these combinations better for my music than the matching TR 212 with TR65 speakers, though that was also a nice cab with the amps for certain styles, just a little less "rock & roll."

Right on. Les. T-R with Greenbacks or CL80 rocks!

Whoa, 25th Anniversary Head & 2x12 cab? I wouldn't change a thing.

50W and 2 EV12Ls I think would be overkill. You could experiment with 1 EV12L and some other speaker...but I would leave well enough alone and maybe look at a different cab & speaker(s)

EV12L will work with a 50W amp. I have a friend that plays in a funk band with a Port City OS 1X12 with an EV12L. Sounds great, it takes alot to get it to break up.

The EV12L for clean tones is what I am looking for and may be at better use with my second amp purchase. Still demoing, undecided at this time.

I don't have EMV12Ls, plural, in anything but can highly recommend a barely smaller but lighter choice: I bought an over-sized Fuchs 112 cab with the EVM12L, including a solid or partial back via removable panel over approximately 1/3 of the back. It's well over-sized, pretty heavy but not so much as a 212. It sounds bigger, much fatter and deeper than a normal 112, getting into unexceptional 412 country. A Mesa slant 112 with the Thiele port would probably sound much the same; you'd have a leftover Black Shadow speaker. You're definitely on the right track, especially for clean playing techniques. BTW, I'm often using a very wonderful, 100-watt EL-34 Mesa Royal Atlantic head with the Fuchs 112 and EVM and a Mesa 412 with V.30s as well, both glorious for clean tones but the Mesa buzzes. I fear it's a speaker cone problem. I'd get four EVMs in it or Alnico Elegante 12"s from Austin SpeakerWorks if $$ were less of a concern, but would also have to hire somebody moving the Mesa 412 (as well as the heavy head) if gigging with the beasts...

Last edited:
Back