Hard To Port - Transhumance

shinksma

What? I get a title?
My band, Hard To Port, has just released an album called Transhumance. It can be previewed at CD Baby:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hardtoport

It is all original songs except for two medleys of traditional Irish and American Folk tunes. We categorize ourselves, somewhat reluctantly, as "Celtic Fusion". As I described it:

An eclectic mix of original singer-songwriter, rock'n'roll, and Celtic folk songs, blended with Traditional and Celtic tunes.

Rock'nroll/Folk/Singer-songwriter influences include Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Janis Joplin, Jimmy Buffett, James Taylor, Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, and a million other artists, I'm sure - we listen to a wide range of stuff. And we are also steeped in trad (and not-so-trad) Celtic tunes and songs.

Four of the five of us have vocal leads, with three of us contributing the majority of the songwriting - one of the songs was co-written by a member's sister, who came up with some great lyrics. Strong story-telling lyrics are important to us.

I do a fair bit of lead guitar work on the album (using a variety of PRSi), along with rhythm guitar (using my SE Angelus Custom), mandolin, electric bass, and banjo (!).

Other members play guitar, whistle, recorder, fiddle, bodhran, cajon, stand-up bass, and a variety of other percussion instruments.

We recorded in a personal home studio, and mixed and mastered ourselves too. Artwork and layout also done by the band, with cover art by the wife of one of the percussionists. Here is the album cover (cdbaby link, so it should be more permanent that my photobucket, for example):

hardtoport.jpg

The album is by no means over-produced - we aimed for a slightly raw feel, to match how we typically perform the songs. I held myself back from doing a full-blown Phil Spector wall'o'sound.

So feel free to listen to the 30-second samples, I'm trying to judge whether one or more full-length previews are a good idea.

You can also check out some videos posted on our website (audience recordings, so not the greatest audio):

http://hardtoportband.com/

We're very proud of what we have released, and hope our fans like it too!

Additional backstory, for those interested:

So I'm in a band - I mention it every now and then. We're serious about our music, but we are all well out of our 20s, and all have day jobs that are far more steady and lucrative than trying to start a music career. Most of us have played music for decades, but only a couple have been "serious" musicians for most of that time (i.e. in gigging bands) - for example, I've been in garage/basement bands with friends for years, but we never did any gigs, just messed around - I've only been gigging for about 4 or 5 years now.

Nonetheless, we love playing, and one of our members, Jenn Weidley, has been making CDs for a couple of decades in other bands or as a solo act.

Jenn was working some of her latest songs for another solo album with the rest of us as session musicians, essentially (and we were OK with that!), but two other in the band, including me, have started writing and coming up with material that works well with our "sound". So it transformed into a band album. A couple of songs were essentially in the can, and then we spent a weekend doing the basic tracks for the remaining songs. We listened to the rough mix for a week, spend a couple days the next weekend cleaning up the mix and adding additional nuances (like cow bell!), re-doing my guitar leads for the older tracks that had already been in the can, and wrapped it up late the week after. So a total of two weeks, really, and we had an album done! I'd also put together the album artwork package in the meanwhile, which was fun - I'm not a graphic artist by trade, but everyone seems to think it looks good.

We have over a dozen songs already written for our next album...so Hard To Port's sophomore release could be out within a year or so!

Thanks guys!

I must admit, the Celtic Fusion slant is very far from where I thought I would be if I ever actually got in a band and recorded an album. I've been a metalhead forever (Priest, Maiden, etc), and am now deeply into the so-called "current prog rock" scene (Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson, Opeth, Riverside, Anathema, John Wesley, I could go on forever), and I've been a Floyd Droid forever. Plus other more rock'n'roll bands from my native land of Canada like Sloan and The Tragically Hip, and of course Neil Young. And modern blends of similar stuff like Radiohead (wait, are they "classic rock" yet?). And I am really into a wide variety of music for general enjoyment, my guilty pleasures if you will, including some hip hop, trip hop, electronica, and country (both what might be called "trad" country a la Johnny Cash, slightly pop-leaning country like John Denver, and new/pop country a la Luke Bryan). And E.L.O. is most awesome, of course (my first album was the cassette of "A New World Record", and I love pretty well everything Jeff Lynne does). And I like all phases of Tangerine Dream, which range from true ambient/bizarre psychedelia to electronica dance/house music to almost-new-age to [I don't know what the heck Green Desert was]. And the modern equivalents like Boards of Canada or Sianspheric. And I like some of the extreme metal "genres" that would include Cradle of Filth or Meshuggah. (Or maybe they are considered tame by today's standard?)

O.K., I have a wide set of off-the-wall influences.

Anyway, Celtic / Folk was about as far from where I thought I would be as I could imagine. Nonetheless, there are certain very interesting aspects, and I love it when I "interfere" with something that starts out sounding very trad and I interject something rock'n'roll or proggy, and I get nods of approval. I also, at different times, get stares of doom, accompanied by shaking heads and disgusted looks, of course.

Trad Celtic also likes to tell a story through both the music and the words, which has always been an important part of why I like what I like, whether it be Floyd, other "prog rock", ELO, or John Denver.

O.K. session is over, how much do I owe the shrink?

Back